Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

The heretic in me would also say “ie plîs” - that I would say very informally. I’d probably add, as @aran has said “byddai paned (sori Iestyn) yn dda iawn, diolch” - but that’s a real Englishism…:smile:

2 Likes

2 quick questions…(the 2nd Q I can guess the answer- as its shorter form of saying something- but still curious)

Q1. How to say “mid” in Welsh…“it was mid-twenties in the sunshine today”…“it happened mid-game”

Q2 . Why do so few Welsh speakers I meet ever use the Welsh forms of sorry or please in speech

plis = please
sori - sorry (spelling wise)

1 Like

although there are just a couple of exceptions, mid is canol - e.g. mid June = canol Mehefin.
One of the exceptions that come to mind is mid Wales which is canolbarth Cymru.

the second question - yes you know the answer - it is indeed because they are so much shorter to say and write, although if someone was speaking or writing formally they would of course use the proper forms.

3 Likes

I even hear the word sorry used in Germany by native speakers to each other now!

I like to shorten Mae’n ddrwg gen i…to ddrwg gen i…personally

2 Likes

Sometimes, you can use “hanner” - “half”, e.g. hanner dydd - midday, and hanner nos - midnight.
But canol dydd and canol nos also work.

1 Like

Following on from discussion elsewhere, does Welsh have a verb(-noun) for “calling someone ti instead of chi”? – Like French tutoier, Catalan tutejar etc. I.e. “Tu peux me tutoier” (you – sorry, tha – can ‘thou’ me) = Mi fedri di…?

1 Like

Not that I know of… :slight_smile:

Tydïo: ‘Qui vous autorise à me tutoyer?’ (‘Pwy a roddodd ganiatâd ichi fy nhydïo?’)

2 Likes

Ooh, thank you for that - the article looks interesting and, for me, just about readable with a little bit of a stretch. Also, I note from one of the captions that you can say galw rhywun yn ‘chi’, so I guess there are perfectly good ways around it without having to resort to tydio if it’s that recherché :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooh, I rather love tydïo.

But sadly I have never, ever heard anyone use it, ever. I would use it with a certain trepidation, expecting that I might need to explain myself (depending on how clear the context was).

2 Likes

Now you’ve mentioned it Louis, I see that it does occur in GPC ( http://geiriadur.ac.uk/gpc/gpc.html )

First reference is from 1592.

1 Like

No, I haven’t either :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would be a great pick-up line: “Ga i dy dydïo di?”

4 Likes

I’d expect a fairly even split between laughter and slaps there… :scream:

1 Like

Shwmae pawb! A little question. Whilst watching Pobol Y Cwm (no subtitles, just brain soup) I can’t help noticing a lot of what sounds like ‘oss e’ aat the end of sentences. My brain notices it, shrugs and moves on, but I always want to know what it is. Is it a version of ‘ond y fe’ that I used to hear said, or ‘ond yw hi’ like we had in level one? Or something else altogether? My brain wants to think of it as an is it/innit type thing that often crops up at the end of a sentence but I’m aware that it could well be because ‘oss e’ sounds so much like ‘is it’. I’m assuming the ‘oss’ is maybe ‘oes’. Tipyn o help plis! :confused:

could be (os - if).

cheers J.P.

1 Like

Oes e? Is it? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch @aran. Simple, eh? Back to the soup! :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve got to take my daughter to Germany at the weekend for a ballet event, so I need to get my brain around speaking German for a change. (Which I used to live through, but is now extremely rusty and comes out half Welsh at the mo.)

I have been trying very hard to resist the temptation to think /read /speak any Cymraeg all the afternoon while packing, but it’s difficult! At least German is a language where is easy to translate “withdrawal symptoms”! (Entzugserscheinungen)

That started me thinking though, how unlikely it would be to hear someone actually bother to translate “withdrawal symptoms” in Welsh. (At least amongst the people I talk to.) Inevitable I suppose, but so many slightly interesting words tend to just get said in English, which strikes me a shame. I wonder how much of a problem that is in Welsh medium education when the kids get older and need to be able to write about serious stuff?

Anyway, any takes on “withdrawal symptoms” in Cymraeg?

1 Like

How about ‘hiraeth’? :wink:

2 Likes