Oxford walks

There’s an outside chance I’ll be in Oxford on Sat 28 Dec, but otherwise I think I’ll wait till January to resume walking.

1 Like

Linda (who’s not on the forum) is interested in a walk between Christmas and New Year, so maybe we can pencil in Sat 28 Dec and see how we go :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Unfortunately I won’t be able to make this but I hope to come on January walk. Bethan

1 Like

Sat 28 Dec pencilled in subject to weather. It would be nice to see Linda again.
Sue

1 Like

Just to add that partners and plantos will be welcome too on our walk on the 28th, although they’ll need to expect that there’ll be some sgwrs Cymraeg going on. :slightly_smiling_face:
I’ll be suggesting a couple of possible routes a bit nearer the day, by the way, depending on who can make it and conditions under foot
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Well, the weather forecast for our walk on Sat 28th is thankfully for it to be dry, albeit dull.
For many potential routes mud and surface water is going to be a problem, but I think there are still a couple of possibilities:

• Wytham Wood, meeting up at Port Meadow car park and heading from there to Wytham via the road - there are buses from central Oxford to Wytham from which it’s a short walk to the car park (I’ll do a reccie the day before just to make sure that the road and car park are not under water! :slightly_smiling_face:)
  • A circular walk around some of the green spaces in the city - Christchurch Meadow, University Parks, the canal towpath, and meeting up at the Rail Station

Let me know if you’ve a preference for one rouite or the other :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

1 Like

My preference would be for the circular walk round the city. I walked part of this with the Banbury Ramblers last Saturday and it was mostly passable, though Mesopotamia was closed and so was the path round the pond in the University parks.

Are we meeting at midday? I can’t remember.

Hwyl,
Sue

1 Like

Yes, that’s right, at midday - Linda prefers the city walk as well, so we’ll settle for that and meet up by the bull statue opposite the station steps at 12 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Enjoy yourselves! Frustratingly, although I am around on Saturday, I’m feeling under the weather. Here’s to more walks in 2020.

1 Like

Bad luck, Owen - hope you’re feeling better soon!

1 Like

The weather’s something of a lottery at the moment, but I’m going to suggest the coming weekend, Saturday 11th Jan, for our January walk (alternatively, Sunday 12th if that suits people better). Do let me know if you think you might be interested. :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John
PS I’ll suggest a route later in the week when hopefully :roll_eyes: we might have a better idea of likely conditions underfoot, :walking_man:or :swimming_man:

Well, seems this weekend doesn’t really work for anyone, so let’s postpone this month’s walk to the following weekend Sat 18th/Sun 19th and see how we go :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

1 Like

I’d be interested in a walk this weekend, as long as it’s not too long !! Sunday 19th would suit me best but I could also manage Saturday afternoon if that fits in better with other people’s plans. Hwyl Bethan

1 Like

Tentative yes to Sunday afternoon on the 19th.

2 Likes

Just to confirm that our walk will be on Sunday 19th - the weather forecast is quite prominsing at the moment too. I’ll post a message about the route tomorrow :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

1 Like

If others preferred route is Wytham wood I will give it a try! I just don’t want to hold others up if I’m a bit slow! Bethan

1 Like

Diolch, Bethan - it turns out though that Wytham Woods is closed this weekend “for essential maintenance” :roll_eyes:
The other options I’ve been thinking of are Kirtlington/Bletchingdon or Bernwood Forest. Cat wouldn’t be able to make it on Sunday so, being her home patch, better to leave that until a time she can join us. Hopefully the going won’t be too bad in Bernwood Forest with its sandy soil (if I remember correctly! Do you recall @RichardBuck?). Alternatively we could repeat our previous walk around Christchurch Meadow/University Parks/Oxford Canal which at least we know is passable (down the canal towpath and back is another option, but that tends to be busy at weekends and being for the most part only wide enough for two persons can make having a sgwrs awkward).
Should we choose Bernwood here’s a map showing the location:
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Well, this in the end is what we’ve decided to do so, as before, we’ll meet up at 12:00 on Sunday by the bull statue opposite the railway station steps - see you there!
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Looking forward to our walk tomorrow! Bethan

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr John, Owen ac Alan am eich cwmni hyfryd a sgwrs ddiddorol prynhawn yma. It was also lovely to meet Charles and Marina from Belgium. Hope to see you again in Oxford before too long! Hwyl Bethan

3 Likes