Oxford walks

That’s great @RichardBuck - yes, 2-3 hours is about right, although usually nearer three than two. There’s a nature reserve in a former quarry en route which is likely to be of interest and that might take a bit longer
For lunch, we can decide together when we meet up - on previous occasions sometimes we’ve had a bite to eat in a cafe/pub before setting off or on the way, other times we’ve just made do with snacks we’ver brought with us.
By the way, if anyone thinks they might be arriving in Kirtlington a bit late if they PM me I’ll forward my mobile number
Hwyl, John

Cafe/Pub situation is not enthralling around here, I’m afraid. Two gastro pubs and the one in Bletchindon sadly has closed I believe. The village shop may make sandwiches though, I can check in case anyone would like that option. Otherwise I’m happy to bring something to eat along the way.

1 Like

A quick reminder about the walk this Saturday (details above). The forecast for the day’s pretty good - warm and not too hot, and dry, so do join us if you can - as always, all welcome!
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

It occurred to me after our conversation that ailwampio sounded rather like a loan-translation of “revamp” - I’ve just checked in the GPC & it bears me out :slight_smile:

ETA Tagging @cat-1 on this one, too.

1 Like

I think I’m going to have to gwampio stuff so I can ailwampio it later!:smile:

1 Like

WIth the summer holidays upon us it’s going to be difficult to arrange a walk in August, so the next walk will be in September (unless anyone’s up for a short notice walk next Sat 29 Jul - let me know if you are). So you can pencil in the date. I’m going to suggest Sat 23 Sept, but if you want to suggest alternatives please do
Hwyl , John

3 Likes

A quick reminder that this month’s walk will be in just over a week’s time on Sat 23rd Sept - full details to follow later but, with autumn on its way, I’m thinking it should be a good time to visit to Wytham Woods again. Let me know if you’d like to join us and if you’d like to make alternative suggestions for a route
Hwyl, John

3 Likes

The plan for Saturday’s circular walk (23 Sept) is to meet at 12 noon outside The Trout Inn in Wolvercote and walk from there across the fields to Wytham and on to Wytham Wood and back. The Port Meadow car park is only a short distance from The Trout and there are regular buses to Wolvercote from central Oxford. However… as yet no one’s said that they’re up for Saturday’s walk so do please let me know if you’re planning to come along otherwise it might be postponed. I’ll confirm one way or the other by Friday at the latest but do please let me know.If you have any queries or alternative suggestions
Hwyl, John

1 Like

I’m hoping to get there,
if any of your other attendees think a walk from the station to the trout along the Thames would be easier i’m happy with that as an alternative, what ever the majority are happy with is fine and i hope they can cope with my rusty utterances.

Cheers J.P.

Yes, absolutely! If people are happier with the Thames walk do please say!
Hwyl, John

1 Like

A quick reminder about tomorrow’s walk - it’s going to be dry and bright according to the forecast and at last count there should be at least three of us but the more the merrier so do join us if you can
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Hi J.W. are you still aiming to meet at the trout or station.

Cheers J.P.

Hi JP - the plan’s still to meet outside The Trout as no one’s opted for the easier walk from the station. At the moment it looks as if there’ll be three of us, with one more ‘possible’. See you there
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Sorry pawb, not to have made it heddiw. Dw i’n gobeithio gewch chi amser da! x

1 Like

On Saturday’s walk we talked about possibly having the occasional walk on a weekday rather than at the weekend. Let us know if you think you might be interested and we can set about trying to arrange something.
Hwyl, John

1 Like

I’m very happy to come walking in the week! Can we wedge it in between school drop offs and pick ups?

Yes, that would be the plan, with perhaps a 12 noon start or perhaps a bit earlier, but let’s see what timing fits in best with people

2 Likes

Hopped over here from the Oxford meet-ups thread … do people ever bring kids along on these walks (well, not on weekdays, obviously, but more generally)? My kids and I really enjoy walking and usually do some at the weekends, and combining it with some sgwrs cymraeg (as ever, apologies for my awful spelling) would be great, but the kids are likely to be a distraction from this partly because they usually moan for the first couple of miles, and partly because they do that in English :smiley: If there are other kids around then that’s probably fine. If not, and if anyone fancies a version of the walk with kids included, I’d be up for that … actually, I’m having a sense of deja vu about this, so we may have discussed it before.

Helo @rebecca - we haven’t had one so far, but a walk with kids is certainly a possibility - and maybe @cat-1 @RichardBuck would be interested in this too? There’s often been a mix of Welsh and English on our walks anyway, so it’s not necessarily a distraction if the English comes from the kids, and maybe some of the things they say could even spark more sgwrs cymraeg. I guess the thing to do is try it and see how it goes!
What do other people think? If you’d like to give it a go, any suggestions for dates and places?
Hwyl, John

1 Like

This would be great for us! The kids might even come away with a word or two of Welsh - who knows?

2 Likes