'henddraig's S4C Petition Update!

Another American, @Deborah-SSi
1385, from Rochester, Minnesota. USA
if this is @michaelterencewalter, newly mapped, Diolch yn fawr, Michael!!! And welcome to the Forum. Any problems, just ask, someone will be able to help, or at least sympathise!

1 Like

Cywir. Dw iā€™n yr un peth a y Mike ar y map.

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi 1386 and 1387: both USA,
Norfolk, Virginia says:- I have been studying Welsh as a foreign language for several years and have only been able to watch Welsh TV online. I would happily pay to subscribe and have access to S4C!
and, from Utah, a member of the Edwards family says:-
I feel that England and the British government long have been unfair to Wales and her beautiful culture, language, and history. Even in just the last few weeks, I have discovered them, and they are very valuable to me. I am of Welsh heritage. Edwards is sometimes English, but my ancestors are also Welsh. Please keep this station going.
Diolch to both these lovely gentlemen!

2 Likes

@Deborah-SSi
1388 from Oswestry, Shropshire.

And now - 1389, from Chesterfield, Derbyshire
says:-
Welsh is an established language of the UK, and one of several Celtic languages spoken on these islands. It is part of our heritage and we owe it to the generations that come after us to keep it alive for them. We also owe the rest of the world a duty of care to protect the living source of the language for them.
I couldnā€™t agree more!
While I was typing that, along came 1390 from
Daventry, Northamptonshire and said:-
Apart from cultural vandalism this proposal is discriminatory and racist.
S4C is invaluable.
I bet the n/l bringsā€™em in @Deborah-SSi!

1 Like

A sudden rush, @Deborah-SSi, 1391-1398
Oxford, saying Iā€™m England born Welsh, Welsh learner/speaker, patrio.t not nationalist, British and proud of my heritage and culture. The British Government has contributed a great deal to the weakening of the Welsh language and therefore has a duty to redress the damage and support our native Brythonic languages
Longmont, Colorado, USA who says:- started learning when in Manchester, England. S4C is a great resource
more in USA - New York and Chicago. The latter says:- Iā€™ve been learning Welsh for over a year now, and itā€™s a beautiful language with an incredibly rich past. The S4C plays a crucial role in keeping the language alive both in Welsh culture and abroad, for those who are Welsh learners such as myself. To lose programming from the S4C would be a huge blow to anyone who values this ancient and beautiful language
then, London, England with no comment;
Pheonix, Arizona ; been studying for 17 years, full access to S4C would be very helpfull
Irving, Texas - Please keep S4C available, itā€™s important to me & my family
and finally, Parkton, Maryland, USA.
Diolch yn fawr iawn, pawb!

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi, I am wondering if a choir or local group just met in Oregon, USA, or at the gathering of Welsh Americans as -
1399-1403
Portland, Oregon, saying:- S4C is an essential part of the cultural Welsh language development for my children. The are no real options for them here in the USA to hear and enjoy Welsh. There are only one or two native speakers in the Welsh Society here who are seniors. S4C gives them a way to engage with childrens prorams and hear other children speaking Welsh. I would be happy to pay a fee to hear more S4C programming.
then , like a sandwich filling - Warrington, Cheshire, England
Sheridan, Oregon
Portland, Oregon saying:- I am learning Welsh and have started performing Welsh songs. I rely heavily on material funded through s4c to help me and inspire me. Please maintain our improve funding for this station.
and, to prove that others in the diaspora care too -
Lawson, New South Wales, USA
And, editing @Deborah-SSi, next morning, up has popped
from Averill Park, New York, USA

@Deborah-SSi And moreā€¦1405-1409
Portland, Oregon, USA
Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada - I love the town name
Ardmore, Oklahoma and San Diego, California, USA
and Perth, Western Australia who says:- Cymru am byth S4c and the 2nd oldest language in the world sung and and spoken stillā€¦

Thanks for the n/l mention, @Deborah-SSi!
The largely American rush delightfully continues, diolch @Sionned to your fellow citizens!
1410-1414
From USA:
Madeira, California,
Carbondale,PA (Pennsylvania coal belt?) who says: Do not undo centuries of culture and identity while proclaiming to be a nation of acceptance and support for minorities. You have a treasure before you. Do the right thing. We know that you will.
another TWO of our friends from Portland, Oregon, one of whom says: Iā€™m a rank beginner, and may not get farā€“Welsh is not easy! But at least thereā€™s a place where the language can be Heard. Please, donā€™t take it away.
and one more from back across the pond in London, England!

1 Like

Another lovely response, @Deborah-SSi 1415-1423
London, England
Hayden, Idaho, USA
2 gentlemen from Edmond, Oklahoma, USA
Franklin Park, Cook County, Illinois, USA - a lady says:- It would be a real loss to allow this language to disappear
I think we can all assure her that we will do all we can, while still living, to ensure that does not happen!
Vienna, Austria (I am so sorry that citizens of Wien feel obliged to call their lovely home Vienna on-line!)
Stockport, Cheshire, England,
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Worcester, England
Diolch yn fawr to any of those who are reading this!

1 Like

1424-1426
@Deborah-SSi
a lady from Rusagonis, New Brunswick, Canada who says:- Iā€™ve longed to learn my fatherā€™s first language. To have access to a Welsh language TV channel would be amazing!
I think Iā€™ll e-mail her and suggest S4C International on-line!
the other two were from
Georgia, USA and
Leicester, England

Just one more today - 1427
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
@Deborah-SSi

One at a time now @Deborah-SSi ! 1428
a lady from St. Paul, Minnesota, USA said:-S4C is vital to Wales and to Welsh people all over the world. Those of us learning Welsh in Minnesota, U.S.A., refer to it for features and online programming.

Another 1429 from Saint Paul, Minnesota! @Deborah-SSi!

@Deborah-SSi after a short pause on 1429,
a lady from a famous location!
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

1 Like

Unfortunately, @Deborah-SSi, I had to delete one this morning as he is in Cardiff, so not outside Wales! However, we have two more,
1431 and 1432, both in USA
,Salem, Oregon and Calabasas, California - I love that name!

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi - an Aussie today!
1433, from Perth, Western Australia, he says:- Have a heart Sir, we need this link with our history, tisā€™ a small thing we ask.

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi 1434 is from Bath, Somerset, England

I have a general question about petitions. I hope itā€™s ok to post here.

How long can petitions be open to signatories? What are the steps that we expect to be taken before reaching our goal? Does a petition need to be submitted at some stage?

1 Like

This one has been submitted once and one of the MPs suggested I let it run as it does not hurt to remind the Government of the rest of the world, some of whom are potential tourists and/or customers. The main point is that the matter is still unresolved. S4C has still not had its funding restored! Most petitions get an an answer quite quickly. This did not.