Cornel Y Siaradwyr Thornbury

The next meet up is scheduled for Wednesday 30th Jan in Hawkes House (cafe/bar) in Thornbury from 14:30.

Gwych! Dwi’n edrych ymlaen ato!

Bore da
Is this meeting still on? Now that the bridge tolls have gone it is only 20 minutes from Chepstow.

Yep, still on. Hawkes House is in the middle of Thornbury in St Mary’s precinct. You should find us probably in a section of the café/bar near the back! Look forward to seeing you there.

1 Like

Well, our second meetup in Thornbury was really good. There were 15 of us in total which included fluent speakers from North and South Wales, some not so fluent, and quite a few new faces, from Cas-Gwent (which now seems much more accessible now that the bridge is free), Caerloyw (Gloucester) and Wotton-U-E. It’s likely that the next meetup will be on Wed 27th Feb, same time (14:30) same place (Hawkes House). Next time we shall have to learn another verse of Calon Lan! Looking forward to in already!

3 Likes

Wow, that’s a fantastic turnout - huge congratulations to everyone involved… :star: :star2:

@PhilgJones would you like me to include this in the list of regular meetups at the end of the newsletter now? I can easily update the date of the next meetup if you tag me in here when you post it.

If so, should I list it as ‘Thornbury’ or ‘Bristol’? Which would people be likely to look for?

Yes @Deborah-SSi why not. The next one will be on Wed 27th Feb at 14:30 in Hawkes house Thornbury. Probably list it as ‘Thornbury’.

1 Like

Well, finally the time for our next meetup for Coffi arrived. There were 12 of us in total if you include Cynthia’s English only friend who just came along to see what it was all about! We finished up with our usual rendition of ‘Calon Lan’, and even added a quick ‘Sosban Fach’ and the goat song!. (Not wishing to put any potential newcomers off mind you).

Anyway, the next meetup for coffi is again the last Wednesday of the month which is 27th March in Hawkes House Thornbury at 14:30.

I’m just posting here so I get any new notifications from the thread. Hope I’ll be able to come to the next one and I’m in courage to hear that an English only speaker was there and didn’t run away :+1: I’m currently on the challenge six and slowly working my way through a teach yourself book as well.

There is also a button at the bottom of the thread, that you can set to ‘Watching’ to make sure you get replies :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another enjoyable meet up last Wednesday in Hawkes House. The next one will be on Wednesday April 24th usual place, usual time (14:30). So, if you are interested in coming along, just let me know, (or just turn up!). @Deborah-SSi

1 Like

The next meet up for coffee at Hawkes House will be on Wednesday May 29th. Usual time, 14:30. Just look for us in the back, or listen out for some Welsh voices!

2 Likes

Another great sgwrs in Hawkes House this afternoon. A couple of new people too, both fluent Welsh speakers. Just 9 of us, (still great), as a few away or otherwise busy. Looking forward to our next meetup on Wed June 26th at 14:30 in Hawkes House.

JUST 9! That’s a great number! I remember the early days of the Cardiff meetups when only 2 of us showed up, so I would celebrate 9 :partying_face:

Well, another great meet up in Thornbury! Twelve of us this time despite one or two ‘regulars’ being unable to make it this time. We welcomed Tony from Cas Gwent, for the first time and all enjoyed the chance to get to know each other more, all in the welcoming and hospitable atmosphere of Hawkes House. We usually get together on the last Wednesday of the month (14:30 in Hawkes House), so next month’s will be on July 31st, just before the Eisteddfod!.

1 Like

That’s brilliant @PhilgJones! Perhaps a few of our Cardiff SSiWers will have to try and make a visit :slight_smile:

Another well attended meetup in Thornbury yesterday. Thirteen of us in total enjoying the opportunity to chat and enjoy a paned (neu cwrw am Lloyd!). The next meetup is scheduled once again for the last Wednesday of the month which will be 28th August, usual time and place. Hawkes House at 14:30.

1 Like

In spite of the summer holidays, (which meant that several regular faces were unavailable), there were still nine of us in total, including one new face! (another ‘Mam iaith’ originally from y fro Ardudwy, but resident in Thornbury). A great opportunity for us learners, and also for those first language speakers who rarely get the opportunity to practice their mother tongue with random people. I love it, and the next ‘sgwrs’ will be on September the 25th. Same time, same place.

2 Likes

Oh, I’ve just found this thread, so I’ve likely just missed the September meet. Do you plan one in October? If so, would it be 4th or 5th Wednesday, which is Halloween?