Would you like to be on S4C?

Tinopolis, the television company who produce the Prynhawn Da programme on S4C are running a feature on life changing experiences called Newid Byd and they wish to do one item on Welsh learners whom have had life changing experiences as a result of having learnt Welsh.

Has learning Welsh changed your life?

Are you now living and working in Wales as a result of learning Welsh?

Have you met the love of your life because of learning Welsh?

Has Learning Welsh changed your life in any other way?

If you are interested in appearing on the Prynhawn Da programme to be interviewed about your experiences (about a 6 minute interview), then please get in touch with Angharad Mair Griffiths via the following channels -

angharad.griffiths@tinopolis.com

Or Facebook: Angharad Mai Griffiths

Or phone: 01554 880880

3 Likes

@Deborah-SSi :slight_smile:

I would recommend this to anyone - I went on Bore Da about this time last year and it was a great experience.

The people at S4C want to make you look really good, so I wouldn’t worry about hard interrogation or odd questions etc.

Plus, being in the studio - you’ll probably get a makeover and a nice cup of coffee out of it!

3 Likes

I have told Angharad Griffiths quite enthusiastically that I am certain some of our learners would be very happy to take part and to expect a keen response, because there are so many of you out there with such interesting stories to tell - so come on, it’s on my head!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

If they can make me look convincingly 35 years younger and slimmer, I’ll be on the first train. :slight_smile:

OK, well, the response seemed a little slow … unless everyone is secretly contacting Angharad and not saying anything, like I did :slight_smile:

I was anticipating it being some time in the future, but I’m booked to go to the studio in Llanelli next Tuesday! I don’t know about wanting to be on S4C, but my life has certainly changed through learning Welsh.

7 Likes

My answers were:

• No
  • Yes, I now speak Welsh
  • No
  • No
  • No

So I think that rules me out…

1 Like

I’ve just seen this. Learning Welsh has been a life changing experience for me, but I struggle to think of anything specific. Of course if any Welsh speaking ladies were to sweep me off my feet, that would be great!

1 Like

Has learning Welsh changed your life? – Yes, but so slowly and subtly that it’s impossible to point to any dramatic or interesting change.

Are you now living and working in Wales as a result of learning Welsh? – No, though I had tried to learn Welsh before moving here, I speak Welsh because I came to live and work in Wales. :slight_smile:

Have you met the love of your life because of learning Welsh? – No, though we both do speak Welsh now.

Has Learning Welsh changed your life in any other way? – See above about being a slow and subtle change and impossible to point to any clear and specific examples.

Sorry not to be more help.

Slightly better than me… the only way my life has changed is that I now talk to the dogs in Welsh, so they can be baffled, badly trained and disobedient in two languages now.

3 Likes

I’m sensing a lot of people beating themselves up a bit in this thread!

That, in and of itself is going to be pretty interesting to viewers - you changed the language of your household after spending what must have been the majority of your life speaking another language. People would love that.

You can now speak Welsh, whereas at one point in the past you couldn’t. That is a humungous change in your life!! Some people go through life only speaking one language, some two. Adding another language, well - it’s as much of a change as growing a third arm.

You’d be surprised how many Welsh speaking ladies will be watching the programme :wink:

Emma Jenkins and Huw Fash can work miracles!

3 Likes

I have been able to speak some Welsh for over 50 years, so my learning curve has been exceedingly gradual with, every so often, a step up to a new plateau. :smile: Also, although both my husband and I do speak Welsh, the language of the house is predominantly English. Anyway, I’ve already told my Welsh learning story in the latest edition of Y Wawr (Issue 200), so I’ll leave it to younger people to take up the S4C challenge.

1 Like

OK, so I did it and it wasn’t quite as scary as I thought. The presenters were lovely, the support people were lovely, and it was great to catch up with Llinos again. I met her in Pantri Blakeman on Saturday morning as she was organising the accommodation for the students from Quebec, but I didn’t realise she was THE Dr Llinos from Prynhawn Da!

The only thing I was kicking myself for afterwards was that with Yvonne’s questions focusing on her interest in New Zealand, I didn’t get a chance to talk about SSiW! I had planned to get that in at the end, but she was back onto my Kiwi necklace asking me the history behind it, and suddenly it was the end of my slot!

I did enjoy it though in the end, and now that I know that Yvonne follows me on Twitter, I’ll have to tweet some comments that might encourage them to invite me back :wink:

So if you want to watch - and then put your own name forward - it’s at http://beta.s4c.cymru/clic/programme/797794791 about 29 minutes in.

11 Likes

I watched this live but forgot to mention!

We enjoyed it greatly, couldn’t watch it fully in peace without Lara saying “Aw, isn’t Dee nice?”, “She’s so nice” every 30 seconds while it was on :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hollol wych, Dee. Mor, mor arbennig… :star: :star2:

1 Like

Slightly separate to this, but in a very similar vein, I will be on Prynhawn Da on Tuesday 19th June at 14:00.

With the Eisteddfod now about 6/7 weeks away, I believe they are trying to get one finalist from the DyF competition on the show every Tuesday afternoon.

Steve Dimmick will be on tomorrow I believe, with me to follow - the other three guys I assume will be on over the next three weeks after that.

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Just watched this Dee and it was great, you are a natural! I hope you will put thus in the newsletter.

1 Like

You are brilliant! I will never be as naturally fluent!

That was lovely :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have just watched this Dee, and you were great! And for once I managed to understand most of it!

1 Like