My challenges

I’m so proud of you @tatjana! That mixture of terror and excitement, and it all worked out! That’s a bit like boot camp. :smiley:

4 Likes

Thank you.

Yes. And I’ve spoken in public since all my 5 workers present at tieme coudl hear me. :slight_smile:

I have to admit it’s about 32 °C here today but before I decided to call I felt like it would be around 50. :slight_smile:

Yes, I could say so except that I was allowed to resort to English when really needed. I didn’t want to mess up with important data though. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Before I return to Challenge Number 14 (yes I’ve written something (behind the time) again) here was one more challenge for me last week the very next day after calling Menter Caerdydd.

So Challenge Number 16 was emailing Eisteddfod

Eisteddfod added Slovenia to the list of countries so I could register and buy the tickets, but before doing that I had to make them aware my country is missing there. So (shame on me) I’ve started writing the e-mail yn Saesneg BUT it just didn’t seam right so I’ve re-written it yn Cymraeg and deleted Saesneg one. The mail was ready to send and pressing the button I did it so not thinking too much about is it everything in accordance to really formal Cymraeg. I was obviously understandable and compelling enough they just added my little country onto theh list and enabled me to buy tickets online.

And then came Challenge Number 17 - buying tickets all yn Cymraeg

Obviously it’s way easier if you see some things infront of you then listening to them so I didn’t hesitate to put all my data having Cymraeg form infront of me. Obviously I was successful since the payment was successfully done and i didn’t end up ordering 10 tickets for the same day. - haha! Will they wait for me at the gates? Hopefully they will since I’ve written yn Cymraeg that in my comment along with order submission too. Crossing fingers it will all be like imagined though.

So one of the next challenges surely will be attending Eisteddfod. From another topic I already can see there will be quite nice group of us - SSiWers meeting on Wednesday August 3rd. If you intend to be there too at around 3 pm then check up the Any SSIW meetup at the National Eisteddfod 2016? topic and tell us you’ll be there. :slight_smile:

And now back to Challenge 14.

What it was already? Yes, writing blog entries for the whole month as pre-Bootcamp challenge however this doesn’t go too well. I’m behind the schedule for many reasons so here we go with only 6th entry so far.

Cyn Bwtcamp un mis her - dydd 6 - Poeth mewn Slofenia … ond mewn Cymru .

The title says it all I believe. You know there’s very hot in Summer here where I live most of the time and I found just unbelievable there’s not so hot in Wales (or elswhere up there North for that matter). I literally have to “switch” my head to the new way of thinking and start to think what to take with me on a bootcamp.

Well, I won’t spoil the whole reading so this is all I’ll say. Hope you’ll enjoy reading this not very long entry though.

Up next … something about one of the most legendary games since Summer Games Done Quick ended last week and they’ve raised over $1,000,000.00 for Doctors Without Borders with also playing this particular game I’ll write about It’s not about Cymru ac Cymraeg but it’s for the good cause and what I’m interested in also. … Stay tunned. :slight_smile:

Well, can’t help myself but this is part of me to. That’s who I am and intend to be. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Tatjana, it is SO nice to see how confident and unafraid you are to jump in with your Welsh as you prepare for this trip. You have come so very far since I first “met” you on this forum about a year ago. I can only imagine what you will be like after your trip to Cymru and bwtcamp - there will be no stopping you, I am sure! :slight_smile:

I am enjoying reading your blog posts, and I look forward to hearing all about your trip! Maybe when you get back we can have a Skype chat - we said a long time ago that someday we would do that. I think someday might be here :slight_smile:

P.S. It has been very hot here, too - we have had many days recently above 32C, and one day this week was 37C. I don’t think I like the heat as much as you do, though!

1 Like

Thank you @AnnaC. If not the other thing then I’m surely less annoying to all of you here and to myself also. I never imagined I’d come this far and even less I’d ever be able to go to bootcamp but the things went their own (great) way and so here I am just a week and approx 1500 (or so) chilometres away from the bootcamp.

