Volunteer '5 Minute' Listeners

Please can someone tell me if this hangout is supposed to still work at all now that every single one person is on Slack. I am mostly comming on at Wednesdays (not every Wednesday though), as it was once said to be, to see if someone needs someone to listen and until today no one was there but today (02.05.2018 8-8:30 pm UK time) just about 15 minutes ago, there was one member on, but the things didn’t work or I couldn’t do them to work. The result was no hangout at all and afterwards the message that @aran has left the hangout what means I obviously called every single member who didn’t leave the hangout yet already.

So, I obviously don’t quite know how these permanent hangouts work at all. Do I have to actually go to particular person’s G+ profile and call them from there?

I wanted to help as I know and presume not everyone is happy with group hangout with “famous” persons like @Novem or @Nicky who’s hangouts, I imagine, are always crowded, but obviously I’m a bit clumsy in atempting to help though.

If this is actually not supposed to run anymore then let me know and I won’t come on anymore and disturbe those who ar not about to be disturbed. .

Thx.

1 Like

My bank balance says different :smiley:

Ours are not as crowded as I think people think. Tonight I had about 7 at the highest, but it tailed down to about 5 at one point. Likewise I know Milla has a few busy nights and some where it tails off a bit.

I don’t know the history of this hangout, but there are lots of people over on welshspeakingpractice who are starting quick 1:1s etc, rather than joining the bigger chat groups etc if that is of any interest :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, I didn’t want to offend you but just tried to say that your hangouts possibly are too busy (for some even 5 people is too much) to join in.

Also, the history of this hangout began quite short time ago - just two or three weeks before the things were moved to Slack.

Also I asked if this is still about to run because I know there are all people on Slack now not just with you and @Novem but for 1-1 chats aswell but I still go there from time to time just in case and today was that case which I obviously couldn’t handle properly not being able to call that person neither receive call from them.

So, no offence, @Nicky. I obviously wasn neither clear enough nor polite enough not to make you feel (at least it seams to me so) offended.

Well, maybe I shoudl stick to my own matters and not dig into those which aren’t actually my concern.

Thx for responding anyway.

Tatjana

1 Like

No, no, no - no offence at all! I was just laughing at the famous bit, because last week I had one other person turn up to my beginners session and we couldn’t get anyone else to join for love nor money :D:D:D

There are a fair few people on there who do, to be fair to them, go on at the start of every day and say “I’ll be around for a few hours today”, or “I’m going to be around at lunch time if anyone fancies a chat”. People like Bronwen I know has chatted with possibly hundreds of people this way without joining a “big hangout”.

Would love to see you over there more, if you ever fancy a 1:1 on there - give me a shout :smiley:

3 Likes

I believe this hangout was simply @louis testing the usability of google hangouts for these kinds of group chats.

I don’t think the idea of having regular “volunteer 5 minute listeners” who only listen to someone’s 5 minutes of Welsh has been taken any further - @aran can confirm this though - perhaps I’ve missed it.

1 Like

We certainly haven’t managed to get that up and running yet, although it’s very much something I’d like to revisit at some point… :slight_smile:

Thank you for your replies. So, won’t go there anymore but if I’d have a feeling to chat I’ll go to Slack instead.

3 Likes

Hello! I need a listener, please! Finding a regular time for this is a problem, but I’m usually free on Tuesday evenings and 9 p.m. might be a good time. Is anyone available then? Many thanks in anticipation …

2 Likes

Not quite sure technically how this works, but I’m doing the 6-month SSiW course and I need a listener.
I would be happy to be a listener as well, although how much I would understand is rather unknown. Possibly not too much, but if that’s not an obstacle then I’m willing. My time zone is GMT + 2 hours.

1 Like

Might be best to swap around in the 6 month Slack - we don’t seem to have got this up and running quite as widely as we’d hoped! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am just coming towards the end of Level 1 (Lesson 21). I don’t know a Welsh speaker, and I would like to be able to practice with somebody. Is there anybody out there who could lend an ear, preferably a sympathetic and understanding one!

2 Likes

@chrissie-shillcock, if shortish sessions would be useful, I’m happy to practise with you! Send me a private message to agree a good time to start…

1 Like

Hi Bronwen. Thank you for such a fantastically quick response. I am about to go out to the theatre, but I will be in touch tomorrow! Best wishes Chrissie

1 Like

I’d like to help with listening or speaking practise, but I’m only in the evening available. Anyone who wants/needs a partner, just send me a private message.

1 Like

Hi @chrissie-shillcock, I’m very happy to listen / practise some Cymraeg with you. I am not that far advanced from you in lessons, but have probably taken a lot longer to get there. I can promise to be a very sympathetic listener! Send me a private message if you wish with some suitable times…

1 Like

I’ll be hanging around Slack for a while this afternoon from now onwards - happy to be an ear for anyone for a bit! :slight_smile:

1 Like

So this topic has got a great use of it and the only change to it is to switch from earlier mentioned hangout to Slack or just post here and then arrange the sgwrs through the PMs or here (as one wishes).

I like this unexpected change.

I’m not that sure of my knowledge so I probably won’t offer any listening to anyone (I’m not sure why I wanted to do that earlier in the first place) but maybe I’ll be the one needing some listeing/speaking once in a while. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Bronwen, is this the correct way to answer? I do want to take you up on your offer.

Great - I’ll send you a private message now to arrange a good time to start!

1 Like

I am about to go away for a week for a family wedding, but I will be back on the 20th June. Would some time over the weekend be OK? Presumably you need a phone number? How does this work. I am not sure what is private and what isn’t. Sorry to be a bit thick!!