Welsh National Eisteddfod Llanrwst, Conwy 2019 - SSiW meet-up poll

Are you there this weekend at all Aran? I’m only there Sat and Sun and would love to say hello.

1 Like

So Tuesday afternoon seems the most popular choice so far. Shall we say 2pm by the ‘Llwyfan y Maes’ and ‘Pentref Bwyd’? Where the red star is on the map.

If anything changes we’ll let you know here.

But if you can’t male or on Tuesday I’m certain they’re will be plenty of other opportunities to meet during the week. :blush:

5 Likes

Yesss!!! You’ve made my day. :grin:

2 Likes

See you there! :grin:

2 Likes

Great! @BronwenLewis and @helenlindsay - no clashes in the timetable, I hope?

Unfortunately I’m stewarding that day from 12 to 6

1 Like

We’re there all week Amanda, so we can arrange something else! XxxX

Anyone fancy joining me for yoga in Ty Gwerin at 9.30am some mornings? Don’t know if I’ll do all the mornings yet, but would certainly like to do a many as I can.

1 Like

I can make Tuesday at 2. Volunteering from 3. Edrych ymlaen at eich gweld chi i gyd.

ok folks. Tuesday at 2pm is a date :slight_smile:

I will be around quite a bit at other times too, I think …

Just a warning to all. Watch your speed in and out of Llanrwst (and probably Betws too) I have a ticket today from Sunday!

Please help. I so wanted to go (I mean when thinking about it months ago). Then I read the Eisteddfod website and it is so complicated… And I let it go. But now I feel fear of missing out. It’s the same struggle as always:
I want to go to some SSiW event, I am happy about it, then I got scared, I don’t go and I feel like ***.
Meeting new people AND speaking Welsh is too much, one of these would be fine… although I really want to do both.
My problems with Eisteddfod are these:

• I would go with my husband who speaks no Welsh.
  • I have no idea what I want to see. I don’t know any of the artists/bands or any other stuff. I don’t speak enough Welsh to enjoy literature or similar stuff and as I said my husband speaks no Welsh. We like rock (but I have no idea which bands we would like) and we are quite sciency (but the science program seems to be more for kids or students than adults). I am absolutely clueless.
  • We live locally (enough to go there for a day trip) but we are not Welsh. I have no idea what to expect.
    It’s just so intimidating.
    Any advice?
    Thinking about it, given that I have no idea what to do, Tuesday doesn’t seem that bad. Maybe it solves my hesitating. I would love to meet you guys (although by now you can guess that it is no promise).
1 Like

Hi Ani … We usually just go for a day and always enjoy it. I’ve never been in the pafiliwn so only get to look around the stalls, eat and see the ‘free’ bands on the stage. Your non Welsh speaking husband won’t be too lost and everyone (even if they sometimes don’t want to) speaks english.

Get there early and try to find out what time all the free, ‘pop-up’ stuff is happening on the Maes. A lot of the stalls will have things like signing sessions, musicians doing a slot, etc. You won’t see much rock music unfortunately.

See you Tuesday, your husband can talk to my wife while we chat in Welsh (she’ll be the one with the bearded guy).

4 Likes

Hi @ani,

I do agree, the website has taken me a long time to work out too. It’s very complicated.

I also know how you feel about “meeting new people or speaking Welsh, not the two together”, I’ve felt that many times! The SSiW meet up will be very friendly, I’m lucky enough to know a few of the people going and you’ll be more than welcomed, your husband too, he won’t be excluded.

If you’d like a smaller gathering, there’s a small group of us meeting in Betws-y-coed on Sunday at 10 if youd like to join that to have some familiar faces before Tuesday?

Nor am I, this definitely isn’t a problem. That fact that you’ve learnt any Welsh at all will win everybody over :slight_smile:

Hopefully see you on Tuesday if not before :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have a look at the app. It lists what’s on everywhere on the maes in chronological order. But the last time I went I just wandered around all day and met up with some learners in the learners tent . This is the first year I’ll be doing things!

I think we’ll be coming in at some point today and/or tomorrow, yes - bit foggy at the moment, trying to survive a daughter who decided not to go to sleep until 11 and then to wake everyone up at 6 - every so slightly over-excited - so I might be dead before noon, frankly. But we’ll ping in here as and when we have any actual idea.

Um, @CatrinLliarJones, dear co-captain of my life, I’m going to have to be a little late for that 2pm meet on Tuesday - there is a YesCymru event at 1.30 in Cymdeithasau 2 at which a Previous First Minister is going to be speaking - which is kind of a watershed moment!

2 Likes

Cymanfa Ganu is indeed communal hymn singing. I’m in the Cor y Gymanfa. We’ll also be performing 2 choruses from Mendelssohn’s Hymn of Praise. Looking forward to this as it’ll be my first time on the Pafiliwn stage.

I’ll be there (weather & gods permitting). Diolch am trefni / thanks for organising. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Unfortunately we are only able to make the evenings (Sat/today and Sun, and maybe another one).
We live in Llanrwst and run a little shop and will be working throughout (or so we hope).
If any of you wanders into town come and say hello! (Health & Food opposite the chippy).

3 Likes

A fi @amandalaing , I’ll be working in pabell Cymdeithas yr Iaith, Tuesday afternoon, Wednesday nearly all day and Thursday morning 219-220 if any body wants to come and say hello

2 Likes