I believe it’s vital to use my Cymraeg wherever I can even now not at the bootcamp yet. My vocabulary is quite limited though and I still need my friends - Geriaduriau ac Google Translate - to provide me with worda although sometimes I only need spell checking nothing more. Listening skills are also a bit uncertain though but I am sure they will improve during and after bootcamp.

Well, I had no particular problems with calling Menter Caerdydd which I actually didn’t quite imagine it will be so (what is actually good) but I somehow believe writing is still a bit easier as you can check on verious things before publishing something and you can take time especially if it’s writing for your own soul and test and not some exams matter or so. So these written things can be a bit misleading. I also have no particular problems with speaking with any of those of you here to whom I’ve spoken however we’re all learners and tend to adapt to each other, using material (most of it) from the lessons, courses etc … So (possible) talking to people at Eisteddfod or bwtcamp or somewhere else would be the real and prooving test of my speaking, listening and understanding skills. So far so good, I’d say. Let’s see what comes next. Do I give false impression of improvement or this is all real and worthy saying I’ve done (at least) well. :slight_smile:

Thank you for enjoying my blog entires. I tend to keep them comming. I’ll write them (if it will be possible) through bwtcamp also but I’ll probably publish them after that. Happenings of the day are leading me into the theme of article of the day, that’s why I know already what the next entry would be about and I might do that writing even today.

I’ll be glad to finally chat with you on Skype. I bet you’ve improved enormously also so this will be really interesting “meeting”. Yes, the time just might be here. :slight_smile:

We now have quite low temperatures for this time of the year and the sea is about 15 degrees despite it should be around 27 to 29 at this time of the year but they say hot days are back again beginning tomorrow. I hardly wait. I feel more free if there’s warm enough. However 37 degrees is too hot even for me especially if I’m at work what means in (for slovenian circumstances) big city. Me living in rural areas of north(ern) Slovenia it’s immediately more pleasant environment even if it’s hot as 37 degrees or so. :slight_smile:

Diolch i ti Anna un waith mwy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, now I’ve gathered my thoughts enough to start comming to normal way of living and thinking again and of course to a bit describe the challenge of all challenges regarding learning languages in my life:

Challenge Number 18 - BWTCAMP!

I’ve written quite some things in the topics like Cymru - I’m coming! (and a bit of help please), Any SSIW meetup at the National Eisteddfod 2016? and 2016 Tresaith Bootcamp July 23-30 and maybe some more (I’m not sure anymore) and I pondered my thoughts where to sum up all and as it was challenge in deed I decided to do it here. So … here we go:

Once upon a time there was a dream which one little, hardbeating perfectionist never thought it can come true. But one day she just realized it is possible to make those dreams true. It was some wonder and magic obviously which has put all happenings together in just right order and on just right place so … little hard perfectionist happened to get on track to make her big dreams come true. Planning all month, counting money and future happenings which could enable or bury the dreams, following timetibles of the planes, busses, events … buying all sorts of tickets … that was the life of that hard perfectionist that month before bwtcamp and then … all of a sudden, after all planning, buying, counting, ordering tickets (yn Cymraeg aswell) she finds herself sitting on the plane to London Stansted, where her adventure begins … With big help of @margaretnock and her parents she arrived to London and was brought to the bwtcamp the next day. Did she had any imagination how it all will look like? No, she didn’t! She didn’t have the slidest idea about what is waiting for her and who she’ll really meet there … and the challenge began …

From the first to the last day of bwtcamp and even after it that hard little perfectionist has spoken Cymraeg trying hard to use every single bit of her knowledge she gained during the learning process through the lessons, skyping and what’s more to it. No, she admits she used some (tiny) bit of Saesneg and fortunately wasn’t punished with swimming in (for her way too cold) sea - haha! But before using that tiny bit of Saesneg she has put effort into searching her memory to tell things in Cymraeg, that’s what I can tell.

