'henddraig's S4C Petition Update!

OK, thank you.

But more generally, what happens next? Start the petition and then…? Does it go to a specific MP, or is it dealt with centrally? I know petitions over 100,000 are debated automatically. Just wasn’t sure of the general process.

This was not via the Parliamentary site. it is one available on line in, I think, every country! It was submitted by me to the then Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport for the attention of him and the Select Committee on the subject. S4C funding was being discussed. I believe the Petition in Wales which was then running got a lot more signatures, but I’m not sure how many! When S4C funding is next discussed, I will re-submit the petition and after that? I don’t know, I may try to hand it over to someone younger!

@Deborah-SSi 1435
from Salisbury, Wiltshire, with the very meaningful comment:-
There is no shortage of English language media. Cut the fat, not the bone

1 Like

1436 from Rochdale, Lancs says -
I am a learner and regularly watch s4c to help me. The subtitles are really useful
@Deborah-SSi

1 Like

oh, I forgot to mention that I had to delete another signature from Wales! @Deborah-SSi could you maybe remind folk in the n/l that this petition is specifically for those outside Wales? Is there still a petition in existence from Wales?

I suspect those people come from a different source. It’s stated very clearly in the newsletter that it’s for people from outside Wales.

2 Likes

Point made! One more today 1437, this one a lady from down the road from here in Glasgow, Scotland.

St. Alban’s, Herts, England
is home to 1438, a lady who says:-
Please take the time to read and understand what is being asked. Try to imagine if your family had been prevented from speaking English as happened to my late father with his Welsh. You might well want to be able to relate to your family in what was and is their native tongue . S4C is a valuable instrument, not only in the learning of the language to keep alive the connections and understanding between families and communities outside Wales, thus helping to promote a cohesive society. Thank you.
I think that says it all!!! Don’t you @Deborah-SSi?

2 Likes

@Deborah-SSi a Jones from Newent, Gloucestershire is 1439 and says:-
Living outside wales, I watch S4C on the internet. It’s important for me as I am loosing my ability to speak Welsh, it’s my only link to the language

1 Like

Well, @Deborah-SSi we have crept up to 1440
a lady from Daly City. California, USA

May I say to her and any other in the areas affected by terrible forest fires, I do hope all is well with you, and if you are suffering the horrors we have seen on TV, I am sure we wish you quick redress, efficient Insurance assessors and rapid return to normal.

1 Like

1441 from Zoetermeer, Netherlands, says
S4C is a very important tool to keep this beautiful ancient language alive. I’m not Welsh but I am very proud to be learning Cymraeg.
another great message to the UK Government! @Deborah-SSi

I began to think, @Deborah-SSi that we were stuck on 1441, but the n/l worked its magic and -
1442 is a lady from Branson, Missouri, USA

1 Like

It is so lovely when I look at the signature list and immediately know who to thank!
@Deborah-SSi, from
Toronto, Ontario, Canada, who but @SarahDawn could be 1443, and leave a comment like:-
I was incredibly disappointed at the lack of Welsh-Language media available for someone who is not in Wales or the UK.
Without S4C, I would have no access to Welsh-Language television media, which is, in fact, my ancestral language, and was spoken by my Grandfather and Mother. As it stands, there is incredibly limited access for someone who is not in Wales or the UK, and I would be a strong viewer of more S4C programming if it were available internationally.
Diolch yn fawr, Sarah Dawn fach!

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi the n/l magic continues to work!
1444, a shy person from somewhere in the UK, whoever you are, Diolch yn fawr!

More support from USA, @Deborah-SSi
1445-1446
Bluffton, Ohio :- who says : There is a fair amount of S4C programming I would watch if it were available in the US.
and
Jacksonville, Florida
in fairness, should the person from Bluffton be reading this, you should be able to get quite a lot on-line on the S4C International Website.
Diolch yn fawr to both of you!

Newsletter arrives, and ‘Lo!’ at least one new signature @Deborah-SSi to go with it!
1447 is from Dr. Anonynmous in Belgium!!

1 Like

Took a day, but three have come! @Deborah-SSi
1448 - 1450
from Fairfield Heights, NSW, Australia
says:- I’m a long way away from Wales and Welsh speakers. I need all the help I can get to help me relearn my native language.
the others are from
Hillsborough NJ, USA and
Rotorua, New Zealand
Diolch yn fawr all of you!

@Deborah-SSi, one more today, 1451
a lady from Folkestone, Kent

1452, @Deborah-SSi,
from Tyldesley, Lancashire

1453 @Deborah-SSi
From Enfield, Middlesex, says:-
The Welsh Language is a vital part of the British heritage. Public funding for this is as important as any funding for the Arts, S4C maintains the ability for those of us who live outside & inside Wales to hear the language.

1 Like