Oxford SSiW - additional meetups?

Hello Karin - well, as luck would have it, I’ve just heard back from Richard who says a meetup next week on Thursday works better for him. If that day still suits you, let’s go for Thursday, then.
Hwyl, John

1 Like

It looks now as if our earlier suggestion of a walk+sgwrs for 1 October is not going to work out - time therefore to start thinking about possible alternative dates. Let me know if you’d like to suggest another date, preferably on a weekend but no reason why it couldn’t be on a weekday if there are two or three people who can make it.

For anyone new to this thread, usually once a month we try to have a ramble and we’ve found this to be an excellent opportunity to practise Welsh - there are plenty of things to talk about on the way and if there’s a gap in the conversation as we walk it doesn’t feel as awkward as perhaps it might do when seated round a table, so do join us if you can.

Usually the walks have been 5 or 6 miles - sometimes shorter, sometimes longer - and stopping en route at a pub or cafe. In the past we’ve walked along the Thames and the Oxford canal, around Port Meadow, Wytham Wood, Shotover Forest and Wychwood and along the Ridgeway, also around Oxford Botanic Garden and the University Parks (I may have missed some!). Starting points vary but, if not in Oxford itself, preferably easily accessible by public transport (we’ve started out from Charlbury, Tackley, Kingham and Goring & Streatley stations in the past) - if not, it may be possible to arrange a lift from Oxford. So do let me know, if you have any ideas for where we might go for our next crwydro+sgwrs, either somewhere new or somewhere where we’ve been already - all suggestions welcome!

2 Likes

It’s been a while now since our last walk+sgwrs so we’re arranging another for Saturday 10th December.

Starting from Oxford Railway Sta. at midday, we’ll be following the Thames upstream and then walking back along the Oxford Canal. It’ll be about 4-6 miles but around halfway, if wished, there’ll be the opportunity to catch a bus back and/or stop off at a pub. The 6-30 day weather forecast suggests that it’s likely to be dry on the day, albeit somewhat on the cold side.

As usual all are welcome, so do join us if you can make it (best to let us know beforehand if you’re thinking of coming so we can look out for you - we’ll be meeting by the statue of the bull by the side of the Said Business School building and directly opposite the main entrance to the station)
Hwyl fawr, John

1 Like

Hello Karin - In case you might be interested, next Saturday, 10th Dec, we’re planning a crwydro+sgwrs, i.e. a chance to practice speaking Cymraeg while walking in pleasant surroundings, on this occasion upstream along the Thames and returning via the Oxford Canal towpath. It’ll be 4-6 miles in total, starting at midday from Oxford Rail Station; there’ll also be the option, should anyone wish, of making it a shorter walk by taking a bus back from Wolvercote. Let me know if you’d like to join us or have any questions.

Next Thursday, 8th Dec, by the way is likely to be the last Jericho Cafe meetup before Christmas
Hwyl,John

2 Likes

A quick reminder about our walk+sgwrs starting midday tomorrow, Sat 10th Dec - meetup by the bull statue opp. Oxford Station entrance (see post 10 days ago for more details).

1 Like

Blwyddyn newydd dda a dymuniadau gorau i bawb dros 2017!

Time now to think about planning this month’s crwydro+sgwrs. Starting at midday on Saturdays seems to work best for most, and we have the choice of Saturday 7th, 14th, 21st or 28th, so please do let me know which date(s) might suit (alternative suggestions for a Sunday or a weekday also welcome) - also any suggestions for where we might go this time. And, as always, new faces are very welcome.

For newcomers, these circular walks usually turn out to be 5 to 6 miles starting from Oxford itself or from another location, preferably accessible by public transport (if not, it might be possible to arrange a lift from Oxford). Previously we’ve been as far afield as Kingham, Tackley and Goring-on-Thames and setting out from Oxford we’ve been to Wytham Wood, Port Meadow, followed the Thames Path and Oxford Canal, and to Shotover Country Park.
Hwyl, John
PS If anyone would like to get in early with a suggested date for February’s walk please go ahead!

1 Like

As January is almost over now, our next crwrydro+sgwrs is going to be in February. I’m going to suggest Sat 25th Feb as the provisional date but I’m open to alternative suggestions if another date works better for people. The previous posting should give an idea of what the walks are like - if you have any suggestions for where we could go, new or old, do let me know. Likewise, do get in touch if you have any questions
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Here are one or two suggestions as to where we might go for our crwydro+sgwrs on Sat 25th Feb:

• around Oxford itself

• from Oxford to Port Meadow & the Oxford Canal

• Wytham Wood (famous woodland ecology: https://twitter.com/WythamWoods1 )

• Charlbury and former hunting forest of Wychwood (on Cotswold line), to Tackley and the canal (on Banbury line)

• Goring & Streatley and the Ridgeway (on main line to Didcot)

More suggestions always welcome!

