Oxford walks

OK - dim probs, Sue :slightly_smiling_face:

I think I would prefer to just stick to Radley at the moment as it is the easiest for me to start off with. Hwyl Bethan

2 Likes

OK, dim probs 'to :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwrê, I think I can make 10.30 on the 12th! No problem cycling to either end of Port Meadow (especially the southern end) … except for the weather forecast predicting thundery showers, but :crossed_fingers: that will change by next week.

2 Likes

I should be able to make it to both walks. I’d prefer the southern end of the meadow but it doesn’t make a big difference either way.

1 Like

For the walk on Wed 12th let’s make, then, 10:30am by the southern Port Meadow car park - so it looks as if it’ll be @owen-mcknight @chris-roberts Clive and me and maybe @RichardBuck If anyone else would like to join us please do :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

1 Like

Re tomorrow’s Port Meadow walk, the BBC forecast shows the thunderstorms holding off until late afternoon (the Met Office is less specific), but let me know @owen-mcknight, @chris-roberts (and @RichardBuck?) if you are in any way unhappy about going ahead with it :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

1 Like

We did it! The Welsh walks successfully resumed today with a three-mile loop through Port Meadow and Burgess Field nature reserve. It was a blazing hot day with no shade but equally no thunderstorms! Here are @chris-roberts, Clive, and @johnwilliams_6 at the Oxford boundary marker (the far point of our walk and one of the few landmarks). Diolch yn fawr pawb!

6 Likes

Looks lovely. Glad the weather held out for you.

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr @owen-mcknight a phawb :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks everyone - it was most enjoyable!

5 Likes

Da iawn! Great photos!

1 Like

After the rain we have had, the better paths are now deep in thick, sticky mud, if not actually flooded. We are expecting more heavy rain today and tomorrow. With this in mind, if people are still game to come on Saturday then I could offer a shorter walk on the road round Lower Radley with a diversion down to the boathouse to view the river. That is, if Lower Radley has not flooded. This would be about 2 miles. If people would like a bit more, we could then walk back up through Radley past the carpark and church and up through Radley College maybe as far as the lake and back. That would be about 3.5 miles in total. Not as interesting as I had hoped but at least it should be solid underfoot. What do you think? @johnwilliams_6 @bethan-williams-1 @chris-roberts @ruth-connor @RichardBuck
Sue

3 Likes

Happy to go with a diversion of any length if the mud/water is a bit much on the planned route.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good plan to me! I am looking forward to it. Let’s hope the weather will be alright on Saturday. Bethan

1 Like

Here’s the alternative route. It is mostly out and back. Potential loops are blocked either by mud or by locked gates. The original route went across some ploughed fields which are normally all right, but now you sink almost to the ankles and emerge three inches taller. The mud is not easy to remove. Best avoided.

Since people are likely to be coming by car and the new route passes the car park, I suggest that we meet at the car park instead of the station. 10:30 as before.
Hwyl
Sue

4 Likes

Yes, sounds OK to me :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sounds good to me. I’m not familiar with most of the sights on offer so it’ll be interesting!

2 Likes

It’s raining now, but with luck it will stop just after 10.30.
Sue

Helo pawb - As we’re now in mis Medi/September in today’s Zoom meetup @Betterlatethan @chris-roberts and I were talking about arranging another walk+sgwrs during the week and/or at the weekend. Sue has some more ideas for another Radley walk and close to Oxford possibilities might be Port Meadow again or the towpath across the river upstream or downstream from The Trout at Wolvercote.
First, if you’re interested, here’s a Doodle poll for you to indicate which if any dates are possible for you: https://doodle.com/poll/cnhhvbwayftztbb2

And, just to repeat in case you haven’t joined us before,

Hwyl,
John

2 Likes