What's outside

@margaretnock You poor thing! I am glad it was no worse and hope you are well insured!
It makes my current problem seem pretty minor, but I’ve started so I’ll finish…
@ramblingjohn I know you are a naturalist, not a gardener, but I am throwing out two pics and asking “Can anyone tell us what is growing in our waterlogged grass?” Janet says it reminds her of mustard and cress grown at school! We don’t object to the little leaves, the ‘lawn’ is just a place for dogs to run about and play! We would like to be sure that it isn’t poisonous to dogs and won’t die and leave big patches!

that shows it with grass to give idea of size, this:-

enlarges the little leaves a bit!
Any advice gratefully received! It has suddenly arrived in the last month or so!

1 Like

Is this close to your bird feeders @henddraig? I had a similar situation where the birds were discarding seeds that they weren’t keen on & they sprouted.

1 Like

That was Janet’s theory, but, firstly, we only just started feeding after stopping due to sick birds, secondly, I think the location isn’t quite right vis a vis the feeders and thirdly, it was sunflowers that tried to grow from that source! I can see, if we wait and see, I may be proved wrong…mm…sunflowers?? Welcome to the mid-Argyll jungle folks!

2 Likes

It looks like chick weed. Has it any small white flowers?

2 Likes

I thought that too, but no flowers yet!

2 Likes

Tangerine groves.

The name slips I give at each temple.

I arrived at no 51 today. I’m not walking every step of the way. If it’s raining, public transport. If I’m offered a lift, I accept. If it’s a long way, or very hard walking, public transport or the road. There are signs on the map saying ‘Henro, (pilgrim) fall down’, as a warning, not an instruction. I know that I don’t bounce any more, so I’m avoiding, if possible, those bits of the route.

9 Likes

My admiration for you grows daily! And I envy you the tangerines!

1 Like

I did eat one this morning, and it was delicious!

1 Like

Heddiw - today.

Cap tyllog melyngoch y bedw - Orange birch bolete.

Lindys o gwyfyn bidog tywyll - caterpillar of dark dagger moth.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

Taith Margaret - Margaret’s journey.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

Flora and Fauna near Langass Lodge, North Uist
We saw these aplenty while walking in the woods on holiday. I include a shot of one upturned (not by me) to help identification.

They tasted funny. After eating them, Maureen discovered these two large mammals, one of which she identified as “the bear with the sore head” :laughing:

8 Likes

I would never dare to eat a red fungus! i am dubious about red berries unless I am sure of their identity!d

1 Like

For those interested the conservation charity Plantlife has quite a nice spotter’s guide to October fungi (plus others relating to plants and insects) on this webpage: http://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discover-wild-plants-nature/spotter-sheets?utm_source=Discover&utm_medium=enews&utm_name=spotter&utm_content=fungi&mc_cid=988d9b5c97&mc_eid=b8416bafc9

3 Likes

Sorry, yet again it was my attempt at a joc bach. :blush.

We didn’t and wouldn’t consume any unknown fungi, but M did see the two bears. Here’s the story about the larger one: :smile: EDIT: My inexpert identification from internet resources is Russula emetica “The Sickener” in which case it’s just as well we didn’t sample it. :smile:

2 Likes

Possibly. Cap brau cyfoglyd - The sickener.

Anyway, it’s a member of the russula family ( teulu braidd yn mawr - fairly large family).
They come in a large variety of colours.
Next time you find one, (bright white gills and stem) try snapping the stem, most fungi will squash, tear or turn into a mass of strands, one feature of this family is it will snap like a stick of chalk but easier.

We see daddy bear and baby bear in the photo, where was mummy bear.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Diolch J.P. Your post overlapped my edit in which I had also come to the conclusion that it was “The Sickener”. Diolch am yr enw Cymraeg. :smile:

1 Like

where was mummy bear

Dyma hi :smile:

3 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Cap niwl - Clouded agaric.

Torthau’r tylwyth teg - Sulphur tuft (translate the welsh name for ‘Faries loaves’ which is better than the english name).

Cheers J.P

3 Likes

Just by look, I’d expect the first ones to be poisonous, while the fairy loaves look yummy! Am I right, or are they naughty fairies? :smile:

1 Like

Eating Sulphur Tuft? From Level 2 Challenge 17: Fydden i ddim yn gneud hynny tasen i’n ti. (I wouldn’t do that if I were you.)

1 Like