Blowing Trumpets, Writing Novels, Radio Interviews and Book Launches!

Noswaith dda gyfeillion!

Some of you may remember that a while back I started this thread asking you what you did for a living. I had reached a rather sticky point in my life. I was having difficulty trying to make qualifications, experience, a collection of skills and varying commitments fit together in a sensible fashion, to form a productive and enjoyable life, whilst still being faithful to SSiW.

I’ve always had a love of writing. I’ve dabbled in blogs and attended various courses at Ty Newydd. But last year, for the first time ever I received a request from the publishing house Gwasg y Bwthyn in Caernarfon to write a short story for a book that’s (excitingly!) just been published this week! @helenlindsay cleverly spotted the book being advertised on Twitter by Manon Steffan Ros. You can read all about the book in the thread which Helen started here.

This morning I had the wonderful pleasure of accompanying Marred Glyn Jones from Gwasg y Bwthyn to the Radio Cymru studios in Bangor, to record an interview with Dei Tomos. He wanted to chat to us about the book and asked me to read a short piece from my story. The programme will be broadcast next Sunday evening at 17:30! :grinning:

I’m also looking forward to a book launch event at Palas Print, Caernarfon on Saturday the 25th of March at 12:30pm. I will be there reading an extract from my story and Sian James, who’s another contributor to the book, will be reading and singing. I’m not sure as yet which other authors will be attending. If you’re in the area please call in, it would be wonderful to see you!!! :slight_smile:

But the big exciting news is that I’ve been commissioned to write my first novel!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Gwasg y Bwthyn loved the story and its characters so much that they’ve asked if I would write a novel on a ‘what happens next’ basis, taking the characters’ life adventure to the next level. I’m incredibly chuffed and excited about the whole process and am already a few chapters in, which have already been given the seal of approval! If all goes well, It will be published next year!

Thank you all so much for letting me share and for being so enthusiastic and supportive!!!

33 Likes

What Catrin doesn’t say here, but which some of you will know, is that she has fought some huge personal battles to get here - facing long-term challenges with confidence, with self-worth, with the sense that her voice could be of value… and it has taken an enormous amount of courage and determination and sheer hard work to get to this point.

Angharad Lliar and Beuno Llŷn and I simply couldn’t be prouder of her… :heart: :star2: :sunny: :fire:

18 Likes

Now, who’d be interested in a couple of special lessons dealing with some of the, er, livelier examples of colloquial usage in Catrin’s short story?! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau! What a fantastic opportunity. Hopefully, my Welsh will have improved enough by the time of it’s release to be able to read the masterwork (no pressure) without too much difficulty, unless you’re planning on writing the Welsh Finnegans Wake!

2 Likes

@CatrinLliarJones Llongyfarchiadau (many thanks to the dictionary for help with spelling!)
Your post is inspirational. I think that I’ve been following a similar path, so everything I’ve read about this in previous posts and the above give me additional drive to push forward with my painting and drawing and not give into doubt and all the other niggles!

3 Likes

Much Awesome!

2 Likes

@CatrinLliarJones Wow, wow, wow! SO excited for you - llongyfarchiadau mawrion! :star2: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Already sent llongyfarchiadau. According to Amazon I can expect your book any day now! Before official release date??

2 Likes

I’ve read what you’ve written @CatrinLliarJones - hardly though but all the rest remains unread for now because I don’t know … should I preorder your novel in advance or should I scream out of joy!

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Oh, I just had to, sorry!

On further note: I know how it is when you battle with the confidence, self worthness etc, etc, because, as a handicaped person, I went through all this. My only releiving circumstance was that it was all in my childhood and teen years when (now I know that) people can be vounrable though but very much more adaptive …

So yes, dear Catrin! I’m cheering with you!

Didn’t I say that time reveals it all! It did in best possible way. Now, boldly go further!

Llongyfarchiadau! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Diolch, diolch, diolch, diolch, diolch!!!

I am so very grateful to you all for your kindness. I hope (if you find it readable) that you enjoy it and that it makes you giggle. :wink:

Oh and @Richmountart, absolutely go for it and please feel free to share your work here!

6 Likes

Just picked up my copy from the local bookshop. I know what I’m doing when I get home - straight to page 85!

3 Likes

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa! You’re the first person I know of who’s been able to buy a copy! Hope you enjoy it! [just a little nervous] :scream:

2 Likes

I had an e-mail from Amazon saying mine is on its way!

2 Likes

Now available on Gwales:

http://www.gwales.com/bibliographic/?isbn=9781907424946

@Deborah-SSi - diolch diolch - and maybe re-run with a direct purchase link in next week’s email? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well done Catrin! Best wishes.

3 Likes

Yes, @aran, Gwales … but did you see what it says? WELSH LANGUAGE BOOK OF THE MONTH! Da iawn ti @CatrinLliarJones.

6 Likes

Do you have an Amazon affiliate code? Then you could earn another couple of pennies for each copy sold through the link in the newsletter.

2 Likes

That’s a kind idea, Philip - and actually would be very interesting in terms of tracking the numbers (even more than the pennies!) - does it work even if the copies are bought from the marketplace providers rather than directly from Amazon?

I’m not completely sure I’m afraid, but I think that when an affiliate link is followed, all purchasing activity in that “session” (until they close the Amazon page) is attributed to the link - so even if somebody decides not to buy that particular book but instead clicks something else and ends up buying that!

Also, you might need to bear in mind that as far as I know, affiliate links are specific to one Amazon country edition such as amazon.co.uk versus amazon.com or amazon.de. But I presume a large proportion of the newsletter recipients would be using amazon.co.uk so it would help even if only that one has a link.

2 Likes

It might be a little late and rushed in the day to do it this time, but I’m thinking it could be a valuable help to understand what kind of numbers the forum/email is contributing when Catrin’s book gets published next year… :slight_smile:

2 Likes