Also on Sat 25th is Oxford Welsh Male Voice Choir’s Dydd Dewi Sant/St David’s day concert at 7.30pm in the University Church (£12 including wine & Welsh cakes: http://www.oxfordwelshmvc.org.uk). It might be difficult to fit in both walk and concert on the same day, but if there are two or three people who would prefer to go to the concert instead of the walk perhaps, as in the previous 2 years, a meetup before the concert could be arranged as an opportunity to practise a bit of Cymraeg.

If it turns out that people would like to join the walk and a pre-concert meetup, maybe we could postpone the walk to the following or later weekend? Let’s have your comments and suggestions!
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

I would not be able to stay for the evening event.
So to avoid a clash of interests, i’m more than happy if the afternoon walk is postponed to the first Saturday of March.
If there are some new people who would like a gentle walk to start with,
maybe we could head south on the Thames to iffley lock and back, (just an idea).

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

It doesn’t look as if people are going to be able to make it for the walk on Sat 25th Feb so let’s take up @ramblingjohn 's suggestion of postponing to Sat 4th March - a walk to Iffley Lock would be very pleasant too, so let’s add that to the list above and see what appeals most to people.
Hwyl fawr, John

1 Like

A quick memory jog that there’s a walk+sgwrs scheduled for this Saturday 4th March. The route is still to be finalised but provisionally I suggest that we meet outside Oxford Station by the bull statue (opposite station steps) at midday and take the route suggested by @ramblingjohn south along the Thames to Iffley Lock and back - if people would prefer to take another route, though, it’s not to late to change it.
Let me know if you think you’d like to join us.
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

A last minute reminder about tomorrow’s (Sat 4th March) walk+sgwrs - meet up by the bull statue opp. Oxford Station steps at midday. At the moment the weather forecast for tomorrow is quite reasonable (light cloud with only a 10% chance of rain) so do join us if you can.
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

After yesterday’s walk+sgwrs, time now to think about possible dates for next month’s walk. Both Sat 8th April and Sat 15th April seem to be good possibilities. Do let me know if you think you can join which date(s) work for you - we can decide later on a route which suits best those who can make it and, as always, all welcome

As for yesterday, we had a good day’s walk in fine weather along the Thames (Afon Tafwys) to Islip Lock and around the water meadow (llifddol) nature reserve (gwarchodfa natur) close by. Unexpectedly (and unusually!) the towpath was crowded with people as we discovered the day we’d chosen coincided with Oxford University’s Torpids rowing races accompanied by cannon fire (no boats were sunk!)(see https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/whats-outside/971/2294) - the rules however remain a mystery…
Hwyl, John

1 Like

For any who might have missedi it, there’s a new thread now for the Oxford SSiW walks+sgwrs: https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/oxford-walks/7540.
This should allow this ‘additional meetups’ thread to provide a space for anyone to make suggestions for, and to discuss, all sorts of other activities, e.g. concerts, talks, games, visits to museums, etc etc. All and any suggestions welcome, so let’s have your ideas!
Hwyl, John

1 Like

I am thinking of coming to Oxford for the weekend of Saturday 22nd April. I know you have a walk and sgwrs organised for the previous weekend, but wondered if there might be a anything going on a week later, or anyone willing to meet up for a chat?

My son is coming to Oxford to see Electric 6 with friends and I thought I could take the opportunity to visit a couple of museums and see the sights. I used to visit Oxford quite frequently when I was at work, but haven’t been for a good few years now. When I was there for work I didn’t have time to wander around.

Now, I just need a good (Welsh) excuse!

1 Like

Hello Helen - I’m afraid we don’t have anything planned for that weekend - I’d have been happy to meet up for a chat but I’m going to be out of Oxford and I think @ramblingjohn is also otherwise occupied from what he was saying previously. Hopefully though one of the others might be able to make it?
Failing that one ‘good Welsh excuse’ might be to see if you can get to see the Red Book of Hergest in the Bodleian Library or maybe a visit to Jesus College (the ‘Welsh College’)?
Anyway, hope you enjoy your visit. Hwyl, John

2 Likes

It would have been soooooooo nice to meet with you Helen but unfortunately i am away that weekend, do come again.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Another quick reminder about our Easter Saturday walk+sgwrs - see https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/oxford-walks/7540/7 for details
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Quick memory jog that from now on news and details of walks will be on the Oxford walks thread, leaving this thread free for news of other events
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Not a meetup, but if anyone’s interested there’s a guided walk on Sunday (14th May) starting at Oxford Castle to mark International Dylan Thomas Day (see this posting: https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/international-dylan-thomas-day-may-14th-2017/8182) - it seems you’ll have to be quick though as only a couple of places were left this a.m.
Hwyl, John

1 Like