Welsh National Eisteddfod Llanrwst, Conwy 2019 - SSiW meet-up poll

Very much hope toi @ladyk, looking forward to meeting ypu

Managed to get a ticket for Y Tylwyth tonight. Very excited :slight_smile:

So far Iā€™ve spoken a little bit of welsh but too shy to say much (I donā€™t go up and talk to people in English, let alone Welsh), and bought some books. Going into the pavilion this afternoon.

Was so early this morning that I was the first one in the car park, had a bus all to myself, and was the first member of the public to actually arrive at the maes!

4 Likes

See you there!

1 Like

Southern Car park conditions please (A470 North of Waterloo Bridge and South of Maes)

Tonight is my last chance to cancel my price-hiked hotel in Betws and Iā€™d appreciate first-hand advice about the conditions on the Southern Car Park, particularly how it will cope with the heavy rain expected on Tuesday when Iā€™m due to come.

I donā€™t mind retrieving my green wellies from our coal hole (even though it would mean displacing several families of mice :laughing:) but I really donā€™t want to get Mā€™s shiny car stuck in the mud. :worried:

Any first hand advice (by PM if you prefer) would be much appreciated, diolch.

UPDATE: Iā€™ve cancelled my hotel and will use the money saved for a weekā€™s holiday in the Seychelles. Iā€™ll drive there and back on the Tuesday (only 2.5 hours each way) unless the forecast on Monday night is too vile, so I still hope to make the meetup on Tues on the Maes. :smile:

I think Iā€™ll be coming on wednesday, Iā€™ll come and say hello!

Iā€™ll be there Thursday if anyone around to say hello!

When I walked back to Betws last night I had to cross the footbridge and go directly into the car park to get on the footpath going south. The car park is directly opposite the Maes. It was slightly muddy, surface muddy, I would say. Cars were getting out under their own steam, no sign of tractors.

ps. The BBC is forecasting light showers and a gentle breeze for both today and tomorrow, and itā€™s been quite accurate for the weekend.

I canā€™t bear the thought of missing people who are coming to the Eisteddfod, but canā€™t make the Tuesday meet-up. So on other days Iā€™ll be at the door of the Shwā€™mae Suā€™mae pavilion at 14.00 to say ā€˜Heloā€™ to any passing SSiWers. If you donā€™t know anyone else here, please introduce yourself - Iā€™m the least scary person to talk to if you donā€™t have much Welsh yetā€¦:relaxed:

2 Likes

Weā€™ve just reached the Maes, and are starting to crwydro. If you see us, come and say helloā€¦ :slight_smile:

Thanks, Margaret - vey helpful. :smile:
Iā€™m currently surveying BBC weather, the Met Office and Acuweather and will make my decision last thing tonight. :crossed_fingers:

The muddies bit of the car park I could see, about half an hour ago.

Any wellingtons in sight, on site, are for show and are not needed.

Diolch o galon eto / thank you so much again, Margaret.
Thatā€™s very kind and helpful. :smile:
If I still had my 4 WD Freelander, I wouldnā€™t hesitate, but Maureenā€™s 2 wheel / rear wheel drive is a different matter.
Your picture and helpful advice are much more reassuring than the consensus of weather reports for Tuesday so I will put off my go/no go decision till just before Iā€™m due to leave tomorrow morning.
Still hoping to be able to thank you in person tomorrow. :crossed_fingers:

As you enter the food court area with play areas for kids, the science ā€˜tentā€™ and the Llwyfan y Maes, one of the first things youā€™ll see is a pretty, predominantly wooden seating area with flowers and a decorative arch called Te yn y Grug. This seems like a good place to meet tomorrow as itā€™s not as busy as the area in front of the stage and is easy to find. See you there at 2ish!

3 Likes

@carlton-hogg

Thereā€™s been much more rain overnight and itā€™s heavier and more persistent than the last few days. I expect the car parks will be muddier, but I donā€™t know as Iā€™m on the bus to Llandudno for a few hours. There might be parking available, for which you would need to pay, in Betws, and a reasonably frequent bus service from there. Timetables on the Eisteddfod website. Donā€™t miss the last bus back.

Your careful reporting and the consensus of soggy weather forecasts this morning helped me make my decision to wait till the Eisteddfod ā€œcomes to townā€ this time next year.

Maureenā€™s car is great on the autobahnen but, as a two wheel drive automatic, itā€™s hopeless in mud or on ice.

I enjoyed your account of ā€œMy day at the eisteddfodā€. There does seem to be a certain ā€œp***-up* mewn bragdyā€ aspect to the organisation again but thatā€™s part of the charm 'nd ife? :wink:

Diolch yn fawr iawn unwaith eto am dy cyngor caredig / Thank you very much again for your kind advice. :smile:

Well, that was the highlight of my first ever Eisteddfod! As well as catching up with old friends from past Bootcamps and meet-ups, I found a new Slack chatter (looking at you, Carlton) and a fellow technophobe for phone chats (Di). Congratulations to Ani, who had been nervous about meeting us, but got a warm cwtch from Catrin and instantly joined the SSiW family. And it was a joy to meet my namesake from New Zealand, and see the reactions of others to the presence of not one but two excited Bronwensā€¦ A reminder that Iā€™ll be around till Friday, hoping to meet up with other SSiWers who couldnā€™t get to the meet-up today. See you next year in Tregaron!

4 Likes

Great to see you all!! I have managed to rescue Emma from Elliw, but Elliw did ask if Emma could go to the next bootcamp, is there any space in September @Iestyn :wink:?

4 Likes

We had a good day today, Tracey was disappointed with the lack of a strawberry and chocolate stall and she tried to make up for it with a lack-lustre milkshake ā€¦ it didnā€™t work, but apart from that it was all good. I bought some more books, that was always going to happen. The highlight, obviously, was meeting all the SSiWers and having a good chat for an hour and a half. Thank you one and all.

6 Likes