Trouble accessing advanced content

Hi Des,

Yes I think the advanced content doesn’t display in the Android app yet - it needs a tweak which is still on the ‘to do’ list.

But there are a couple of ways of getting round it…

1. you can go to the SSIW website on your phone using a browser. If you log on using your SSIW user and password and go to the Advanced content tab you can actually play it from there - plus there is a link to download the file as an mp3 (shown in the image in the post above). This is quite easy to do - I could help you through that if required.

2. An alternative if you use Google Drive and have it on your phone is to use eg your PC or Mac to save the file to your Google drive using a browser . Easy if you are a Google drive user - if not option one is provably more straightforward.

Rich :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Morning Rich
I have managed to get Advanced mp3 files onto my phone and this may be a way for others who like myself can use a pc but have no great technical knowledge
Connect phone to pc
Using Browser on pc open SSIW and log in
Click on Learn (in banner) and click on Advanced Content
If doing this for first time then scroll down to the bottom
Right click on “click here to download this recording as a mp3”
Click on Save link as and save wherever you want (I put on Desktop)
Close SSIW - Open File Explorer and drag and drop the mp3 file to the phone

Hope this may be of help
Regards
Des

2 Likes

Yep that sounds a good approach too - well done - good thinking :+1:

1 Like

Hi, any update on accessing Advanced via the app yet please? It seems to have been a few months since this was mentioned last.
Many thanks.

1 Like

@jamesmahoney @Kinetic where are we on this? Is it a ‘make puppy-dog eyes at a generous volunteer’ time, or ‘set aside some dev time’, er, time…? :slight_smile:

Hi Judith,

I have just been looking back at previous posts to see where we were last time there was this kind of conversation …which went as in italics below:

( I use iPhone and know definitely that it works in iPhone on the beta version - are you on iPhone or Android? I think it is working on the standard Android version. )

There is a beta version of the iPhone version here

I don’t use the Android version but I think that has been updated … others would have to confirm.

Alternatives are going to the SSIW website on your phone/ tablet or saving the audio onto google drive or iCloud (this method also allows you to pick up the Transcript and translation on your phone/tablet).

2 Likes

I never listened to Advanced content on the phone so far (always on computer or iPod), but I have the app installed.
I see an Advanced content section, but there’s nothing in it (or if there is anything I can’t see it!)

2 Likes

A bit of both, I think - it’d probably need to be the former first, and then I imagine I’d likely need to implement some stuff API-wise once we know what @jamesmahoney needs from me on that front?

1 Like

The issue is that the Android app thinks in terms of lessons that have files, like this:

• course
    • lesson
      • mp3
    • lesson
      • mp3
    • lesson
      • mp3

But the advanced content is simply a bunch of files linked to the course, like this

• course
    • mp3
    • mp3
    • mp3

The growth club content (which used a similar quick and basic web page approach to display all the content) worked because that happened to be arranged into lessons.

I can add something into the App to convert the data back into the structure it needs. This is how it looks
There’s nothing I can do about getting the interviewee’s names in there because the data doesn’t support it in a way that’s not massively painful to extract.

3 Likes

Are there any likely timescales for when you’ll revisit how the advanced content is handled? This will likely affect (i.e. break) this slight hack I’ve had to introduce.

2 Likes

Hi Rich,

Sorry for the delay … had a few days away down in S Wales (Kidwelly and then Oxwich Bay) … really disappointed that I didn’t get to practice my Welsh … it doesn’t seem to be exactly popular down there :frowning:

… I digress … I’m using Android on my phone. Up to now I’ve had to go to the website to access the advanced content.

Many thanks,
Jude

Hi Judith,

I was just looking at what James posted above for Android phones. There is a screenshot of the advanced content in the Android App - but I’m not sure if it is released or still under development.

Is this available @jamesmahoney or is it something which is still being worked on?

Hi Rich,
No, its not available - I’ve uninstalled and then reinstalled the app again today just in case it had been released recently.
Thanks,
Jude

You should have come to Llanelli Judith, there’s quite a few of us here.
Next time. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Mmmm… it’s not on the ‘to do’ list at the moment, unless it’s part of a re-jig that Ifan is doing for content delivery in general - @kinetic? :slight_smile:

It’s being rigorously tested by me, slaving away at it I am.
If you direct message me with the email address you use to sign into your phone I can set you up with access to the test version.

2 Likes

Hi James,

It was @JudithHughes who was asking about the Android App. Judith would you be interested in testing the new Android version? @gisella-albertini might help testing it too as I think she has an Android phone - Gisella?

1 Like

Right, I have an Android phone. I don’t mind testing the app (after iOS one on old iPod!). Sending message to @jamesmahoney, then.

2 Likes

Oops - nope, my current giant re-jig doesn’t affect how the advanced content is organised from the app’s perspective, so that shouldn’t change anything. I don’t anticipate changing how that works, at least until such time as me, @jamesmahoney and @lewie come to a mutual agreement on how it should be done.

1 Like

I need the help of someone technical! I use SSIW on my iPhone and while the challenges download and stay downloaded on my phone the advance content part of the course is on the phone but the sgwrs won’t download unless its on wifi (yes mobile data is enabled for the app). Also if I download it on wifi it will be fine until I exit the app then it disappears.