Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Absolutely, and the post I made directly before the one you quote there addressed that point, as it were. Whether it is right is another matter of course! The one you quote was in response to what henddraig said.

Plenty of people round here begin sentences with “fi” in a non stressed way, but I don’t think it’s something that anyone would advise people to do on a permanent basis, as it were :blush:

2 Likes

Ah right, sorry. Read it a bit too quickly.

Must have missed my vocation as a politician … swerving around the real question, and answering the wrong one. :slight_smile: Probably why I like “Byw Celwydd” so much. :wink:

3 Likes

:laughing:

After a couple of days turning this over in my mind, how hard and fast is that consonant rule? For example, if you can say to someone “Cadwa mewn cysylltiad!”, could you also just say “Cadw mewn cysylltiad!” and be idiomatically correct?

Thank you!!

1 Like

netmouse, I don’t think I have ever actually heard cadwa - always (where I was at least) cadw, for example Cadw’n dawel! Keep quiet!, Cadw draw! Keep away! Cadw hwn yn ddiogel, nei di? Keep this safe, will you? And your own example there Cadw mewn cysylltiad - that is what I would expect to hear.

I think the consonant rule here is a pretty safe one…I’m just trying to think of any counterexamples, but none come immediately to mind.

3 Likes

Ok, diolch yn fawr iawn! That’s what I’d have thought instinctively - it’s just that someone did say that to me the other week, which is partly what got me thinking! Isn’t Welsh messy!? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To “a” or not to “a”… It certainly is messy! But “Cadw” as second person imperative is the literary norm too (I believe, though Gareth would know better than me!) so that’s thankfully one less thing to worry about!

2 Likes

Wonderfully messy - thank goodness there are one or two good grammars around so you can really enjoy the mess! :wink:

4 Likes

I notice this phrase in a fairly colloquial style piece on the Amgueddfa Cymru website, though:
cer â nhw a cadwa nhw cyhyd â’r lleill
take them and keep them as long as the others

So cadwa is not unheard of, is it?

2 Likes

Confession coming up… I actually bought your first workbook about a year ago, read the first chapter and promptly lost it! (At first I took it as a sign not to spoil the experiment, but just recently I’ve been starting to feel an overdue book sort coming on.)

1 Like

You lost it - that’s ambiguous, netmouse. :confused:
Do you mean
a) you mislaid the book
or b) you lost control of your composure and went berserk?

I think you’ll agree that either is plausible in the circumstances.

5 Likes

Apparently not! My friend comes from Ceredigion and also says stuff like rhoia and troia (I was trying to clarify - later tried them out on my 9 year old who promptly corrected me!)

2 Likes

My first copy of your “Colloquial Welsh” was stolen by someone in a pub. A demonstration of its quality. Still #&@ annoying though.

3 Likes

Very annoying and definitely not on. Nid criced mo hynny. :confused:

3 Likes

I was like that as a kid…mmm maybe still am! Pedantic!!

1 Like

Speaking of welsh books…I checked out teach yourself Welsh- part of the ‘Teach Yourself’ range, by Julie Brake from Cardiff University library. Forgot to renew it in May - £36.16 fine $%^&!. I don’t even know why- I never touched it!. I have loads of Welsh books from the charity shops anyway. Lesson learnt (or will be, when I pay the damn fine).

1 Like

Was it May last year?!

Commiserations! I have done that sort of thing more times than I care to remember…don’t think I ever (so far… ) managed to top your £36 though! :slight_smile:

No May this year. I think the penalty is 50 p or £1 a day, and another £10 fine for something I don’t know about.