What are the challenges for Welsh societies in America/Canada?

As I said here, I was inspired by what Donna Lloyd Jones had to say at NAFOW about the need to appeal to a younger audience, and to find ways to increase the sense of connection for 3rd or 4th generation Americans/Canadians with Welsh heritage.

But I don’t think for a moment that five days in Washington gave me any more than the most cursory of glimpses into your world - so to help fine-tune SSiW decisions about what we can do to help, I’d be hugely grateful if you could tell us about the challenges you face - either as individual learners over there, or as people involved in running local Welsh societies or meetups, or NAFOW itself…

And if you could also tag anyone you can think of who could help contribute to this thread, that would be great! I’ll start the ball rolling with @tahl @delawarejones @atomic_newt @AnnaC @lewie @sionned @Allison @maeganlanger @joanie @silverpepper @gerriparry :slight_smile: :stars:

For me it’s the sheer lack of people with whom to chat in Welsh. The miles between us didn’t help

Aran
If you want me to send you the already transcribed email list, let me know
Susan Davies Sit
Welsh Soc Western New England
WelshWNE@gmail.com

Thank you for answering Susan. This is helpful for me. Are there other challenges that have been difficult to overcome? Also, what things went well?

Susan, that would be fantastic - maybe when we have some specific help to offer…:slight_smile:

Very interesting about the practice partner thing - have you tried the Welsh Speaking Practice? To what extent does/doesn’t that help? :star2:

Aran could you please ask Dee to resend me the link to all the challenge Monday emails please. I want to figure out where I am and what I missed doing (Sentences and sound board etc) and catch up too.
SUSAN DAVIES SIT

If you click on ‘Learn’ up at the top there and then (when you’re over on the lesson side of the site) click on it again, you’ll see the link for your course - click on that and you should be in the control panel, where you should be able to browse through everything you’ve done… :slight_smile:

Alternatively, I think going to https://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/6mws will do the same thing for you, if you’re logged in… :slight_smile:

My Florida Gulf Coast Welsh Society in Sarasota is a mix of Canadians, Australians, Americans and Brits. It’s well run and lively… pub crawls, gymanfas, outings, a float in the St. Patrick Day’s parade, etc. But very few speak Welsh. Those that do tend to be elderly. We are caught in a time warp…Wales as it used to be. That’s why SSI is so valuable; a window on Wales as it is now.