Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Yup, that’s why, and yes, those examples are correct :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why does ‘o flaen’ change with person eg L3 Her 6 ‘o’n blaenau ni’? I have figured out that it is a compound preposition, and that the ‘we’ makes flaen/blaen plural but really do not understand why.

This is just the way compound prepositions work. Just think of “in front of me” as “in my front”, and you get o fy mlaen i (but usually you’ll hear this shortened to o’mlaen i)
Then you do the same as appropriate for other persons as well, using mutations as you normally would in possessive constructions:
o dy flaen di, o’i flaen e, o’i blaen hi, o’n blaenau ni, o’ch blaenau chi and o’u blaenau nhw

4 Likes

That really helps. Thank you so much. Now I will be able to sleep tonight.

4 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one. I have just completed the first challenge last week and started challenge 2 this week and although I don’t always need thinking time I find there isn’t quite enough of a gap to get my response out then i panic in between pressing the pause button and listening to the correct response.
I’m hoping it’s something I will get used to or it’s off to thr shop for more tissues and “kalms” lol.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, most of the challenges take approximately 30 minutes if you let them run. Most people, especially when they’re on their first run, will pause to get it. But it does help, if you don’t get it all at first, to try to do it without pausing after that first try. And don’t worry too much. It does get easier to do once you have a little practice, and the pauses don’t seem so necessary. Occasionally you’ll hit a ‘snag’ - one that seems more difficult for some reason - but don’t despair. You can do it!

2 Likes

One tip with the pause button is to have your finger hovering over it while you’re trying to get some Welsh out. If the female voice starts before you’ve finished, hit pause then to give yourself time to get out what you were trying to say. That way you make sure you say ‘something’ in the gap before you listen to the responses.

1 Like

Quick question…multiple choice!! :joy:
…mynd am dro yn y Fannau Brycheiniog… or …yn y Bannau Brycheiniog…?
And how about…
caws a picle… or caws a phicle… ?
Diolch yn fawr!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

yn y Bannau Brycheiniog is correct - only feminine singular nouns mutate after the definite article.
caws a phicl (no ‘e’ on the end of picl) is correct - the a (and) causes an aspirate mutation, though aspirates after ‘and’ are often omitted in speech these days.

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr Siaron! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi all. How do you say “Tuesday 1st March”? This is on a poster so formal language is preferred to colloquial. The repetition of Mawrth as in “Dydd Mawrth, Mawrth 1af” feels a bit clunky. And St David’s Day… Dydd Gŵyl Dewi or Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Sant? Or maybe something else? Thank you and diolch.

How about “Dydd Mawrth, 1af o Fawrth” if you don’t want the two 'Mawrth’s together.
St David’s Day is Dydd Gŵyl Dewi - you don’t need the Sant on the end.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi, not sure this is the right place for this post! I am confused, I am doing the northern course but in level 1 lesson 11 there is introduced ‘byddai fo’ for ‘he would,’ which is seen in print and spoken in south Wales. Around here people say ‘sai fo’ a short form of mi fasai fo? Quite difficult but I am going to try 0ploughing on with sai fo….

It’s an extremely light rule of thumb that the conditional set with byddai is used in the South and the conditional set with basai is used in the North - it’s by no means set in stone, as you’ll hear both wherever you are depending on which the speaker prefers to use. (and to clarify, mi fasai fo is just another form of bysai, just as fe fyddai fe is another form of byddai)

It’s fine to choose one and stick to it, but useful to be aware of the others so they don’t throw you when you hear or read them elsewhere. The best way to choose is to listen to what people around you use and use that, which is what you’re doing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could I have “Dydd Mawrth, Mawrth 1af”, is that permissible? I’ve been told (not here) that that’s saying Tuesday Tuesday 1st!

To make the distinction between ‘Tuesday’ and ‘March’, you need an ‘y’ in there - Dydd Mawrth, Mawrth y 1af

3 Likes

aha diolch yn fawr iawn thank you

1 Like

Hello.

Should it be a iechyd or ac iechyd? My instinct say the former, because I hear the i as a consonant, but I’ve seen examples of the latter. Diolch!

It should be ac but some dialects, particularly southern ones do say a. Using a might get you a red mark in a written exam, but in everyday colloquial use it’s not something to worry about.

1 Like

Thanks very much @siaronjames. Out of interest, is that because iechyd should actually be pronounced with an initial vowel (e.g. ee-ech-id - not, as I have been saying, yech-id)?