Oxford walks

Happy to go with a diversion of any length if the mud/water is a bit much on the planned route.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good plan to me! I am looking forward to it. Let’s hope the weather will be alright on Saturday. Bethan

1 Like

Here’s the alternative route. It is mostly out and back. Potential loops are blocked either by mud or by locked gates. The original route went across some ploughed fields which are normally all right, but now you sink almost to the ankles and emerge three inches taller. The mud is not easy to remove. Best avoided.

Since people are likely to be coming by car and the new route passes the car park, I suggest that we meet at the car park instead of the station. 10:30 as before.
Hwyl
Sue

4 Likes

Yes, sounds OK to me :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sounds good to me. I’m not familiar with most of the sights on offer so it’ll be interesting!

2 Likes

It’s raining now, but with luck it will stop just after 10.30.
Sue

Helo pawb - As we’re now in mis Medi/September in today’s Zoom meetup @Betterlatethan @chris-roberts and I were talking about arranging another walk+sgwrs during the week and/or at the weekend. Sue has some more ideas for another Radley walk and close to Oxford possibilities might be Port Meadow again or the towpath across the river upstream or downstream from The Trout at Wolvercote.
First, if you’re interested, here’s a Doodle poll for you to indicate which if any dates are possible for you: https://doodle.com/poll/cnhhvbwayftztbb2

And, just to repeat in case you haven’t joined us before,

Hwyl,
John

2 Likes

I’ve done the doodle but having looked at my diary it doesn’t look like I have as many free days in Sept as I’d thought. However if I’m on a late shift I could probably still come for a walk with a possible early bail-out to go to work.

2 Likes

Thanks, @johnwilliams_6
I have filled in the doodle, though I do not seem to have many free days. As always, Sundays are afternoon only. I would need notice in order to cancel existing arrangements.
Sue

1 Like

I am interested in another walk, and I have filled in the Doodle poll! Bethan

1 Like

Sue, for some reason your entries aren’t showing up when I go to the poll :confused:

Maybe I neglected to save or something. I’ll have another look.
Sue

1 Like

Sunday 13 September is looking good for @owen-mcknight, @bethan-williams-1, @chris-roberts and @johnwilliams_6. I shall be free at 1:30pm. Would you consider coming to Radley again?
Sue

2 Likes

I would.

1 Like

That sounds like a good plan! I could make it! Diolch Sue.

1 Like

Diolch, Sue - yes, 1.30pm in Radley would be OK for me.

If we also have a second walk on Sun 20 Sept or Sat 26 Sept that should allow @ruth-connor to join us.

We’ve still to hear from @RichardBuck and Clive, of course - and if anyone else seeing this is perhaps wondering about joiing us, do let us know. We’re always happy to welcome newcomers :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, that looks like four at least and maybe more. I doubt if Clive would want to come - we share a certain reluctance about buses at the moment though I am starting to use them now.
I was suggesting a walk through the woods and down to the river near Sandford then back via Lower Radley.

Suppose we start from the car park at 1:30. It would be about 2 miles through the woods and back down to the road. The road is on the 35 bus route from Oxford to Radley and Abingdon in case anyone wants to leave it there. The timetable says that buses come every 30 minutes, though it is also all right walking back along the road. Then it would be another 3 miles or so down to the river, back along the Thames path for a bit, then across a field and on a track back to Lower Radley and up by the route we have used before. It could be extended a little if people would rather follow the Thames all the way back to Radley College Boathouse and up to Lower Radley from there…
I don’t know the current state of the path, but there may be mud. The Thames path is narrow there and may be a bit overgrown. There is at least one stile at the entrance to Bigwood, but if I can manage it at my height then it should be OK for others. If I get a chance to go that way before 13th to inspect the mud then I will.
Would this suit?
Sue

1 Like

Ah… sorry about this - it looks like I clicked Sun 13th instead of the 20th! We’ll be in Wales on the 13th but I’ll join you the following Sunday if another walk happens.

1 Like

That’s a shame @chris-roberts. I had a look at 20th, but Bethan can’t do that one.
@johnwilliams_6 did mention a possible walk on 20th.
Come to Radley woods in the spring when the bluebells are out.

I did the walk in reverse this afternoon and it was fine. Not too much mud, and avoidable. As a bonus I was able to rescue two couples who had got lost - one near Sandford Lock and one in Little Wood. It may be little, but I have taken the wrong turn there before now.
Sue

1 Like

Put me down as a definite maybe for Sunday 13th! (There’s an outside chance I’ll be in London, but if not, I’m happy to cycle to Radley.)

1 Like