SSi Forum

Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Are there any books/resources that help with talking to kids? I mean kiddyfying words as we do in english: dog=doggy, ta=thank you etc. I guess hanging out with other parents who are first language and passing the language on is best…

I saw a video of the cariad@iaith series (that’s quite enjoyable by the way!), where they were practising introductions.

The teacher explained that when someone says “Braf cwrdd â chi” you don’t answer “a chi” but something I couldn’t hear clearly, supposedly meaning “and yourself”.

It sounded like “a chi ffe” to me and I can’t figure it out! Anyone knows what that is?

P.s. just realized that “a chi” means “to whom” in Italian, for.a surreal chat mixing languages! :laughing:

that would be “a chithau” (and you/yourself/yourselves) - it’s like an ‘super-pronoun’ and is used when you want particular contrast, balance or emphasis, and also applies to other pronouns:
a finnau (and me/myself) and sometimes you’ll also hear innau/minnau
a tithau (and you/yourself - singular/familiar) and sometimes you’ll also hear dithau
ac yntau/fintau (and him/himself)
a hithau (and her/herself)
a ninnau (and us/ourselves)
a nhwthau (and them/themselves)

A thithau?

technically yes, ‘and’ would cause an aspirate mutation, but it’s often left out.

I understand it’s one of those cases where English is confusing because it doesn’t make the distinction.

When I heard him translate it as “yourself” I thought of “eich hunan”.

Bu what’s the difference with chitau, then?
Is this always referring to something or someone?

“and yourself” is a bit of a loose translation - probably better to think of it as an emphasised “and you too” or an “and also you”

Hi Debora,

This is a choice that i’m going to suggest not a definite need to change. I’d opt for diwrnod priodas, just feels more natural to me.

Hope the wedding goes well :slight_smile:

for those wondering about dydd vs diwrnod…

dydd - technically the daylight part of the day
diwrnod - technically the whole 24hours of the day

(diwrnod does feel more natural when talking about a wedding day because you’re usually referring to the whole day. however, I stuck with dydd because of the context - “I hope you’ve had a fantastic wedding day” followed by “here’s to a brilliant evening” )

Hi there :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m Swiss and a huge fan of Scotland! I just love this country since many years and travelled 6 times through the lowlands, highlands, east coast, west coast, the isles…etc.

I think, my english is good enough to have conversations and for writing (appologies for any mistakes🙂).

But now, I’m searching for a specific translation into Scottish Gaelic.:slightly_smiling_face: Of course I don’t have any knowledge in Gaelic (yet…) and I hope you can do me a favour.

Actually, I’ve already made some research. An old friend of mine I haven´t seen since many years, she learned Scottish Gaelic. She even asked some other Gaelic-speaking friends.

But I just want to make sure, I’ve really got the right translation. Cause, depending which online-translator you’re using, it gives me different results - of course.

I’m searching for the translation of “guardian angel” or as we would say in german “Schutzengel”.

My friend gave me the translation “càr-aingeal”.

But I also found “Aingeal an Neach-dìon” which actually leads to some google results like jewelery or gealic websites.

Maybe both is correct, but with a difference in the understanding or meaning. In german we’ve got the one word for it, which is a little bit more “spiritual”.

But I also can live with a meaning like “protector”, “guardian”…

Would be happy if you could help me out.:slightly_smiling_face: Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Thomas

Hello Thomas.
You’ve posted this in a Welsh category, and although we do have Welsh learners here who also learn Scottish Gaelic, most of us don’t so you might get more replies if you start a new topic in the ‘Other Languages’ category here https://forum.saysomethingin.com/c/other-languages

Having said that, I’ll tag @desscholes here for you as he may be able to help :slight_smile:

Hi Siaron, ough… embarassing :grimacing: - very sorry for that and thank you very much for your reply!
I´ve posted in the other category too and I’m looking forward to any replys :slight_smile: :+1:

No need to be embarrassed - the forum is huge and it takes a while to find your way around - and I just wanted to maximise your chance of replies! Hope you get some responses soon :slight_smile:

I’m obsessed with the song “Llwytha’r Gwn” by Candelas at the minute :joy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ecBnIWXyZc&list=RDt
As well as it being a great song, for someone like me who is largely learning mutations in a relaxed way/the SSiW way/through osmosis :joy: the chorus is a real gift:

Wy’ ti’n dal i weld cysgodion yn y nos?
Wy’ ti’n dal i grio yn dy freuddwydion?
Wy’ ti’n dal i weld cysgodion yn y nos?
A’n dal i wrando ar fy hen ganeuon, fy hen ganeuon

But its not the mutations that have got my ears twitching at the moment, but the last line where ac + yn has turned to “a’n”… Is this poetic/musical licence, or do people say “a’n” instead of “ac yn”? :slight_smile:

I’d guess it’s poetic/musical licence here (maybe turning two syllables into one for a better scan or not wanting the c for “cynhaneddol” purposes) because I think a’n is more often an abbreviation of ac ein - but it’s always possible I hear a’n for ac yn more often than I think I do!

Thanks Siaron! We’ll keep our ears peeled! :rofl:

Delicious!

Quick question. I know Dros Ben translates as ‘over the top’ but is it used in any other context.
I hear it being used on TV but it doesn’t seem to fit in what is being talked about.
Diolch.

It’s also used to add emphasis when you want to express things like ‘extremely’, ‘very’. It’s also part of other idioms e.g. tin dros ben = head over heels

Here’s the list that the Trinity Saint David dictionary gives, to give you an idea of various usages:
https://geiriadur.uwtsd.ac.uk/index.php?page=ateb&term=dros+ben&direction=we&type=all&whichpart=part&search=#ateb_top

Thanks Siaron :blush: