Oxford Welsh learners group

Lovely to see everyone in the sunshine today! I checked whether Canterbury has a different name in Welsh and it looks as if Richard’s supposition of Caergaint is correct, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_exonyms#United_Kingdom

2 Likes

Diolch Pawb am scwrs hyfryd yn yr haul yn Broad Meadow heddiw.

3 Likes

Helo bawb - Friday’s meet up in the open air in Broad Meadow (new temporary open space in Broad Street) worked very well and the weather forecast for this Friday is looking good, so let’s give it another try this week:

• 12:00 Tuesday 13th July / dydd Mawrth 13eg Gorffenaf (via Zoom - let me know if you need our login details :slightly_smiling_face: )
  • 12:00 Friday 16th July / dydd Gwener 16eg Gorffenaf (‘Broad Meadow’ - opposite Balliol College)

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

1 Like

Helo bawb! Will try to join for the 16th July meet-up – Edrych ymlaen!

3 Likes

Bore da. Dw i newydd dechrau dysgu Cymraeg. I have just found out about this group in Oxford UK. I work in Oxford and wondered if you have space, and patience, for a learner to join you please? Kind regards. Heather

4 Likes

Croeso @heather-18! Yes, indeed, you’d be very welcome to join us and no problem at all about being a brand new learner - we’re all in this together! :slightly_smiling_face:

At the moment we’re having twice weekly lunchtime meetups, one via Zoom on Tuesdays and one in the open air on Fridays. Let me know if you’d like to join us via Zoom and I’ll send you a PM (Personal Message) with the login details.

If you’re interested, there’s also a walk arranged for this Saturday and you’d be very welcome to join us - thedetails are in this thread: https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/oxford-walks/7540/529

Hwyl fawr
John
PS Happy to answer any quesitions :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you. Sadly I am busy this Saturday but I hope the weather stays good for you.

I can usually take a longer lunch break on either a Tuesday or a Friday and would be really grateful to meet other Welsh speakers.

I can’t make Tuesday next week but please send me the zoom details. I am available if there is anything happening on Friday depending on where you are meeting.

Thanks very much for getting back to me.
Heather

1 Like

Yes, we have arranged this meetup on Friday but I’ll need to confirm this tomorrow after checking with the others (I know @bethan-williams-1 and @Betterlatethan won’t be joining us on Friday but @mohinigupta was planning to join us and maybe @owen-mcknight @RichardBuck etc)

Hwyl,
John
PS I’ll forward the Zoom details now

Splendid! I’ll aim to join you all in Broad Meadow on Friday. (I will be in the city centre anyway and my Covid reporting app tells me that cases in Oxford are declining again :crossed_fingers:)

2 Likes

OK - @heather-18 @mohinigupta @owen-mcknight, let’s confirm tomorrow’s (Friday) midday ‘Broad Meadow’ meetup, then (I’ll try and remember to bring/wear something Welsh so you can spot us, @heather-18 :slightly_smiling_face:)
Hwyl
John

2 Likes

Lovely. I was wondering how I would recognise the group. I have a feeling I will look like a lost lady listening in to people’s conversations to see if I recognise any words :joy::joy: I am looking forward to tomorrow.

2 Likes

Helo bawb - as they seem to be working well, let’s keep to the same meetup arrangements as last week:

• 12:00 Tuesday 20th July / dydd Mawrth 20fed Gorffenaf (via Zoom - let me know if you need the login details)
  • 12:00 Friday 23rd July / dydd Gwener 23ain Gorffenaf (‘Broad Meadow’ - opposite Balliol College)

Get in touch if you have any queations :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John

Hello,

my name is Jane and I live in Bucks but wondered if it would be possible to join one of your meet ups at some point?

I am on the Beginners North Wales course on Challenge 19 - so not very fluent yet I’m afraid!
I have finished working so am flexible on most days.

Apologies if I’ve sent this to you twice!

Diolch yn fawr
Jane

3 Likes

Hello Jane - yes, certainly you can join us - the more the merrier! :slightly_smiling_face:
As you’ll have seen we’re meeting up twice a week at the moment, via Zoom on Tuedays and face to face on Fridays (you might also have seen that we’ve also started up our walks+sgwrs again - details on this thread https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/oxford-walks/7540/537 ).
Hwyl
John
PS I’ll PM you with the Zoom details

Hi John,

many thanks for the welcome and the information about the meet ups, the Zoom and the walks. Look forward to meeting you ‘virtually’ or in real life soon. :slightly_smiling_face:

bye for now

Jane

3 Likes

I am feeling too hot/lazy/over-anxious to visit Oxford today, but I could be on Zoom if anyone else is available but not in Oxford. @bethan-williams-1? Anyone else? Including @jane-b of course. We have been saying recently that it would be really good to have some more people.
Sue

2 Likes

I will be on zoom at 12.00 today. Bethan

1 Like

Hope I won’t be the only one of us in Broad Meadow today … :worried:

1 Like

I hope somone joined you, @johnwilliams_6.
It was great to meet @jane-b on Zoom. @bethan-williams-1 and I were impressed by how much she, as a relatively new learner, was able to say. More importantly - how willing she was to have a go. See you on Tuesday!
Sue

3 Likes

Yes Jane it was lovely to meet you on zoom. Your Welsh is good and I m sure your cousin will be impressed. Look forward to talking again soon. Hwyl Bethan

1 Like