Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Yes, I think it will mean: to or for William

Yes, " I William oddi wrth Clare " is fine.

1 Like

Diolch John a Siaron.

1 Like

waw, diolch. dwlu ar hwn. Love this. Thanks, mate!

1 Like

Advanced Content.

I’m about to delve into this section.Should I start at number one, or can I dip in to any if them. i.e. - are they of similar level or is there a progression?

2 Likes

Did you have a look at this thread?

From my experience, I would start with the most recent series: they are shorter, focused on one or two topics/stories and easier to work on in my opinion!

2 Likes

Thank you @gisella-albertini

Yes thats right, misoedd/blynyddoedd but If you re still learning it would be 'dwi’n dysgu ers…misoedd/canrifoedd etc

1 Like

Hi Ken. Yes, I’d probably start with the Deg y Dysgwyr, then go to the start with Beca’s introduction and just work through them. One a week is a nice pace. If you need a breather anytime, you might like to dip into one of the other items, at the top of the list. Theres no pdf with Catrin & Aran’s older podcasts, so nice to just listen to them.

Also, as with the Challenges, i would say there’s no need to aim for 100% comprehension. Mine was fairly low to start with but it’s surprising how I’m improving as I carry on. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Morning - I hope this is the right place! And I might find someone who can answer a quick question.

This morning, as you do over breakfast, was watching “Abadas” and at the beginning Ben the narrator child opens his story book to find the characters and I can make out :

… ble maen nhw’n chwarae heddiw - “where are they playing today” , but at the start of the sentence something that sounds like “sgyw mi” or “skew me” with a more English flavour. I turned on subtitles and it says “I wonder” but I can’t translate that back to anything that sounds a match…

Can anyone suggest something I can look up?

Looking up “tybed” which also means “I wonder” in my Modern Welsh Dictionary reveals the suggested alternative of " 'sgwn i", which seems most likely.

Looking THAT up reveals it to be a Northern variant of “I wonder”.

I hope that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

:slight_smile: dw I angen geiriadur newydd

Thank you so much. These welsh really are a tricky bunch! I can get back to work now! Productivity restored.
G.

1 Like

Yes, I’m fairly sure I read somewhere it’s short for ‘os gwn i’ - where the gwn I is an inflected version of gwybod (stem + an ending) …so literally it’s something like ‘if I know’…

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

i’m listening to some beautiful Gwilym Bowen Rhys and came across the phrase
byth y beunydd which has been translated as ‘day in day out’. I know that’s not a literal translation, but would anyone be able to help on what ‘beunydd’ means?
Is it used in modern Welsh?

Diolch

Replied to wrong person originally, sorry. :roll_eyes:

Beunydd = daily. :+1: :grinning:

diolch. I had always known ‘yn ddyddiol’. Is there a difference in meaning?

My dictionary shows beunydd as an adverb and beunyddiol and dyddiol as adjectives.

1 Like

Ein bara beunyddiol, Our daily bread, as in the Lord’s Prayer.

1 Like

Why Mi?
Am I right in assuming there is no difference between the statements ‘Mi ges i uwd i frecwast ddoe’ and ‘Ges i uwd i frecwast ddoe’? It’s confusing me because in most other languages I’ve studied ‘mi’ or similar words represent possessive pronouns eg ‘il mio’ in Italian, ‘la mien’ in French & ‘mein’ in German. So when I found the following I was more confused as to the use of ‘mi’ yn Gymraeg:
‘Mi gaethoch chi uwd i frecwast ddoe’ and ‘Mi gest ti uwd i frecwast ddoe’. As the subject asks, Why Mi?

‘mi’ is simply an ‘affirmative marker’, denoting a positive statement - it doesn’t have a translation. So yes, you’re right in assuming there is no difference between the statements ‘Mi ges i uwd i frecwast ddoe’ and ‘Ges i uwd i frecwast ddoe’. Some people use it, some don’t - it’s correct either way.

3 Likes