Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

It’s not a North/South-thing, as gallu itself is a word predominantly used in Southern Welsh (the Northern version is medru) – what you listed are different conjugations used in different situations.

gallwch chi is you can, while gallech chi is you could (and the you here is either plural, or formal singular)

galli is not a form I recognise, maybe you just mean the unconjugated verboun gallu here?

gelli di is you can again, but this time in the informal singular. If you wanted to say you could, like above, but in singular informal, it would be gallet ti

1 Like

Thank you for the response! Yes I’ve just realised I made a mistake and meant to type ‘gallwch/gellwch’ oops!

Yes I meant the inflected future of both the second person forms of ‘gallu’. I was asking this as I’m working my way through Gareth King’s ‘Intermediate Welsh’ and I’ve been writing down ‘galli di’ and noticed he seems to use the ‘gelli di’ version more.

1 Like

Thank you, Deborah. Fedrwn i ddim makes sense to me and sounds familiar.

1 Like

Hello, a question about mutations. I’ve got used to feminine forms or nouns causing a mutation, e.g. yr gath, ei charu hi, ei phenblwydd hi. So I’m a bit confused by:
e fod e
ei bod hi
Can anyone explain please?

1 Like

Broadly, it’s not quite as simple as ‘feminine forms cause mutations’ - you’ve got some splitting up to do here!

A feminine single noun mutates after ‘the’ - so ‘cath’ becomes ‘y gath’

Then a feminine owned thing - be it verb or noun - takes an aspirate mutation - ei charu hi, ei phenblwydd hi, as you said…

A masculine owned thing takes a soft mutation… ei gar e, ei benblwydd e…

And we get to bod… there is a soft mutation for b → f, but there is no aspirate mutation for b - so ei fod e, but ei bod hi… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see! (I think.) Thank you for explaining Aran, a bit more complicated than I’d thought, as you said, but it makes sense.

1 Like

Yeah, I recommend not thinking too much about mutations (even if you do, they only go and change on you, like ch->j which doesn’t officially exist :wink: ).

1 Like

Not to mention the not officially named but it does occasionally occur “hard mutation” D → T. For example rhad → rhatach.

1 Like

This gets more into technicalities of grammar than SSIW usually does, but it’s bothering me and I’d like to understand it.

I kept hearing my partner telling her dog to “dos” and “tyd” and I wasn’t sure how those related to “mynd” and “dod”. Eventually I realised they were different because they were commands.

My question is whether you’d use those forms for a request as well - e.g. if I email someone at work in Welsh and ask them (not order them) to go to X place, would I say “dos” as though it’s a command, or something else?

Yes, you would use those forms for a request too (e.g. think of greeting someone at your door “hello, come in” - that would be done using the imperative/command form). The only thing to consider is whether to use the informal or formal versions (and in your work example, that would depend on how well you know your colleagues or their status in the workplace perhaps).
For reference, here are the full set:
mynd - to go
singular/informal
dos! (N)
cer! (S)
plural/formal
ewch!

dod - to come
singular/informal
tyrd! (N)
dere! (S)
plural/formal
dewch!

5 Likes

Diolch Siaron, that’s exactly what I was looking for :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The vocab list is what I was referring to @sara-28 :smile:

1 Like

It’s because the definite article (y/yr/'r) always causes a soft mutation on the number two (dau/dwy) - it’s just a quirk with that number.

1 Like

Many thanks @siaronjames :slight_smile: :smile:

1 Like

Just going through challenge 18 level 1, and “You’ve already done very well” came up. I said “Ti 'di gwneud yn barod yn dda iawn” but it should have been "… gwneud yn dda iawn yn barod’

I was just wondering if what I said was wrong or if it would be acceptable to have them around in that order?

Thanks!

What you said would have been understood, but it sounds very awkward that way around. As you hear more examples, you’ll start to get a feeling of the correct word order - but it’s good that you got all the right words :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah thank you for the response! Guess it’s just one of those things that comes with experience :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is a logic to the word order, which might help for an analytical person like me.

The ‘dda iawn’ is describing the ‘gwneud’ - you’ve done well, so ‘gwneud yn dda iawn’. You’ve finished your ‘doing well’ already - ‘gwneud yn dda iawn yn barod’. If you see what I mean :laughing:

I feel like it could be expressed with those mathematical brackets I haven’t used since my A-Levels. (gwneud + yn dda iawn) yn barod :laughing:

5 Likes

I know that North and South Welsh has different colloquial forms for We are (Dan i / dyn i) and You are (Dach chi / dych chi). But I’ve only seen one form for the standard/formal register: ‘rydyn ni’ and ‘rydych chi’.

Is there a northern form equivalent, or is this particular difference only in the spoken language?

Thanks!

It’s just in the spoken forms - and it happens a fair bit to lots of words e.g. pethe (spoken S) and petha (spoken N) both come from pethau (standard)

1 Like