Oxford walks

Helo bawb a diolch i @ruth-connor (a Liam bach) a @chris-roberts for an enjoyable walk yesterday afternoon :sunny::sweat:(apart from the bit from the car park to the start of the Thames path, of course, which was a bit too busy for comfort, really).

Is anyone up for :walking_woman: another walk next weekend (24th or 25th):walking_man:? Should be a bit cooler by then In July’s Doodle poll @rachaelseculer-faber can make both days, @ruth-connor can make Saturday (& maybe @Betterlatethan), and @owen-mcknight Sunday - I had an email from Linda suggesting she probably wouldn’t be able to join us that weekend, aftter all. @heather-18 I’ll flag you, too, in case you’d like to join us?

Route suggestions welcome but a determining factor will be what transport people have available. All welcome, visitors to Oxford included! :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

PS While we’re about it we might as well consider a walk on Sat 31 July as well - @chris-roberts @ruth-connorand I have ticked that, and @bethan-williams-1 and @Betterlatethan are possibles.

PPS I’ve now set up this poll for August dates

1 Like

This week is shaping up to be busy for me so I might need a break by the weekend (or indeed it might be wise for me to avoid mixing) - please go ahead and arrange a walk without me and I’ll join you if I can!

1 Like

I’ll give it a miss on 24th - I’d like to wait a bit and see how things go after “freedom day” before leaving the village. I’ll think about 31st next week.
It’s a good thing that I didn’t come last Saturday. It was much too hot and I’m not sure if I would have made it to Wolvercote carpark, let alone any further.
Sue

1 Like

Unfortunately I have had pain in my left knee on walking which is worse over the last few days and I can’t walk very far at all. It’s a recurrent problem and I am hoping it will settle soon, however I m afraid I will have to miss the next few planned walks. Bethan

Sorry to hear that Bethan - hope it settles down quickly for you
John

1 Like

Hi John, re transport, I can get to anywhere accessible by bicycle or by non-crowded public transport (I think trains generally better than buses). I live near Oxford station

1 Like

@johnwilliams_6 I’ve been offered a work shift this weekend, and don’t have to take it but should reply soon, so it’d be helpful to know whether or not there’ll be a walk this weekend, and if so which day. No worries if not, as I am free next weekend too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Rachael - the weather forecast for this weekend’s looking pretty wet at the moment, so let’s make a decision not to have a walk this weekend and make it the following weekend instead (31st/1st) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your knee Bethan - I hope it improves soon.

1 Like

Thank you Chris Im sure it will improve soon. I think it’s worse because of the very hot weather!

Helo bawb - the weather forecast for Saturday (31st) is reasonable - possibility of light showers but bright with sunny intervals - so let’s settle on this Saturday for our next walk+sgwrs. More details to follow shortly
Hwyl, John

1 Like

For Saturday’s walk the route I’m suggesting starts and finishes at St Mary’s Church, Kidlington (see: cwkidlingtonpoi.pdf (377.1 KB) and cwkidlingtonmaps.pdf (426.7 KB) for details - meet up in the car park beyond the church at midday (could be a bit earlier if that works better for people). Hopefully it won’t be too far from the nearest bus stop for anyone coming by bus or planning to come by bike. Do please let me know if you’ve any questions.
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Looking at bus times, 11:30 or 12:30 would be better for me, please (the latter would be my slight preference).
(p.s. there is a note on the map saying “This walk can be waterlogged during the wetter seasons.
It is best undertaken following dry weather between May and September”… I hope today’s rain won’t cause too much of a problem!)

1 Like

I’ll need to ask Carol. We could get there for 11:30, or for 12:30 if we hang about in Oxford for longer. On the other hand, we have not been so far afield for the last 2 years, and she might prefer to stay local. My memory of the wood between Thrupp and Kidlington is that it can be very very muddy, and that the stinging nettles can encroach on the path. Last time I slipped over right into the nettles. At other times it can be very pleasant, so who knows? We have never ventured over the river to Hampton Poyle and Hampton Gay. I think we saw cows in the field and decided not to venture, but there is safety in numbers.
Sue

1 Like

Let’s make it 12.30 then - would that create problems for anyone thinking of joining us?

I’m hoping the ground won’t be a problem despite the rain I did a quick investigation yesterday of somewhere else that usually gets waterlogged in the winter but it seemed in quite good condition and it didn’t seem likely that today’s rain would make much difference, so I’m expecting the same applies to the Kidlington walk :crossed_fingers:

12:30 is good for me. Was planning to wear my walking boots anyway in case of mud, but hopefully it won’t be tooooo bad…

1 Like

Thanks re the timings :slight_smile:
Is anybody who’s walking tomorrow uncomfortable with dogs? I’m undecided on whether bringing him on a bus is a good idea, but checking with you so I know whether it’s an option. diolch

1 Like

Thanks for asking, Rachel. I’m happy with dogs but I don’t know about the others. Do you mind @Betterlatethan? @jane-b? @chris-roberts? or anyone else who might be comiing?

We might or might not turn up at the car park by 12:30. If not, then we have decided that it would be too much. Don’t wait! Have fun.
Sue

1 Like

OK, thanks, Sue - if you do decide come you might see Rachael :walking_woman::dog2: on the bus :bus: :slightly_smiling_face: