Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Got it. Many thanks!

1 Like

Bethan Gwanas, who writes in a more northern style, uses “Ydi” in her books. I’ve only read two so far, but she was consistent in using Ydi over Ydy.

1 Like

My wife’s family all write it as ydi. My brother in law even told me it’s ydi before hi. I quite like the idea of ydo as the masculine equivalent :joy:
(neither is true of course)

2 Likes

As in, “Hi ydi hi, campers!”

I’ll show myself out…

4 Likes

What’s the difference between oll and holl ?

As far as I know, ‘holl’ tends to be used when preceding a noun or a pronoun, otherwise it’s ‘oll’ (as always, there are exceptions), but to be honest, the difference is so subtle that very few people will even notice which you use in speech.

Think you might be right. I’m getting a lot more google searches for yr oll dwi’n for the english all I. Thanks

1 Like

This question might have been asked already, but for words beginning with the prefixes cyd-, cyf-, cyn- etc., usual pronunciation rule suggest pronouncing them kuhd-, kuhv-, kuhn- etc. However, many people seem to pronounce them as kid-, kiv-, kin-. Are both type of pronunciation “correct”?

yes - they’re basically just regional differences/preferences.

1 Like

I really do think people on here are going to love the new book. :slight_smile:
Here’s a sneak preview:

11 Likes

…when is it due out @garethrking ?

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dwlen i, is this a variation of I should?

I know on the southern course, we’re taught *Dylen i * instead of the standard Dylwn i

Thanks in advance. I’m going to be on this particular thread a lot mwy na thebyg!

The book is written and ready, @rich - we’re just sorting out the cover and the exact title, and making final corrections and additions. But basically we’re about ready to go in the next week or so. Therefore out by March/April, hopefully?

6 Likes

Actually, no. Dwlen i comes from dwlu, which is a (southern) way to express fondness/liking, so it would roughly translate to “I’d love to (do something)”

2 Likes

I’m reading the Bethan Gwanas adaptation of The Owl Service, and have come across a phrase a few times which, from context, clearly means something like “I wouldn’t be a bit surprised.”

Can anyone help with more detail on Synnwn i daten?

When I looked for taten in the GPC, all I got was a potato (so to speak); and when I searched for the whole phrase online all I got was more untranslated Bethan Gwanas…

Not quite the same but Geiriadur Gymraeg Gomer maybe provides a clue with dim taten o ots/hidio dim taten translated as “don’t care in the least”

1 Like

Maybe it is potatoes, then, as being things of small importance/worth. Small potatoes, as 'twere.

2 Likes

Ah yes, of course! I’d forgotten about the expression ‘small potatoes’

What’s the deal with double pronouns? Like eich plant chi or (I think) dy chwaer ti? They drive me crazy. Sometimes the bit after the noun is there and sometimes not. I’ve been waiting patiently for the lightbulb to go off for several weeks but have to ask for help now. Pretty please :cold_sweat:

3 Likes

I may be wrong but I have a feeling that whether you use one or both is mostly just a matter of personal preference :slightly_smiling_face:, although maybe using the pair adds a touch of emphasis …

4 Likes