There was walking, singing, laughing, epic Noson Lawen, going to the tafarn … all involving Cymraeg. The most pleasant thing was people being happy and even eager to speak Cymraeg with bwtcampers and whenever/wherever she said she’s from Slovenia, people were surprised or even amazed. Some knew where her little country is and some did not so explaining where she comes from was quite a challenge also. She was never nervous and always eager to speak except for that BBC interview in the (too) early morning but even that she’d probably do if explicitely wanted.

Siarad Cymraeg, wherever they come, wherever they go … allover … again and again and again. and the week of challenges was over too fast. Now that she knows how it all goes, she’d probably want to do some things differently, better but all in all she’s (FINALLY) satisfied with what she acheaved.

Meeting new firends and put forum names to the faces was the most pleasant thing. And it was pleasure and honour meeting @Iestyn, @anon86454181 and their two girls.

She still has all that singing in her ears hoping she’d one day be able to sing all those songs too (without looking into the text and moaning since she hardly could read it. :slight_smile: )

And when bwtcamp was over she still wanted to do more. She still wanted challenges and just couldn’t switch back to Saesneg any more. Taking some SSiW cards from the table at Bwtcamp she hoped she’d meet some people who’d be eager to learn Cymraeg and would this for accept a card gladly.

Cardiff was her place to stay and the plans went further into visiting Eisteddfod and some other things whrth to see. Eisteddfod, Cardiff bus tour and St. Fagans were the destinations and already the first evening staying in Cardiff she gave first two cards, one to her host (I hope she’ll sign up on this forum too) and one to lovely Brasilian lady who happened to learn Cymraeg also.

And then it came Eisteddfod. Not knowing much where to go first, she, proudly wearing her SSiW T-Shirt, just strolled around watching happenings, listening to some music and buying some occassional things and met 5 SSiWers and one celebrity already the first day of her visit to Eisteddfod. She spoke Cymraeg wherever she went not even thinking there are people who maybe can’t speak the language although there were some of them who spoke only Saesneg. The second visit to Eisteddfod was the big SSiW gathering where there were quite a lot of SSiWers. She spoke Cymraeg again and she had pleasure to meet some already known people and many new ones. She was happy and honoured to meet @aran, @CatrinLliarJones and their two kids for the first time ever aswell Ooo, yes, the SSiW T-Shirt was worn proudly again and her famous hat made by @margaretnock was put on as promissed when big gathering has begun.

In Cardiff she visited famous Y Mochyn Du several times but was a bit surprised and disappointed not all staff there is speaking Cymraeg. But it became her favourite place to be at the evenings when comming back from Eisteddfod both times. Lots of Cymraeg one can hear there and this just pleased her ears, sipping her beer and listening people talking.

And in Cardiff she met one of her FB friends who’s native Cymraeg speaker. Talking about two hours yn Cymraeg was both, a challenge and a pleasure in deed.

Going back home after all these adventures, comming to London, she just couldn’t switch back to Saesneg and this for one lady kindly (a bit angerly though) allerted her there only English is spoken. “Yes, I know, but I just can’t switch to it yet.” was her reply smiling and she’s got her BIG COFFEE as ordered. :slight_smile:

Now she is home safely spending another week of her holidays to be with her two best men - husband and son but her soul still is wandering there somewhere in Cymru. It was challenging, unforgetable visit to Cymru which might never happen in her life again but the life will never be the same again. Mae hi’n siarad Cymraeg nawr ac mae hi’n awyddus i wella … and all this thanks to you all who encouraged me to go on, stood with me when I anobeithio’n llwyr and even pwdu many times and thanks to the staff of SSiW who, with this magnificent course, made all this possible because if there wouldn’t be SSiW I surely wouldn’t learn Cymraeg and this for would not be able to go to such great, challenging, happy and funny event as bwtcamp is.

Well, now … She’s not in any shape ready to go for Dysgwr y flwydyn but bwtcamp made a huge difference to her, making her eager to learn more, not only to speak, but to learn more vocabulary, to be able to write and read properly and … most of all … to sing!

