Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Diolch for the quick reply! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

How are you all saying the word Siwt, as in the pinstriped one? Ive been using the normal S so a bit like Sewt but with an i vowel. Karen Owen (excuse the casual name dropping) from Aranandcatrinland was pronouncing it shiwt. Any thoughts?

Whenever an s is followed by an i, either in the same word (siwt) or the next word (nes i), some people will soften the s to sh while others won’t - I think it’s a regional/dialect/personal preference thing.
I get it a lot - some people call me see-a-ron, others call me sha-ron :wink:

2 Likes

Hmm. I am pretty sure I was taught that “si…” in a word, especially at the beginning, is pronounced “sh” and the “i” doesn’t sound separately. It seems to be the case in many words I have heard pronounced. I understood that it didn’t apply to word combinations (like nes i) however. Case in point - the word “siop” which means “shop” and is pronounced pretty much like the English word.

It may not apply officially, but it happens. Only recently a learner was asking somewhere why Aran says “nes i” but Catrin says “nesh i” :slight_smile:

Yes, I’m just wondering if some (Englishy) words escape the rule in some regions to sound, well, more Englishy. The only other ones I can think of at the moment are Si-so (See-saw) and Si-bŵts (sea boots).

I think the answer is; whichever you say you say. Although there are rules like “si = sh”, there’s almost always an exception be it regional/local/multilocality/personal/accent ayyb.

Siwt sounds like suit to me because shwt sounds like a Westy saying “sut”.

Sorry if this is answered sonewhere else, but is wrtha i short for wrthaf fi or are they two different things? Diolch

1 Like

Yes, wrtha i is short for wrthaf fi - the 'f’s are usually dropped in speech.

Does anyone know what the Welsh spelling of the sheepdog command Come Bye is? A veg box scheme has started and this is the name of it but its spelt it Welsh and it doesn’t look right to me. (the owners are English!)

1 Like

Tech question here, please move it if necessary

I’m using BBC Wales 'Pigion" but have no control over whether Welsh or English is broadcast/shown. Sometimes a ‘translate’ button appears magically. What can I do? Help please

Nith (niece) vs nyth (nest) - wondering if these words sound exactly the same, or if the vowel sound in nith would be similar to that in Neath, whereas the vowel in nyth would be akin to the sound in English with. Thanks!

This is how I say it :blush:
Same with cyfnither (cousin) for nith
And nythu changes to a bit more of an English u sound.

2 Likes

Thanks, @AnthonyCusack. I would pronounce nythu the same way as you with the i shifting to a u.

1 Like

I would guess you could spell it a number of different ways - as it’s not welsh, much would depend on your own way of pronouncing it in English and then converting that to Welsh phonetics, so “cym bae”, “cym bai”, “cwm bae”, “cwm bai” could all be possibilities.

The command in Wels,h according to Ifan Jones Evans when I asked him this morning :wink: is “Cer draw”, although he did say in some areas you might hear other things.

1 Like

Blynedd vs. Blyneddoedd? Diolch!

In what context Jake? Which you use depends on what the rest of the sentence requires.
e.g.
Blynyddoedd is the plural of blwyddyn but for counting you would, except for the number 1, use blynedd* (but when referring to someone’s age, then it would be blwydd)
So -
years ago = blynyddoedd yn ôl
one year = un blwyddyn
three years = tair blynedd
three years old = tair blwydd oed

*blynedd/blwydd will mutate in different ways with certain numbers, so you’ll come across flynedd/flwydd and mlynedd/mlwydd too

5 Likes

Thanks! It was counting years lived somewhere in the introductory advanced recording: ddeuddeg blynedd.

Yes, counting always uses singular nouns (and it just happens that ‘year’ is an odd one with more than one singular form) although you can put an ‘of’ in there in which case you use a plural (but this, I think, is more commonly used when you want emphasis)
e.g.
deuddeng mlynedd = deuddeg o flynyddoedd (but generally, mlynedd sounds more natural)
can waith (a hundred times) = cant o weithiau (cant o sounds fine, especially if you’re using it as an exaggeration … “I tried a hundred times!”)
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Profanities if it’s my dog. Bloody disobedient thing!

1 Like