Published: new advanced content

Glad you enjoyed it. I think Luned’s work is amazing - she captures so much about character, culture, time and place; and with so much humour and warmth.

2 Likes

Glad you liked it. Yes the Patagonia stuff was fascinating wasn’t it - I didn’t know half the things that came up. Incredibly informative.

1 Like

Yes, well spotted, we tend to say ‘eshi’ in the north - not sure why!

1 Like

Recovering former Archer’s addict here. However, I still get the occasional fix on the car radio. But I can quit any time I like. No, really.

Kefir is sold here (I’m in England), but you seem to have to look for it, even in Waitrose.

:lying_face::joy:

1 Like

Oh, i love her work. (All new to me.) Hopefully i might get to see some, not just ar lein, when I’m in Caernarfon next year.
Great scwrs too. What an amazing range of topics you are covering, Beca! It does mean there is new vocabulary each time that utterly floors me, but hopefully bit by bit some of it is sticking. I think I’m finding that reading the transcripts is gradually getting easier, so my visual recognition is improving probar faster than my aural recognition.
Thanks again. I look forward every Friday now to seeing what the next treat is you have in store for us.

2 Likes

Just to say that I was listening to Radio Cymru this morning. A lady from Cricieth? Was being interviewed about Christmas card sales. Wow. It sounded just like a Beca style interview and I understood every word. Not just the pattern. It was as if it was in English. To be fair, if it had been in English, I might have struggled slightly with accents.

There is no way that I would have been able to do that a few weeks ago. Fair play to you, Beca and All.

4 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Helo @beca-brown eto,

May I ask a cheeky question about RaR, if it’s not giving away too many trade-secrets?

Do you know at what periods in the year most of the filming is done?
I’m guessing that at least some of it is done in the summer months when the series is on a “break” as far as the viewers are concerned. Presumably because of a better chance of good weather, and the longer hours of daylight.

On that subject, I’ve got the impression that many outside scenes are filmed really early in the morning, presumably to get better light, and also hopefully quieter streets.
Must be really fun for the cast getting up so early and having to appear fresh as daisies! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

On the northern courses, we used to hear a lot of “nesh i” from Aran. I can’t remember if it’s so evident on the levels. Mostly from Aran, but sometimes from Catrin, but at other times it could be heard as “nes i”. Both equally acceptable I believe.

How funny that you ask… today’s Sgwrs is with a member of the Rownd a Rownd cast - Robbie - and he has some insider info to share!
But yes, time of day is a big issue, as is weather, and as scripts are prepared almost a year in advance, dawn and dusk times are always put at the top of the script so that the crew know when they lose light or gain darkness. Say if you have a scene that has to be filmed in evening light, if it’s summertime then that will require a nightshoot as it doesn’t get dark until 10, and nightshoots are more costly, so things like that are always an issue.

4 Likes

Wow, diolch Beca! Looking forward to the insider info, and the rest of the sgwrs, wrth gwrs.

2 Likes
           One more question,  if I may @beca-brown 

I’ve referred to this in the RaR thread, but one nice expression I’ve only heard on RaR is “rel boi”. I sort of know what it means from context and know it should not be translated literally.

My questions are:

is this phrase in your active vocabulary?

Is it a phrase you would use in a RaR script?

Can you give an example of its typical use?

Diolch o galon!

1 Like

And… new stuff up there now… :slight_smile:

[Sorry for the delay - I gather Beca got blind-sided by needing to do some carol singing… :wink: :smiley: ]

3 Likes

Yes, I would use ‘rêl boi’ often - it’s a compliment, it’s a way of saying that someone is perfectly competent at something, usually when it might be something difficult or something the person does well a bit unexpectedly or that they didn’t think they’d be able to do it. An example - “Mae o’n hitio’r nodau uchel yna’n rêl boi” (he hits those top notes with no problem). It’s used for girls too, although I have heard ‘rêl gyrl’ used in Anglesey, which is an interesting one, as they use ‘hogia’ to describe both boys and girls over there! Someone from Anglesey once asked me “sut mae’r hogia?” - how are the boys - and I pointed out that I have a boy and a girl, and that’s how I discovered that little linguistic quirk!

3 Likes

Hi all - further to the Sgwrs with Luned Rhys Parri, where there was talk of Patagonia - here’s a clip of children from Patagonia singing a Christmas song. Enjoy.

3 Likes

Bit of a Dyffryn Nantlle thing too - got a friend there who used to call his twin girls ‘yr hogia’, although I don’t think they were ever all that pleased with him for it… :wink:

2 Likes

The equivalent of the English “Hi guys” regardless of gender, I’d say :grinning:

3 Likes

Can you give us a programme name and timestamp?

1 Like

What a nice young man, thank you for helping us on our language journey, some great insider info there.
I’ve not had chance to do the reading bits yet but I’m almost GOG-LIKE now so understood more than usual ha…but I will print the sheets off tomorrow to make sure I get all of the golden nuggets.

2 Likes