Will next her challenge be of some singing? Maybe who knows.

(She didn’t cry when she sang, by the way. :slight_smile: )

Diolch o galon i bawb. Dw i’n hapus iawn!

DIOLCH

9 Likes

:star: :star2: :fireworks:

2 Likes

I’m preparing for the next challenge and I need to know one thing: Is there any online (or maybe book aswell) Geiriadur which is specialized to computering and software (graphic software in particular)? Or is GPC or Ap Geiriaduron perfect enough?

Thank you.

Thank you @HowlsedhesServices. This will come to great use. :slight_smile:

Challenge Number 19 - Cerdd

Rain pured down the other day and I felt like writing this poem, more like game with words … Those who were with me on July’s Bootcamp know I always said that there beer is raining and not rain so here’s the reflection to that …

Cerdd tua glaw ac cwrw

Bwrw glaw
neu glaw yn bwrw.
Bwrw glaw
neu bwrw cwrw.
Mae llawer o pethe yn bwrw
ond does ddim cwrw.

No gramar rules taken into considderation - it’s poem anyway. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There was not much said in My challenges for quite a long time and, I know, my challenges are rather silly then sirious ones but here’s another one which is actually a bit similar to previous one but at the same time all different as it has different aim. This time it was made with the aim to get more involved in Welsh practice as you know all very well I have nowhere to use the language in the wild so I made myself a task which includes writing something in Welsh and visiting @Clecs at the same time. So here it is …

Challenge Number 20 - Saying Goodnight on Clecs with the picture and good thought every night

Three days in a row now I’m posting one of the picture I’ve created whatever way - photography, digital painting or any other digital creation - with someohw inspired good night wishes or even more - all in Cymraeg of course. That’s why I’ve set to do so on Clecs as there only Cymraeg is allowed so I’d be forced to compose something in nothig but Cymraeg. Yesterday I’ve posted one of my digital combined creations with a little poem (naaa, not even close to good but anyway) of light and hope. Here it is:

I know, I know … I forgot mutations … oh, oh …

4 Likes

That’s very beautiful @tatjana. My challenge is to write something on my blog in Welsh, ( it’s all in Welsh) before putting anything up on FB. At least for the trip. And not just the same thing, but something it’s worth going over to the blog to see.

2 Likes

Thank you @margaretnock. I’m following your blog reading quite some things (not read all yet I have to admit) and you’re doing very well! There are maybe things I don’t quite understand (yet) but I rather pick all from the context then taking dictionary in my hand and read word by word.

When I’m writing my (so called) poems, I start yn Gymraeg from scratch thinking what I want to write and then go for words I know. I don’t translate neither from Slovene nor from English. I think (at least I’m trying) Welsh and do the thing.

Obviously we both are doing just great for now. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t on the FB or blog today much so I only hope your journey goes well so far.

Pob lwc a hwyl!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

This is nothing to do with your challenges, but I didn’t want to start a new thread for a one-off event! Currently the BBC are sponsoring schools to report on local news. These are from all over UK although not near where I live! However, there is an International category, only about four on it. One is The International School Ljubljana! They ought to be on iPlayer! There may be mention on you media too! So far, I get an empty page and promise of content later! This BBC School Report is a regular event!

O, thanks. Do you have any link to that page? I’ll check regularly if there’s one or should I just type Schools report and then International?

I hope that will work! Else, just look for BBC School Report Ljubljana

Aha, Now I know where this is aiming. They just want to have reports from British schools abroad and (as far as I could read and know) this one in Ljubljana behaves prety “isolated” from ordinary slovenian activities. I believe this school attend only kids of (mostly) diplomats and higher society and they might also have totally different teaching/learning plan from national education plan we have. Most ordinary people living in Slovenia comming from abroad put their kids into schools in the area they’re living in, what means Slovenian schools. However a lot of our kids in primary school speak English almost better then their own mom iaith …

Actually I was hoping I’d hear there’s kind of Welsh “class” in this school, but if I refer to British Council where I once asked about some Welsh language resources in Sloenia or if they can provide me some, they don’t have much connection with anything but English unfortunately. Even Irish is neglected I have a feeling.

