Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

That’s excessive - more than the cost of the book I should think!

Definitely, but fines are intended as a sharp lesson never to keep a book too long again!! Especially now, when Libraries are threatened with closure!

Fines in libraries have been rising lately, and if that is the reason, it may well be counterproductive. Certainly to me, with my ragged memory, they have been a sharp lesson to not use libraries any more!

1 Like

What?! Did we lose you? I thought once Aberystwyth had her claws in someone, they were hooked for good… :scream:

I understand Aberystwyth has changed considerably since I last set foot there.

Huge growth in student numbers (depending on when you last kicked the bar) - which was already starting to change the feel of the place when I left…

So what can we offer to tempt you back to a Welsh-speaking community? Bara brith? Prosecco? Penderyn?!

And when was that?

I rode out of town in '91, when the first few extra buildings had gone up at the top of the Penglais campus - but my mother and step-father (who lectured in the English department) were in Tre’r Ddôl until 2001 - and then my mother moved to Borth - it was only when she went to Stoke-on-Trent in 2012 that I felt I’d really left Aberystwyth…:wink:

I remember Tre’r Ddôl very well, and other little places round about to the north there, like Llandre and Talybont.

I left in 1995, and have not been back since.

You must have overlapped with my step-father, Duncan Isles (although I don’t remember the English department necessarily having all that much to do with ‘language folk’!..;-)).

You’d be hugely welcome at any of our SSiW birthday parties (we’ll be organising another one as soon as Catrin and I manage to finish moving home, insha’allah)… :sunny:

I remember the name, so I expect my wife may have been taught by him - she did English there.

How lovely. I have a vast and not particularly logical bias towards anyone who remembers him… :sunny: When did your wife graduate (if that’s not getting too nosily Welsh!)?

She did first year English and Welsh joint, then switched to Welsh only for Part II. She graduated in 1983, so her English stint was 1980-81. Would that fit?

Yes, Duncan was there then - I think from the early 70s - I didn’t pitch up until '86 - so not too far off. Difyr. I enjoy this variant of hel achau! :sunny:

Great fun! She also had a drama teacher called Ioan somebody, I think it was - ydy’r enw 'na’n canu clychau efo chdi o gwbwl?

1 Like

Hmmm… Ioan Williams, efallai? Roedd o’n bennaeth adran yn yr 80au hwyr…

https://www.learnedsociety.wales/fellow/ioan-williams/

'Na fo!

1 Like

Actually, that’s what I was thinking. Here, most libraries have stopped assessing fines and just hound you with emails and/or letters if you haven’t returned their book.

@aran and @garethrking - you guys sure know how to go off on a tangent! An interesting one to be sure, but a tangent nonetheless. :smile:

4 Likes

I’m not sure it’s technically possible to go off on a tangent in the ‘tiny questions with quick answers’ thread…:wink:

2 Likes

It’s what we do. :grinning:

2 Likes