Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Funny you should mention that book as I’ve recently had it handed down to me by an Uncle in Law who tried and failed before me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Quick question,
Where can I find the introduction to the old course 1 south

Diolch

Many thanks. I already have the modern Welsh book which is a great help but as it is my birthday next week, it has gone on the birthday list. Thanks for the recommendation and thanks Gareth King for writing such useful books.

Tom

1 Like

Challenges -> Old material -> Course 1 -> Introduction… :slight_smile:

Yup, mostly, plus what Siaron said :slight_smile:

Nope, not for the life of me! :slight_smile:

It’s really just that saying ‘this.Welsh.word’ = ‘this.English.word’ is always a shortcut - they almost never really mean exactly the same thing - sometimes you use ‘dros’ where in English you’d use ‘over’, sometimes where in English you’d use ‘for’ - but that’s just a pattern that helps you start to use it.

As you get more and more exposure to it, use it more yourself and hear other people using it, you develop a natural web of options/variations/connections until eventually you know that ‘dros’ is the Welsh for ‘dros’ and that’s just how it is… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Does that mean it is unavailable from the app? I suspect so.

I had a Welsh tutor a few years back who felt the company name, Olew Dros Cymru, was aa little like the oil was all over the road. If it were up to her it would have been a different name.

3 Likes

I’ve been reading the discussion of dros with interest because it is one of those words with multiple (English) meanings. It sometimes seems to me that dros also means “across” - so that using that meaning, Olew Dros Cymru makes more sense. One of the examples in my dictionary is dros y bont which is translated as “over the bridge” but which makes just as much sense as “across the bridge.”

2 Likes

Spot-on correct! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is :slight_smile:

I would! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh dear - I hope he didn’t fail because of the book! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awww - shucks!! :slight_smile:
And thanks to people for buying them! :smiley:

2 Likes

No, no. I think he picked it up somewhere, read the first 20 pages and expected to be able to speak fluent Welsh in half an hour!

Ironically, the last time I saw him was conducting the orchestra at this year’s National Eisteddfod during the ‘A Oes Heddwch’ show.

2 Likes

I quite like the multiple meanings of “Olew dros Gymru” And it’s link to pleidleisio dros rhywun/rhyw blaid, almost implies a social enterpriseness to it. Corporate Social Responsibility is the horrible management speak

1 Like

This is so so so true :grin:. It’s like once you get a word in Welsh it’s easy, but then translating it back into English becomes hard. I am such a mash up of gotten words, half webs and don’t recognise that one at all at the moment.

2 Likes

Diolch Aran

1 Like

Possibly not a quick sentence, but to me it almost conveys an action “over” something: overnight, over the wall, over the road, etc. So in the “for” sense it still seems to have a similar meaning. In my mind it’s something like responsibility for/over something.

I checked the University of Wales Dictionary, and it came up with “for” in the sense of “in favour of” and “on behalf of”.

1 Like

That reminds me very much of the condescending / strong put-down use (in the more lively exchanges in Pobol y Cwm ) of gwbói (adjusted, as necessary, to gwgýrl).

I sometimes think that PyC could justifiably be subtitled “How to say something rude and argumentative, just for the sake of it, in Welsh”. :slight_smile:

i am surprised that calling someone ‘my servant’ is ever affectionate!

Fy ngwas i- is an affectionate term. Not fair to judge based on a translation

3 Likes

It sometimes seems to me that dros also means “across”

I’m enjoying these similar words/terms now: Dros, ar dros, traws, trwy…and hoping that if I use the wrong one it will go un-noticed as accent anyway and the meaning will still shine through.

Edit: In English, my late Aunts would use the term “travelling through to…” especially if using a train, whereas my immediate family tend to say “over to…”. They lived a few miles from us and had a slightly different dialect. :slight_smile:

2 Likes