Published: new advanced content

Hi Beca,
Yes, really enjoying it thanks. I feel it is really helping me. Today I had another chat with a Welsh speaking acquaintance and she said that my Welsh was better than I thought it was.

Talking of better, that brings me nicely back to goro. So, at the end of Sgwrs 5, when you said something like “Dwi’n goro creu trawsgrif a chyfieithiad”, for “I need to” …, is that sort of “I’d best …”?

Edit- just a thought …or is that a shortened version of gorfod (need). Sorry, I’ll shut up and let you speak :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ieeee, also Beca in the Forum Datblygu Criw (or Criw Datblygu) ! :sunglasses::grin:

I can’t list two favorite songs of theirs, though. What I know is that I hardly knew Welsh language existed before listening to their records, and now I find myself learning Welsh. :thinking:
I still haven’t decided if I have to thank them or complain to them for this! :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t think so. As far as I understood it, goro is a colloquial form of Dwi’n gorfod … (which would just be another variety of saying I have to/I must)
The difference is that gora (= best) ends with a distinctive a-sound, while goro has an audible o-sound at the end.
(Edit: And it appears that while I was typing this reply you had that idea yourself.) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Hendrik, Great thanks.
Bad news, I thought for a minute that I had discovered some sort of N Wales - Liverpool connection, similar to the S Wales “lota” for “llawr o/lots of”.

There would be no end to the “o” or “a” type endings that I could make up: Lora, gora, sorta kinda…

1 Like

Yup - ‘goro’ is ‘gorfod’ - well spotted! Glad you’re finding it all helpful!

2 Likes

Dave Edwards would be very pleased I’m sure!

2 Likes

Hi haven’t managed to start listening to these yet. Is there any possibility of making them available through the app? I spend a lot of time in the car driving and it would be really useful

1 Like

They are available on IOS :+1:

1 Like

I’ll ping @kinetic for an update on this… :slight_smile:

1 Like

on the iphone app?

Yes, swipe past level 3 and you will come across advanced. The Transcript is only available on the computer at the moment but there’s lots of interesting listening to be done. :+1:

1 Like

Nope! I’ve got Levels 1,2,3 Old Course 1,2,3 then its Weekly listening practice, daily listening practice then growth club. I’ve re-downloaded the app too.

:thinking:
Had to think about this. Thought it was available to all or maybe it’s those that used the test flight app which is a different app.
Help @aran

1 Like

Tagging @lewie for you

1 Like

Took the words right out of my mouth… :star: :star2:

1 Like

Calling Rownd a Rownd fans! Here’s a little puzzler for you - as you can see it’s a meme spoofing Friends, but for humour purposes the English has been written as if it was Welsh…,.

5 Likes

Hi Beca. Another great scwrs. Thank you.

One thing I noticed was that Craig was saying ‘teulu fy’ rather than ‘fy nheulu’. Is that an example of how people really talk - as opposed to what we are told is 'grammatically correct '?

4 Likes

Hiya - glad you enjoyed it - yes, “teulu fi” or “nheulu i” is what you’d hear people say, “fy nheulu” is more formal and would be used more often in written Welsh.

3 Likes

Now that’s the sort of quality tip you only get from SSiW :sweat_smile:

Does that generalise to other things that are ‘mine’ ( eg can you / do you say 'car fy / ty fy etc) or is it just families?

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
(edited to say - I’m laughing at the R&R meme - not Catriona’s very good question, but now seem unable to move it to where I want it!)

3 Likes