Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Diolch am egluro ac yn esbonio hynny’n llwyr i mi :wink::ok_hand:

4 Likes

Helo,

So I singned up - but where is the content?? There is only a welcome notice that learning starts on Monday, why that? In any case, this is not what I was told. I want to find the lessons right away, and not wait. So where are they?

Thx in advance

When you sign up to the structured course you receive an email every Monday with the coursework for that week and how to access the tutor support on the Slack 6/6 group.

If you want to start straight away on your own, click on ‘Learn’ in the top bar, then click on ‘Challenges’, then ‘Level 1’. Choose whether to follow the North or South course, then you can start the intro and first challenge. (These are instructions for a web browser - if you are using the app on a phone it may be different).

3 Likes

Diolch!

The challenges teach “fedra i (ddim)”. What grammatical form is that?

They also teach “o’n i” for statements about the past, whereas my book (Mynediad Gogledd, 14) teaches “o’n i” only for questions and short answers, otherwise teaches “ro’n i”. Why is that?

Thx in advance

fedra i ddim is the short form (i.e. preterite tense) and is equivalent to “dwi ddim yn medru”

"o’n i " and “ro’n i” are pretty much interchangeable in spoken Welsh. Technically, to be perfectly grammatically correct, “o’n i” would be just the question form (being an abbreviation of “oeddwn i”) and “ro’n i” would be the positive statement form (being an abbreviation on “roeddwn i”), but it’s very common to hear “o’n i” used for positive statements too in colloquial Welsh.

2 Likes

Thx.

“fedra i ddim” - Preterite? From this post Dw i'n medru -v- medra'i it looks more like it were future tense? Is there maybe a grammar page anywhere that explains it?

Thx in advance

My mistake - I’m getting my preterites muddled. Short forms in the past are preterite. fedra i ddim is both present and future - I am not able to / I won’t be able to - and it’s the context that tells you which it is.

1 Like

In Challenge 10, Level 2 at approximately 10:07, the sentence in English is “He said that she had better try to speak a little more slowly”. I translated this as “Ddudodd o yn well iddi hi drio siarad bach yn arafach”. However, Catrin and Aran use byddai. I think what they are saying is “Ddudodd o y byddai’n well iddi hi drio siarad bach yn arafach” but am not sure.

Please could someone clarify: have I have heard this correctly and why is byddai used here?

Yes, you heard correctly.

Now, for the why… well, colloquially, you’ll hear Well i ti fynd for You’d better leave, and as a sentence/command on its own this is fine. But the complete structure is
Byddai’n well i ti fynd, literally It would be better for you if you went, and in a subclause or reported speech, the shortened form just doesn’t work.

1 Like

Not related but can’t figure out how to add a new comment from my phone :see_no_evil:

Would you say the most accurate translation of efelychu is to recreate? My somewhat older dictionary says imitate, but most results on bbc are sports related and along the lines of recreating or repeating a past success.

I could see how imitate might be used in this way, but it doesn’t work the other way around as in “stop imitating (recreating) me.”

Diolch yn fawr!

efelychu is to imitate or to emulate, so I think the sports comments are probably using it in its ‘emulate’ capacity, and that ‘recreate’ is just a synonym that could be swapped in in certain contexts but wouldn’t be suitable in other contexts.

Helo, first the challenge explains that “am” is followed by a softening, but then it is “am tua mis” and not *am dua mis. Why is that? Which words soften after “am” and which don’t?

I can’t really give you a reason here, but some words are just never mutated, tua being one of them. Another example I can think of off the top of my head is am byth (= forever).
Don’t worry too much about this, you’ll learn those exceptions by being exposed to them, and even if you make mistakes in mutation, people will still understand you.

2 Likes

Yeah as @Hendrik says, mistakes in mutations in most circumstances don’t matter because they don’t affect the meaning and therefore understanding.
With “ei…fo” and “ei…hi” the mutation in the middle is more important because it can affect meaning especially if the following fo/hi is dropped. But please don’t worry about this.

Thank you, Hendrik. This makes sense. I hadn’t equated “you had better….” with “it would be better for you…”.

Just Realised that ymarfer - (practice) and arfer - (custom/accustom) are similar :joy:

2 Likes

Yes they remind me of the many meanings of the English word “Use”

1 Like

Is there an equivalent of the English term/phrase … “dark horse” ?? (someone who has hidden talents or skill)

Yes, it’s " 'deryn y nos" - in Welsh it’s ‘night bird’ rather than ‘dark horse’ :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Diolch.:muscle::slightly_smiling_face::owl:

Is it spelt deryn even in formal writing or aderyn?
I learnt “tipyn o deryn” in my family… as “cock of the walk” (bit of a lad)