Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Mae croeso mawr i chi! You’re very welcome! I hope you enjoy them a lot, and I hope it gets your husband more engaged with learning Cymraeg! :grinning::sunflower:

1 Like

@KellyMoore Maybe you already know this, but there is a lot of Welsh music available on Spotify in the US :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not guaranteeing that my suggestion is technically correct, mind.

1 Like

I guess we’re all making our best guesses here! :grin:

I guess in English, “all I knew” is a bit idiomatic in that it doesn’t mean all in the sense of knowing all or everything, but more the total or “y cyfan” of what is known. It could quite easily mean I didn’t know very much at “all” or that was the little that I knew. There are more vagaries to the English “all” than I appreciated.

4 Likes

In the…everything about all series, I’d have a couple more curiosities:

What’s the difference with hollol?
And o gwbl?

How would you translate na gyd dwi’n gweld?

p.s. the last sentence might not be written exactly as it should!

1 Like

hollol is an adjective/adverb meaning complete(ly) - hollol gywir - completely correct. It’s very like cwbl in this sense - and indeed you can say cwbl gywir. (But NOT *cyfan gywir - so there’s a small difference between cwbl and cyfan). And you can use yn hollol on its own as a neat way to do the response Absolutely!

O gwbl is a one-off phrase you can just learn - at all
Dim byd o gwbl - Nothing at all
Oes gynnoch chi unrhywbeth o gwbl? - Have you got anything at all?

’Na i gyd dw i’n gweld - That’s all I see

:slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

I’m sure details and examples make a huge difference in understanding the language and being able to speak properly (at some point!).
If one just always a random translation on-line dictionary or let Google Translate do the job, it’s almost always going to sound a bit wrong I believe.

Just for fun:
Y cwbl dw i’n gwybod [yw? bod? taw? nothing? I’m confused now!] ychydig fisoedd yn ôl, do’n i ddim yn gwybod dim byd o gwbl am Gymraeg/yn Gymraeg. - All I know is that a few months ago I didn’t know anything at all about Welsh/in Welsh.

How does this sound? :smiley:
I’m sorry I’m still a bit lost about how to connect sentences - I think also because I’m still a bit confused about bod appearing in so many different forms and places… :scream:

2 Likes

And it’s quickly become one of mine too :smile:

1 Like

S’mae!

Stuck on something in level 1, challenge 14, and would love some help if someone’s willing.

I just can’t seem to hear ‘he said that he…’ and ‘she said that she…’ - I’d love to see it written down so I can get it into my head. I’ve done the challenge twice but it isn’t sticking.

Diolch!

I think you’re after “ddudodd o fod o …” and “ddudodd hi bod hi …”.

2 Likes

Personally I would rephrase this, as follows:

Un peth yn unig dw i’n gwybod: ychydig misoedd yn ôl, o’n i ddim yn gwybod dim byd am y Gymraeg

(One thing only I know: )

4 Likes

Diolch yn fawr!

2 Likes

I wonder if I could use this thread to ask if Shwmae is a question? I appreciate that is is very informal but Duolingo gives the meaning as, “Hi, Hello or How are things” (with no question mark). Google translate gives, “Howdy” which also sounds like it should have a question mark, and sounds like it is weirdly Texan! The reason for asking is that I am involved in organising a Gwyl Dewi Sant at our local village Hall in Gloucestershire, and I was intending to get people to say a few simple words yn Gymraeg to each other. But, if one person says to their neighbour, “Shwmae”, what should the response be? If it means Hi or Hello, then the response might be, “Shwmae” back; whereas, if it means, “How are things?” then the response might be, “Da iawn, diolch.” Of course, if it really means, “Howdy”, then the appropriate response might be Dw i’n darn tutin’ partner!"
Any clarification would be appreciated. Nic

1 Like

It’s short for Sut mae hi? …how is it/ how goes it …multiple things of that sort…(but this can also mean hello can’t it, in an informal way)

So Da iawn diolch …very well thank you …or things of that nature.

Rich :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You’ll hear both of those, so probably the key thing at this point is not to over-think it… :wink:

2 Likes

I treat it like the English greeting, “Alright?” to which, as we all know, the only correct response is “Alright?” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Shwmae, at first reminded me of that thing that we found in every Lesson 1 of English language:
Person A “How do you do?”
Person B “How do you do(?)”
It always seemed really weird to me (us). It’s a question, but not really, since the other person is supposed to repeat exactly the same thing instead of answering!? I never really understood the point, but I actually never heard anyone saying that in real life so…never mind!!

p.s. I see/hear shwmae all the time, instead, and just say shwmae back every time, it seemed always fine!

1 Like

Curiosity here, @gisella-albertini - what do Italians say as a standard hello-type greeting? I have only the tiniest bit of Italian language, mostly from movies, so I’m curious what phrases are common in Italy?

As an aside - I often hear/say “Shwmae, sut wyt ti?” which actually is a doubling I suppose but works pretty well for me.

1 Like

…movies with Italians or Italian-Americans? :slight_smile: (just curious myself!)

In Italy, the most common is ciao.
Works when you meet, and works when you leave!

When meeting, you can also use salve (half way between formal and informal, if you’re not too sure)

Then there’s the “how are you?”-type of things that may also work when you meet.
Come sta? (like Welsh chi)
Come stai? (like Welsh ti)
Come va? (how is it going?)
Com’è? (more informal, with friends - literally “how’s it?” - often used instead of ciao, with people you don’t often see/haven’t seen for a while)

When leaving also:
Ci vediamo (informal, lit. we’ll see each other = see you)
Ci si vede (same, more informal)
Ci si becca (same, kinda slangy!)

(if I remember more, I will add them!) :smiley:

1 Like