Clwb Cardiau Post Cymraeg

Diolch am dy gerdyn o’r Unol Daleithiau Billy #298

Hi
I would like to say thank you to who has sent me the card.
The pictures show it has been damaged severely, and I am unable to respond, but it got here!!

Diolch Ben (#279). Cerdyn hyfred o’r UDA gyda stamp rownd diddorol.

How can I join the Postcard Club?

1 Like

@afl2 I recognize the handwriting! I’m fran#30. My poor postcard - looks like a lion has eaten half of it!!!

Hi @Baruch - by sending an email to Nia at nia@saysomethingin.com; our latest update will be being sent out soon, so a great time to join :slight_smile:
I deal with updating the membership list, so expect to hear from me too!

1 Like

Hi Fran
Thanks for sending it.
Hope you have better luck next time.

1 Like

We will be sending out the updated list next Friday - 12th March - this month.
(Which means that anyone hoping to join still has time to email Nia at nia@saysomethingin.com…)

I am sad to share that Margaret, member #300, passed away (moved on to be with her dear Lord) on the evening of March 30th.

She was so happy to be a part of the club, and had been looking forward to catching up on her card writing after some weeks of ill health. Sadly, I know that most of her replies didn’t get the chance to happen - but if you were someone who sent her a card, please know that it was very appreciated, and did bring an extra joy (and challenge!). I am very sure of this because she was my Mom.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss Ann, sending love and condolences to you and all the family. I hope that the great news of Easter brings peace and comfort to you this weekend xxx

1 Like

So sorry to hear this, Ann. May you cherish the fond memories.:disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

I am sorry to hear that your Mum has died. I hope that you find all the help and support that you need during this sad time. I hope that one day your bright memories of her will outshine your tears.
With love and sympathy.
Sharon.

1 Like

When writing a postcard to someone unknown for the first time in this Clwb, would it be more appropriate to use “chi” or “ti”?
I know perfectly well that the SSiW motto is “Don’t Worry!” Well, it’s an excellent motto and I’m not worried, but I’d like to know anyway!

It really is a case of “Don’t worry” :slight_smile: When I first started in the club I didn’t know how to use the Chi form so everyone was a ti to me! I get both ti and chi when I receive cards for the first time. I really don’t think anyone minds. I think if you were to know the person it would be a bit more important maybe to get it right but as it is a club for fun I think you should choose which ever one you think you would like the most practice of. And just enjoy it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Diolch i chi gyd - I’m sorry for the long gap in answering, but your messages are much appreciated - I think Mom would be very touched by them too.

I will catch up, in time…

For those expecting an updated membership list out later today, apologies - with @nia.llywelyn’s move next week and my own complications, we’re very pushed on time - but hoping that we’ll be able to get an update out to you all next Friday (14th May).

Diolch am eich amynedd - thanks for your patience.

2 Likes

I’m suffering from (very mild) postcard anxiety. When I write to someone, I generally ask a few chatty questions. When people reply, they often ask me questions, too. Hence the anxiety - should I reply, which seems only polite, and keep up the conversation, or, given the ever lengthening list of members, should I write to new people every month?

A case in point - I received this lovely card from @hinako in Yokohama today:

She writes in beautiful, idiomatic Welsh, but says she can’t yet say much in Welsh yet. I want to make sure she knows about the chance to practise speaking Welsh on Slack. And to say that she’s the first Japanese person I know who’s learning Welsh because she’s a fan of Elis James. And…

9 Likes

I’m glad you received the card, Bronwen :heart:
I get what you mean about the anxiety, I have it as well!
And thank you, you’re so kind about my Welsh! I actually used some words/sentences I looked up online and I wasn’t sure if I was using them correctly, so it’s good to know you understood me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I’ve been a bit scared of exploring on Slack or participating in the zoom lessons to be honest, but I know I should be practising speaking so I’ll try to give it a go!
I’m so happy that I decided to join the postcard club because it helps me keep going with the learning, and it makes me feel closer to Wales, if that makes sense, because I get to interact with lovely people from Wales like you and Welsh learners from all over the world! And not to mention the feeling when I see a new postcard in the mailbox is the best!
Anyways, thanks so much, Bronwen! Have a lovely day :dog:

10 Likes

Hi @franhunni, just received my card as well. You’ve been busy. Diolch

I’d say go for replying again @BronwenLewis - after all, part of the initial idea of the club was to help people make links and develop friendships with other Welsh learners/speakers. And while this time you got a reply from @hinako on the Forum, not all members use the Forum/WSP/other electronic methods.

I know people have different approaches, but personally feel an ongoing conversation is something to encourage. And replies don’t have to be instant. If someone’s asked questions, I reckon they’re hoping for a reply - and if you’ve got things you want to say, that means they get the joy of another postcard back. (Sending a reply still counts as sending a postcard… :wink:)

The topic of replies has come up in the WSP #postcards channel recently, with some thoughtful comments and suggestions, so anyone interested might like to look there too.

3 Likes