Welsh Music Videos and Audio Files

There is a plygain organised by Merched y Wawr in Christ Church, Carmarthen, at 7.30 am on the 14th of December.

http://www.christchurchcarmarthen.org.uk/parishnews/?page_id=17

No idea what it will be like!

I also know of one in Burry Port I keep meaning to go to and failing, but that is in mid-January.

I suppose that would that be 7.30 pm?

Nope, 7.30 yb, “y bore” (the morning, AM.)

The whole point of plygain was that it took place at cock’s crow, “pulli canto”[Latin] > “plygain”.

You’re lucky it’s not taking place at five o clock or before in the morning :wink:

Far more traditional than the ones which take place in the day or evening.

I think it probaby is in the evening. I read through the (incredibly long) parish magazine you linked to and found references to yb, yh (a mistake?), pm and Nos Sul. I think I’ll give Canon Patrick, a one time Welsh Learner and now rhugl iawn, a ring o check, but perhaps not at this time of night!

Oh, it may well be a mistake. I don’t know. If so, a bit shameful for a church in Carmarthen.

Anyhow, hope the information helped you a bit. If not, you obviously know individuals in the church in Carmarthen better than I do! And it might be best to ask them. They would know better than most people on this forum.

Great idea - I couldn’t find it on Spotify though. Any ideas or suggestions about how and where to find it? Diolch!

Try S4C someone connected with ‘Dechrau Canu, Dechrau Canmol’ may know. Is it an established ‘Church’ rather then ‘Chapel’ custom? I did suggest it to the company we spend Xmas with last year but was told in no uncertain terms that the doors would remain firmly closed to anyone singing outside at 4am in the morning.

Did you find out if it is 7.30 in the morning Margaret?

Don’t know Dee. I’ve just sent an email to Canon Patrick Thomas. When I know I’ll ket you know.

I was listening to BBC Radio Cymru the other day, and I swear I heard a Welsh language version of Achy Breaky Heart. Is that song a joke over there as well?

1 Like

This one has a little of the Achy Breaky feel fron 1979…was this the one?

3 Likes

I can totally see how that’s similar, but this one was definitely to the tune of Achy Breaky heart!

Plygain service at Christchurch in Carmarthen at 7.30 this coming Sunday, 14th December. Merched yr Waur are arranging it.

The Celtic Connections music festival is on at Glasgow in January. I asked the artistic director for a list of Welsh performers and here it is. I think he might be stretching the point a bit about the Welshness, I know Shake Shake Go, and they are lovely, they have some Welsh members but they sing in English. Anyone recognise the other performers in the list and can recommend which ones to go and see?

Friday 16th January
Old Fruitmarket
Horizons (Al Lewis)

Saturday 17th January
The National Piping Centre
Julie Murphy and Diane Cannon

Wednesday 21st January
Main Auditorium
Carlos Nunez – Atlantic Corridor (Angharad Jenkins)

Tuesday 20th January
The Glasgow Art Club
The Pictish Trail & Sweet Baboo

Tuesday 20th January
St Andrew’s in the Square
Hanneke Cassel and ALAW

Saturday 24th January
Oran Mor
Jamie Smith’s Mabon and Moxie

Saturday 24th January
O2 ABC Glasgiw
JD McPherson and Shake Shake Go

Sunday 1st February
Mitchell Theatre
Catrin Finch & Seckou Keita and Cruinn

Candelas play a gig to launch their new CD Live in Bala and on Radio Cymru 17 Rhagfyr am7…mwy yn www.gilydd.com diolch

Just noticed contribution from PollyPolly-------Catrin Finch & Sekou Keita, haven’t seen them live but the CD ‘Clychau Dibon’ is one beautiful tender work. Mwynhau.

1 Like
2 Likes

:laughing:

:laughing:

4 Likes