Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Ah thanks, yes they’re from Blaenau Ffestiniog hence the chorus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqvsc9AsuZ0&ab_channel=yDynSdici. I haven’t got the proper maps so was just relying on google and couldn’t find anything useful in the Ffestiniog area.

Thank you! :heart:

1 Like

Thanks for that, Richard, I remember fydden ni from the old course, but was hearing ddydden i in L2 Ch 2 and the penny didn’t drop - I thought it was a new word! :joy:

1 Like

S’mae pawb,
I’m not sure how to pronounce the following words;
Continue … Parhau
Confirm. … Cadarnhau
Could someone please spell them out phonetically.
Diolch.

Parhau - par high
Cadarnhau - cad arn high

Thanks Siaron.

1 Like

Worth noting that “…hau” words have the stress on the final syllable rather that the penultimate which is the norm.

3 Likes

:+1:

I have seen ‘dw i’ and ‘dwi’ written down. Does it matter which you use?

It doesn’t matter. Dw i is the correct form, but often the space in between is omitted, especially in informal texting. I’d say it’s similar to “I am” versus “I’m” in English.

2 Likes

If you want to pass an exam it matters. If you’re like @CatrinLliarJones and write in the vernacular, it doesn’t!

1 Like

No exam in sight!

1 Like

Hello pawb. Te Hwnt translates as beyond.
However I hear it often on S4C in different contexts.
Is there any other context where this can be used.

Yes, tu hwnt is the preposition ‘beyond’ and that’s probably its most common useage. However, when it appears after an adjective it is being used as the adverb ‘extremely’ e.g. mae’n anodd tu hwnt = it’s extremely difficult. (Although I guess literally it’s like saying “beyond difficult”!)

According to Gareth King’s dictionary, tu hwnt can be either the preposition beyond or the adverb extremely. An example of the latter is given as “the lecture today was extremely boring” - oedd y ddarlith heddiw’n ddiflas tu hwnt

1 Like

Thanks to you both for clearing that up for me.
That is exactly the context it was used on Prynhawn Da the other day but I wasn’t sure.

1 Like

Hello all,

how do we say “cheers” in Welsh please? My 6 year old and I like to clink glasses and go through our languages.

I googled it but it came up with several answers.

It’s usually “Iechyd da” (Good Health), but you could also use “Hir oes” (Long Life).

3 Likes

I have reached lefel 3 rhan 14 and heard iestyn’s provocative statement that grass is blue straw but he wont say why!!! Anyone know the answer

1 Like

The word for ‘grass’ is gwelltglas (or glaswellt). The word for ‘straw’ is gwellt. The word for ‘blue’ is glas. :wink:

2 Likes