Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

A baby…

:wink:

1 Like

Spot on. That’s why it’s Llywodraeth Cymru and not Llywodraeth Gymru, too. It translates more as University of Bangor / Government of Wales rather than Bangor University or Welsh Government.

5 Likes

For this we’ve heard - “wyt ti’n gwybod y rhyw?” (do you know the sex)

This tends to be “beth ydy’r dyddiad?” - what’s the date? or “pryd wyt ti’n disgwyl?” - when are you expecting

“sawl wythnos?” - how many weeks?

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Diolch yn fawr!

Improving my ability to make playground small talk… :roll_eyes::smile:

2 Likes

Hello!
A tiny beginner question: is “r” in “trio” the same like in “siarad”? They sound different to my newbie ear but I’m not sure.
Thanks!

yes, technically the r is the same in both, but what you’ll find is that people ‘roll’ an r to varying degrees and sometimes more in some words than in others. There is no rule on this - it’s very much a personal thing and the r is valid with or without a roll! (which is just as well - my own rolled r is very hit-and-miss! :wink: )

3 Likes

Oh thank you so much! It’s very comforting to know that a. I’m not imagining things and b. I don’t have to learn where to roll an r and where not to! :grin:

1 Like

Just as it was all going so well…:cry:

I’m doing the 6 month course. Last week I managed Level 1 challenges 12 and 13 really well, so thought I was on a roll, but challenge 14 has completely confused me and dented my confidence.

In lessons 12/13, I have been hearing oedd at the start of a sentence when someone has wanted something, so -
“Oedd yr hen fenyw yn moin…”;
"Oedd hi’n moyn… “;
" Oedd dy chwaer dy moyn i fi dweud wrth o ti…” etc, etc -

I was perfectly OK with that, but then in lesson 14, although we have “Oedd yr hen fenyw yn moyn …” again near the beginning of the lesson, we then get -
“Rhywun oedd yn moyn …” and
“Mae gyda fi ffrind oedd yn moyn” …

Why has oedd moved from the beginning to a different place in the sentence? - is it somehow caused by rhywen and by mae gyda fi? Is there a rule of thumb to remember how to structure “wanted” sentences? Or are these just different ways of saying the same thing with the two methods being interchangeable?

Sorry if this is a really silly question, but I’d appreciate some enlightenment before I continue! Thanks in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

Not a silly question at all - many have, and many more will, come across the same puzzler!

It’s not to do with moyn or really rhywun or gyda fi either. It’s because in these sentences the ‘oedd’ is not just saying ‘was’, it’s saying ‘that was’. Bod (of which oedd is the past tense form) is a tricky little devil when it pops up as meaning ‘that’, so don’t panic too much - almost everyone trips over it!

“Rhywun oedd yn moyn …” - Someone that wanted… (lit. someone that was wanting…)
“Mae gyda fi ffrind oedd yn moyn” …- I have a friend that wanted… (lit. a friend that was wanting…)

Notice what happens here -
“Oedd yr hen fenyw yn moyn …” - The old woman wanted… (lit. the old woman was wanting…)
BUT
“Yr hen fenwy oedd yn moyn…” - The old woman that wanted… (lit. the old woman that was wanting…)

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr, Siaron. Yes, that does help :slightly_smiling_face:

I know I need to trust the process and just press on, but I’m worried that I will misunderstand something and then get the wrong version stuck in my head! I’ll go on :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I get that worry on a regular basis Jackie. If in doubt, post a question on here, help is at hand!

1 Like

I was thinking of a line from a song, “Mae genai rhywbeth dwisho’i ddeud”.

1. I’m guessing “genai” just a variant of “gen i”?
  2. Why isn’t it “Mae genai rhywbeth bod dwisho’i ddeud”, or some other form involving “bod”?

Genai is indeed a form of “gan”. The full formal version is “gynnaf” so you’ll hear a few variants of it.

For the second part I’m going to give you a longer answer because there’s an important point about bod, so bare with me :blush:

Bod means “being/to be” it doesn’t mean “that”. It takes the place of that in English sometimes.
Dwi is a form of bod. So you never get them together. I am is a form of being.
So the line of the song is “I have something I am wanting to say”. You could use bod here too “mae gennai rywbeth fy mod i isio’i ddeud” - formal (bo fi informal).

It’s one of those things that gives a different colour to the language and shows how different it is to English.

Yeah, I was then thinking, “But then again, it’s usually ‘bo’ fi’ rather than using ‘dwi’. But that would make it ‘fisho’. Of course, there’s ‘tisho’, so…” Cue me spiraling into the black hole of thinking and overthinking and contemplating the universe.
Now that you’ve mentioned “dwi” and “bod” both meaning “to be”, I’m thinking of stuff like “I be being”. It’s also late and I’m in a goofy mood, so things coming from my brain are not necessarily within the realm of sanity. :crazy_face:
(Also, drat, the mutation is wrong on “rhywbeth”, and now I have to fix that in the lyrics I have saved. Genai rywbeth, genai rywbeth…)

So “mae genai rywbeth bo’ fisho’i ddeud” is another way of saying it?

Looks good to me, depends how informal you want to be. You can drop the 'i and just have ddeud too, because ei is implied in the soft mutation.

I notice on challenge 11, level 2 that dau is softened to ddau in the following sentence, but I can’t see why, as it doesn’t seem to follow any rule I can find. Can someone explain, thanks:

Wnest ti wylio’r ddau fachgen yn darllen?

According to Gareth King’s dictionary, “Both forms this numeral [dau or dwy] not only cause soft mutation of a following noun but also themselves undergo soft mutation when preceded by the definite article: y ddau, y ddwy …”

1 Like

Lovely, thanks Sioned.

Whoops, no excuses for not spelling your name properly. Thanks Sionned.

1 Like

I’m nearly at the end of Deep End. But that’s a lie really!

I’m a few weeks behind with little chance of finishing until Christmas - Nadolig.

Will the course still show when I login for a while after I should have finished the course?

(BTW - I love SSIW. As an Englishman now living in South Wales I almost feel like an adopted native. I greet everyone in welsh to find out if they speak welsh. And if they do I get some free practice.)

6 Likes