You know you are learning Welsh when

I can forgive their blindness, but get a chill when i start to envisgage the potential extent of their unforeseen consequences.

I’m not sure what you mean by this - what I’ve always seen (in terms of separate communities) is incomers keeping to themselves and not becoming part of such communities, completely the opposite thing. Not “natives” turning “inwards”.

And the help seems to go to such newly created “reservations”.

Oh, and on the last point, we are, as it happens. This isn’t the site to go into details but no, it isn’t because we aren’t trying to help ourselves.

1 Like

Ignorance is one thing, but I never behave like that when visiting or moving to another country.
I always assume the people in that country know more about things than I do. I don’t try to tell people in other countries what’s best for them or how best to do things in their country. I assume I am ignorant and act accordingly. I ask things of the people of that country and try to benefit from their experience. That’s what everyone should do. Ignorance does not excuse not doing that.

I know this. But no, that is not the “whole point”.
The definition of a country and state can vary from person to person.
A more important point is that ignorance does not excuse their behaviour.
And it is also important to point out that Welsh communities are certainly not “inward looking reservations” which are not looking after themselves.

And these small communities shouldn’t have to shoulder this responsibility and become activists accused of being extremists. Planning regulations, government conditions on funding and general education to people ( that I will give the benefit of the doubt to) should do the trick and head-off any issues and potential conflicts of opinion.

I wasn’t really aware of these things going on so a media that takes an interest in these sorts of things would be very useful too.

1 Like

In hospital in Paisley (Scotland). They have lost my blood test results which may delay the op on my cataract. (I am a coward and need anaesthetic.) Young Scottish anaesthetist comes to say she’s found it. “O, diolch yn fawr iawn!” I cry! This was ages ago and I thought I’d mentioned it here, but cannot find it!

Tipi Village near Llandeilo has been there about 40 years and sends the kids to Welsh Medium schools!!

… when you are so committed to dechrau pob sgwrs yn y Gymraeg that you even make sure you angrily speak Welsh to a farmer after his dog has bitten your leg. At least I managed to get a 10 minute Welsh conversation out of it. :blush:

5 Likes

Hope you went to get treatment, dog bites can be nasty - full of bacteria!! What did you do to annoy the dog? But brillianr to speak Cymraeg in those circumstances!!

1 Like

Yes,

In some ways I wish I could take back some of my posts on this one, particularly in light of the comments about keeping this forum a safe and welcoming place etc. I shouldn’t have expressed my views on people that I don’t even know and for all I know there are many unexpected and surprising people out there who could be doing some great things for the language and just not publicising the fact.

Of course. I was cycling, turns out it’s not just car drivers that hate us cyclists. :unamused:

The Tipi village is very well known and, I think, liked, nothing like the outfit you described which specified English!
To @gruntius oh dear, when foolish sheep dogs tried to stop and round up my car, it wasn’t me that got hurt! I hope the farmer manages to teach his dog not to herd bearded blokes on bikes!

1 Like

Did you ever read Richard Ballantyne’s original bicycling book?
He had a very robust way with aggressive dogs.
I’ll just say “bicycle pump”, and not be more specific…

(I do like dogs, and never had dog problems myself while on a bike, although I have while walking).

I had to keep my dogs on lead sometimes and say loudly to them, “No, you have to stay on leads because we don’t want to frighten the sheep,” This was for the benefit of tourists! If my dogs could have talked, they would have said, “But we are a bit frightened of sheep and don’t chase them”!

2 Likes

When you start writing “cwestiwn” instead of “question” (happens to me all the time!)

5 Likes

You are watching Bud ar bedwar and stare at a lorry from near Llanelli wondering about Cement Plant, then realise it is in English!

2 Likes

Fforest/forest/forrest/ can be a tricky one to decide on when writing in English.

Another English word that just doesn’t look right is “of”. I can’t recall any other English words (other than some plurals), where f has a v sound.

1 Like

That’s interesting. Especially as doubling the “f” to “ff” hardens the sound, as in “off”, and as it would also in Welsh.

3 Likes

Oh, like Gari instead of my given name Gary? Most SSiWers call me sumsmeister, Sums, or even Mr. Sums!!
I really like Gari.

In German, W is v, V is f… is there a chain starting here!!!