How to set up and record to an account in SoundCloud

Hi @Ali-Rimmer, this is a document specifically for using iOS devices: Guide to IOS Soundcloud for SSIW’ers.pdf (362.7 KB)

Hopefully that will help you :slight_smile:

1 Like

@angela-6 From what I understand, it’s better to use SoundCloud in a browser rather than the app for uploading. You record your voice using either the simple Voice Recorder software that comes with most devices or a simple voice recording programme that you can get from the App/Play Store, then you upload it to SoundCloud - either by selecting ‘upload to SoundCloud’ within your voice recorder if it offers that option (some do, some don’t) or by going into SoundCloud in your browser, selecting ‘Upload’ and finding the voice file you recorded.

Once you’ve done that, you can select ‘Share’ in SoundCloud, and it will give you the link you need to paste into the forum.

2 Likes

I’ve done it! Wasn’t so bad in the end ! Diolch!

1 Like

Thanks @Deborah-SSi

Hi
I am now on week 16 of my SSIW journey. Part of my task this week was to install and record on the soundcloud app. I have a samsung phone and have downloaded and signed in to the app.
However the screen does not look like the guides, all I have at the top is the word Home.

I have found by clicking on the button at the bottom “more” that I can record. I have recorded my one word. It then gives me an option to be public or private, I have tried both. Then the option to “tap to post your recording”, it then says it has uploaded but I have no idea where it has gone!

I have no idea how to find it, and am unsure if I shouted be sharing it with the SSIW group.

Any answers/help welcome.

Thanks
Nic

Hi @nicola-denman-hotmai,

I’ve just replied to you by email, and hopefully that will help. You don’t need to post anything from SoundCloud until you get to the task which asks you to record and post your sentences. Then you will be asked to put them in The '5 Minutes' Test - recordings

Dee

1 Like

I do not see an option to upload on the soundcloud app on my iPhone… there is no top black bar as you show on your screenshot… where am I going wrong please

Helo Kate!

Please try the tips in this thread to see if you can get sorted:

Thanks for replying - but on my phone there is no “upload “ button.

I would show you a screenshot of my page but I don’t know how to do that either ! I feel useless!!

Hi Kate,

I have an iPhone, with SoundCloud but used a PC for my recording…(I went through the SSIW lessons before the newer courses came along where the recordings play a bigger role - so I have only used it once or twice)

However there is a short video which shows how you can record on an iPhone here

If you want to take a screenshot, press and hold the stand-by button on the side of your phone and press the dimple at the same time. This creates a photo of the screen just as if you’d taken a picture with your camera.

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope you get sorted. But in case not, you’re welcome to say your sentences etc to me over the phone or on Slack/Skype as an alternative. We want to make sure everyone can earn their badges even if the technology won’t cooperate!

2 Likes

Thanks Rich for your reply… I have somehow managed to muddle through and do a recording this afternoon - it was by no means easy tho! And I now feel quite proud to have learnt something else as well as welsh! I had to go to desktop display and also record the piece separately before uploading it to soundcloud! Anyway - I have now done it. Thanks again for your help and email… also - I ca. Do screenshot but am unsure how to include into these messages! Haha - that can be a lesson for another day ! Thanks again Kate

2 Likes

Oh well done Kate …you get extra points for perseverance!

To include a photo: when you are typing a reply or post there is a row of formatting type things along the top of the box you type into.

There is one in the middle with an upwards arrow - which allows you to upload. Pressing this gives you the choice of choosing an existing image from your phone - you can also take a photo. See below.,.

Rich :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s just tech!
Diolch i helpu, @rich Thanks for helping.

I am trying to set up Soundcloud to record for week 16 task.I have got as far as the upload screen and set the privacy setting. How do I record from there?
Moderator edit: You may find this thread of use. :slight_smile:

I too am having trouble with soundcloud recording.
Once in i am taken to a page which offers me all sorts of music options and when i go to a page which has an option to record, i can record a word but when i try to upload it, an upload failed message appears. None of the pages look like your image. I also can’t find audiocopy in the apps store which has been recommended.

The way to record, upload to SoundCloud, and post to the forum varies depending on the device and operating system you’re using. Below are the basic steps that you need to work through to record the sentences for the 5-minutes test, but if you have specific difficulties you want to ask about, it’s a good idea to include information on whether you’re trying to use the SoundCloud app, and whether it’s on a phone, a tablet, or a PC. I hope this helps demystify the process a little:

1. create a SoundCloud account

2. use some simple voice recording software to record your sentences - the ones you created to say within 5 minutes. Most devices have some kind of built-in voice recorder, but if not, there are lots of basic free ones you can download.

3. Upload your voice file to SoundCloud. Some voice recorders have a "Share to SoundCloud" option and you can use that; otherwise, go into your SoundCloud account, find "Upload", and point that at your voice file.

4. Within SoundCloud, find the "Share" option, which will give you a link to copy. Copy that and paste it into https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/the-5-minutes-test-recordings/1052

1 Like

Hi, how do you set the soundcloud to private please? I have clicked on options and can’t find private. Many thanks Jeanette

Hi, I just recorded myself speaking Welsh and noticed the private button came up afterwards. So all okay now thanks.

1 Like