Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

I’ve just checked on my PC and it’s down there too, so probably a gremlin with GPC.

Thanks Siaron, that’s good news then. Just wait for them to fix it.

1 Like

This was their tweet that I missed (thanks @mintonman).

Oherwydd gwaith trydanol angenrheidiol yn y Llyfrgell Genedlaethol ni fydd GPC Ar Lein ar gael o 7:00 heno (nos Sadwrn) tan fore dydd Llun.
Ni fydd yr ap yn gweithio chwaith, oni bai i chi lawrlwytho’r data (gw. ‘cymorth’ yn yr ap.)
Ymddiheurwn am unrhyw anghyfleustra. https://t.co/yaUfLuB0MZ

3 Likes

Hi guys,
a couple sentences from a song i’m listening to, i couldn’t work out to translate, was hoping someone could give me a quick answer. I know with songs there’s artistic license and it’s pointless trying to directly translate, but i enjoy translating.

‘mi roedd hi yn wanwyn oll i gyd’ is translating to ‘she was the very essence of Spring’. I know that’s not the literal translation, but I was wondering what the ‘oll i gyd’ would translate best as?

Secondly,

This sentence in a song:
cuddio’r gwir mewn hanner gwên,
a’n yssu am ei choflaid glen

has been translated as ‘and longing for her tender embrace’
but it’s completely confusing me.

Any help would be lovely,

Diolch

This means “all of it” so in this sense, the very essence of spring is a really nice translation :slight_smile:

“yssu” is very similar to “can’t wait”. I’ve no idea what coflaid means, nor do my wife and mother-in-law, sorry :confused:

1 Like

GPC has it as Cariad, embraced one or even foetus.

Ah, so here its embrace of a loved one.

I have a question regarding the use of dim o or mo

I’m fairly familiar with it in most cases, such as weles i mo’r gath ddoe for I didn’t see the cat yesterday.

But I’m having a bit of trouble with this construction after alla i and alli di etc. For example, on google search, i get:

alla i mo’i neud e and
alla i ddim ei gweld hi

Could this second one not be:
alla i mo’i gweld hi

Thanks

1 Like

Coflaid is a huggee I think but also I think it’s an alternative to cofleidiad meaning a hug or embrace. Cofleidio is to hug or embrace.

1 Like

Diolch cyfaill! I’ve only ever use cwtsh

So now when someone offers you a cofleidiad you can accept with open arms. :wink:

2 Likes

Ive always loved a cofleidiad and never realised!

1 Like

I have a quick question about “wnes i ddim” …when I listen to the lesson, it sounds like Katrin is saying “wnes” with just an “S” sound at the end, but Aran sounds like he is using “SH” sound at the end. Am I just hearing this differently? Or are there more ways of pronouncing it in the North? Its been driving me nuts (funny how the little things get to you :slight_smile:) …but Ive been practicing it either way.
Diolch!

Yes, you’re hearing both sounds, and they are both correct - it’s just regional/personal preference really, you can use whichever one comes more naturally to you.

It’s not that they hate you, it’s that both of them are usually useless.

Me neither. Cats is cathod.

1 Like

Not only could it be, but it should be - …ddim ei… is plain wrong.

1 Like

Here is (I hope) a quick two-for-one: I had been using dod i arfer to mean to get used to, or into the habit of something - but the GPC says it means ‘to become customary or fashionable’. Am I OK with the way I’ve been using it, or have I got it a bit wrong?
And, part (b) - I wanted to say that I had got out of the habit of doing something, and couldn’t figure out how. Colli’r arfer or something like that?

Part (a) - Geiriadur yr Academi has the following:
to be used to [doing] something arfer gwneud rhywbeth, bod yn gyfarwydd/ gynefin â gwneud rhywbeth
I am not used to it nid wyf yn gynefin/gyfarwydd ag ef, mae’n beth anghynefin/dieithr i mi, nid wyf wedi arfer ag ef
to get used (to something) arfer, cynefino, ymgynefino, ymgyfarwyddo, dygymod, dod yn gynefin/gyfarwydd (â rhywbeth)
you will get used to it in time fe ddewch i arfer ag ef gydag amser

Meanwhile, GPC also has dod mewn arfer : to become customary, grow into a custom which I take to mean “to get used to”.

Part (b) (and a bit of (a) too!) - Geiriadur yr Academi has this:
to get/grow into the habit (of doing something) magu arferiad (o wneud rhywbeth), magu’r arfer (o wneud rhywbeth), mynd i’r arfer (o wneud rhywbeth), mynd i arfer (gwneud rhywbeth)
to fall/get out of the habit colli arfer

So you’re not that far off really :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was wondering about a word I often stumble upon, on duolingo (bonus question, is duolingo a banned word on the forum? :stuck_out_tongue:) which is the word “bacwn”.
When talking to my partner, he’s confused as to why it’s taught. A part of me thinks maybe it’s a regional division? Him and his family uses “cig moch”. :bacon:

Yes, it’s a regional/personal preference thing - both are acceptable. In some areas cig moch will mean bacon, in other areas it will mean ham, but bacwn is always bacon! Mmmmm….bacwn! :yum:

1 Like