SSi Forum

Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Yes, that’s it. Another useful one is “mae’n well i mi beidio” = “I’d better not” :slight_smile:

Normally this is sorted by context in conversation, as well as mutations. So for example, if you were talking about an individual “ei” would be heard as “ei”. If talking about a group “eu” would be heard as such.

I’m terms of the male/female, this is helped by context and mutation. So using your example:

This would be “ei arian (o)” or “ei harian (hi)”. If it were a word that can be mutated then this would happen: “ei frawd (o)” or “ei brawd hi”.

The context would help in that people would know to whom you’re referring. So I was talking to someone the other day in reference to a boy. I mis-mutated and said “ei mam” but the context removed any ambiguity.

Of course, if you are in a situation that could be misunderstood, using both removes all doubt.

For some reason my “Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru” app has stopped working, it opens but then comes up with an error message “dim cysylltiad allanol” and won’t let me search … even after I got home and tried again using wi-fi connection.

I looked for an update (there wasn’t one) so reinstalled to try to fix it … it didn’t work.

Is anyone else having trouble with their’s or know of a fix for mine please? Diolch o flaen llaw.

I’ve just checked on my PC and it’s down there too, so probably a gremlin with GPC.

Thanks Siaron, that’s good news then. Just wait for them to fix it.

This was their tweet that I missed (thanks @mintonman).

Oherwydd gwaith trydanol angenrheidiol yn y Llyfrgell Genedlaethol ni fydd GPC Ar Lein ar gael o 7:00 heno (nos Sadwrn) tan fore dydd Llun.
Ni fydd yr ap yn gweithio chwaith, oni bai i chi lawrlwytho’r data (gw. ‘cymorth’ yn yr ap.)
Ymddiheurwn am unrhyw anghyfleustra. https://t.co/yaUfLuB0MZ

Hi guys,
a couple sentences from a song i’m listening to, i couldn’t work out to translate, was hoping someone could give me a quick answer. I know with songs there’s artistic license and it’s pointless trying to directly translate, but i enjoy translating.

‘mi roedd hi yn wanwyn oll i gyd’ is translating to ‘she was the very essence of Spring’. I know that’s not the literal translation, but I was wondering what the ‘oll i gyd’ would translate best as?

Secondly,

This sentence in a song:
cuddio’r gwir mewn hanner gwên,
a’n yssu am ei choflaid glen

has been translated as ‘and longing for her tender embrace’
but it’s completely confusing me.

Any help would be lovely,

Diolch

This means “all of it” so in this sense, the very essence of spring is a really nice translation :slight_smile:

“yssu” is very similar to “can’t wait”. I’ve no idea what coflaid means, nor do my wife and mother-in-law, sorry :confused:

GPC has it as Cariad, embraced one or even foetus.

Ah, so here its embrace of a loved one.

I have a question regarding the use of dim o or mo

I’m fairly familiar with it in most cases, such as weles i mo’r gath ddoe for I didn’t see the cat yesterday.

But I’m having a bit of trouble with this construction after alla i and alli di etc. For example, on google search, i get:

alla i mo’i neud e and
alla i ddim ei gweld hi

Could this second one not be:
alla i mo’i gweld hi

Thanks

Coflaid is a huggee I think but also I think it’s an alternative to cofleidiad meaning a hug or embrace. Cofleidio is to hug or embrace.

Diolch cyfaill! I’ve only ever use cwtsh

So now when someone offers you a cofleidiad you can accept with open arms. :wink:

Ive always loved a cofleidiad and never realised!

I have a quick question about “wnes i ddim” …when I listen to the lesson, it sounds like Katrin is saying “wnes” with just an “S” sound at the end, but Aran sounds like he is using “SH” sound at the end. Am I just hearing this differently? Or are there more ways of pronouncing it in the North? Its been driving me nuts (funny how the little things get to you :slight_smile:) …but Ive been practicing it either way.
Diolch!

Yes, you’re hearing both sounds, and they are both correct - it’s just regional/personal preference really, you can use whichever one comes more naturally to you.

It’s not that they hate you, it’s that both of them are usually useless.

Me neither. Cats is cathod.

Not only could it be, but it should be - …ddim ei… is plain wrong.

Here is (I hope) a quick two-for-one: I had been using dod i arfer to mean to get used to, or into the habit of something - but the GPC says it means ‘to become customary or fashionable’. Am I OK with the way I’ve been using it, or have I got it a bit wrong?
And, part (b) - I wanted to say that I had got out of the habit of doing something, and couldn’t figure out how. Colli’r arfer or something like that?