But … I can very well (and that’s 90 % sure I am) be wrong. Let’s wait and see what this site provides in the future.

Diolch yn fawr iawn.

It appears sick-leave has some good side effects for learning Welsh though so I was listening to some Radio Cymru again and yes, I wouldn’t be me if I wouldn’t tweet but this time I was not even aware something would happen as I wasn’t sure if I’m listening to live program on TuneIn app at all but it happened.

Challenge Number 21 - Amarfer in the wild

Aled Hugher was the one who “picked” the post to Radio Cymru this time as it was his show and mentioned me several times in the show. Not to repeat myself, it’s all here:

And this resulted into another little twitter thingy. Hearing on the Radio Cymru (In the Aled Hughes show again) about app Sain Fagans developed and gave on the market I just had to ask some things (it is in my nature to put questions obviously) and so the little twit-chat began. I was answered by Aled Hughes and Sara Huws from Sain Fagans. We tweeted about the app and little about the “interactive” facility they started to build last year which was delightful and chalenging both at the time as there were some words I didn’t know. Thakfully it was written chat what means I could look up words and check my spelling before replying.

So, tweeting again today made me realize I’m tweeting in Welsh these days a lot and it makes me feel like I actually am some kind of improving after all.

Next challenge … who knows what it would be … :slight_smile:

Oh, and by the way: You can read all about the “Traces Olion” app here

1 Like

Do you remember me writing this in the last post of this topic approximately 4 and a half months ago? Many things have happened until now but there was actually no particular challenge until now. Writing on twitter, Facebook or Clecs seams more or less normal to me now, talking (as much as I can in given circumstances) too so they’re not particular challenges now anymore.

However, you might remember I once said this:

A challenge … next time I’ll be in Postojna cave’s Concert hall, with someone from Cymru or alone, Ill sing the antheme properly and I’ll make someone record it for you all! It has to be heard there echoing across the largest and most acustic hall of the cave system. smile Agree?

in the A visit from Cymru topic. So, here it is

Challenge Number 22 - Singing in the Concert Hall of Postojna Cave

We visited Postojna cave yesterday and of course I had to fulfill my promise given to you in April last year. I promissed to sing Welsh Anthem, I know but instead of singing it I rather decided to sing Calon Lân. I knew the words of the first verse and the refrain once already but I somehow forgot some words to sing them properly so I had to re-gain my knowledge. I did some practice in half an hour before we departed for the cave however the circumstances were not going in our aid so not properly working camera, a bit darker hall as it was last time when we visitd Cave with @margaretnock and lack of practice made me a bit of nervous so what you’ll actually hear is havy dripping of the water from the cave’s ceiling and me singing just a refrain. However to hear what acustic this cave named Concert Hall of the Postojna cave system has, it will be just enough.

The singing was more or less public as I’ve stood in the middle of the cave singing so everyone who passed me could hear me. I’m just sorry there was too dark so you can’t see anything but just hear me. Who was the real witness of my singing I won’t tell yet. I can only say it was one of SSiW members… You will get the insights in next days from this member for sure but I’m leaving you in wonderings who this might be … :slight_smile:

So, here it is, ladies and gentlemen - my humble atempt of singing in the Postojna Cave System’s Concert Hall. (I know I did at least two mistakes though but due to me being a bit nervous I hope you can excuse me for that.)

Enjoy!

And yes … As challenge was not fulfilled entirely I give myself another one which is to sing and record Calon lân in whole … not in Postojna cave this time though. Fair enough? :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Chware teg, @tatjana :clap:
Today the Postojna cave - tomorrow Neuadd Dewi Sant. :smile:

2 Likes