Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Well although I’d read it simply as “Might be an idea to check…etc”, a couple of nuanced meanings of syniad that seem to fit would be ‘common sense’ or ‘prudence’, so “It might be prudent to check… etc”.

Also, so sorry to hear about your Tad-cu. I lost one of my Granchers (S.E Wales Wenglish) at Christmas too, but long ago now. It’s bad enough to lose them anytime, but it’s especially difficult at Christmas. x

2 Likes

Light hearted question.
What is the (ultra) Welsh word for banana, please. The one that never gets used. I dont just mean “Nana”.

I’m just discussing it with a Welsh 1st language speaker and he’s never heard of one as it is international. I can’t find it in a dictionary either.

Any ideas?

It’s ‘ffrwchnedd’.
It’s a relatively recent word apparently:

Iwan Wmffre, “Learners, Native Speakers and the Authenticity of Language”. In Communicating Cultures, ed. Ullrich Kockel and Máiréad Nic Craith. Münster (2004): LIT Verlag, ISBN 9783825866433, p. 162.

This work includes the following text:

• … exclaim ‘They haven’t got a word for bananas!’ after he heard a conversation by Welsh native speakers. However, a term ffrwchnedd was ‘magicked’ sometime before the end of the 1980s to the satisfaction of purists, at least, and is now fairly well known, though it has not received the approval of Welsh dictionaries*
1 Like

Great thanks Siaron. Ha ha. I’m tempted to bring one along to tonight’s Slack meeting :rofl:

1 Like

I first saw ffrwchnedd used on the menu of a pancake stall in the Urdd eisteddfod about 5 years ago, great word. I only ever use it to explain how I personally want to know every Welsh word even if I don’t want to use them just in case someone else does … the same with “cawrfil”, another great word.

2 Likes

If it’s any consolation, there isn’t a long-standing English word for ‘banana’ either :slightly_smiling_face: - according to my dictionary it’s a Spanish or Portuguese word derived from the native word in Guinea

2 Likes

my man = fy nyn or fy dyn?
Fy nyn just sounds, and looks wrong.

Any advice?

Is it perhaps that ‘my man’ is an English idiom that’s just foreign to Welsh, i.e. you need to use partner, gŵr, gwas etc?

I’m doing some creative writing and I want my dog to refer to my husband as ‘my man’. If that helps.

Maybe you could use just 'nyn with the apostrophe standing for fy?

1 Like

Technically it would be “fy nyn”, but yes it does sound odd because I guess it’s not a widely used phrase. However, ‘gŵr’ does not only mean ‘husband’, it can mean ‘man’ and also ‘master’ - and of course the “fy ngŵr” mutation sounds much more familiar to our ears!

1 Like

Thanks @johnwilliams_6, thanks @siaronjames

2 Likes

I think you’ll find we have no need for a native word!

3 Likes

I’m not so sure about that, actually - in my experience the ydi spelling seems more common among the gogs of my acquaintance than among the poor hwntws.

3 Likes

I had to do a doubletake there. I read Uwd Eisteddfod first time :joy:

2 Likes

They do say breakfast is the most important meal of the day

1 Like

Looking for the word for to avoid. I was mentioning to someone that “I left early to avoid the traffic”. For avoid, I went for osgoi. Methu, Ffili (ffaelu) and arbed came to mind. But the last two didnt seem to fit.
Methu felt like I missed it as in I wish it had been there.
Any thoughts please?

Yup, osgoi was the right one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Brand-new to Welsh. Loving it quite a bit. I’m on Challenge 4, Level 1 and have a quick question: Why doesn’t liciwn use dwi’n before it?

Welcome Ben!

Licio is the verb ‘to like’, but in Welsh we have a “long-form” and a “short form” (don’t let this panic you, you’ll get used to it!), so there are two ways you can use ‘licio’, the long form uses a form of ‘bod’ (dwi is a form of bod) and the short form conjugates the verb stem (lici+ the relevant ending)
so “dwi’n licio” is long form for “I like”
while “liciwn i” is short form for “I would like”

4 Likes