Calling all SSiW meet-up/chat group organisers and coordinators

As @Deborah-SSi is going to be fairy busy with other SSiW work from now on, I’m going to be taking over the weekly email.

My foremost concern is to make sure I am fully up to date with dates and locations for all the SSiW meet-ups happening all over the globe, so that I may pass the correct information on to all our learners. Deborah has done an excellent job of gathering info and passing it on to me, but I thought I’d give myself a week, before the next email, to double and triple check that all the info I have is correct and up to date.

So if you are an organiser or coordinator of a meet-up, please check the following list and update me in this thread if needed.

In the future, please tag or PM me with any new or additional info. Diolch yn fawr iawn! :slight_smile:

• Weekly Meetups -

Aberhonddu - (Brecon) – Fri, 11am, Tower Café, St Mary’s Church, St Marys St, Brecon, LD3 7AA (Contact @louiset641)

Abergavenny (Y Fenni) - Thurs, 1:30pm to 2:30pm, the Trading Post - Welsh Group ‘Siawns am Sgwrs’, Menter Iaith not SSiW group (contact @joshua-menter-bgtm / joshua@menterbgtm.cymru)

Abertawe (Swansea) - Sat, 10.00am to 12.00pm. Not SSiW but chat with others in Tŷ Tawe (Contact @leiafee)

Aberystwyth - ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE - Weds, 10.30am to 11.30pm, Byrger (opposite the Pier), Aberystwyth. (Contact @Nicky)

Brighton - Mon, 8.30pm at a pub in Brighton (Contact @markwatkinprice for venue)

Caerdydd (Mynydd Bychan) - Weds, 1pm to 2.30, Cant a Mil, 100 Whitchurch Rd, CF14 3LY (Contact @jo-7)

Caernarfon - Fri, 11 to 12pm, back room Caernarfon Library, Pavilion Hill, Caernarfon LL55 1AS (Contact @Rohini or call the library on 01286 679463 to check meeting is happening)

Casnewydd - Sat 10am to 12.00pm, Newport Central Library, third floor café area, John Frost Square, Newport NP20 1PA (contact @jacob-4)

Chepstow (Cas-gwent) - Weds 10 to 11am at Tŷ Croeso, Coffee Morning (Bore Coffi ) - Menter Iaith not SSiW group (contact @joshua-menter-bgtm / joshua@menterbgtm.cymru)

Coed Duon (Blackwood) - Thurs, 10.30 am to 12 noon, Wetherspoons, Blackwood, Gwent (Contact @janetliddington)

Cilgeti (Kilgetty) - Weds, 6.30 to 8pm, Begelly Arms, New Rd, Begelly, Kilgetty SA68 0YF (Contact @grettaem)

Cydweli (Kidwelly) - Weds, 6.30 to 7.30, Fishermans Arms, Bridge St, Cydweli/Kidwelly (Contact @byron)

Deganwy - Mon 6 Jan, 12.30, Castle View Bar & Restaurant, Pentywyn Rd, Deganwy LL31 9TH (Contact @harvey_fudge)

Dolgellau - Weds, 10am - 12pm, T.H Roberts cafe (upstairs). (Contact @margarethall)

East Coast USA Virtual Meetup - ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE - Thurs, 7pm to 8pm (US Eastern Time), see East Coast Time Zone Meetup Beginning for info on how to join (Contact @delawarejones)

Great Malvern - Thurs, 12.30pm to 2pm, Great Malvern Library Café (Contact @meirionwen)

Hirwaun - Thurs, 10.00am to 11.30am, Hirwaun Library (Contact @chrisdunn)

Liverpool (Lerpwl) - Mon, 7.30pm, (Doors open a little after 7:00, the two parallel language sessions start at 7:30, amser paned is about 8:30, then the centre closes at 9:00 or thereabouts) Canolfan Cymry Lerpwl, Capel Bethel, Auckland Rd, L18 0HX (Contact @mikefarnworth)

London (Llundain) - Thurs, 7.30pm to 10pm, upstairs at London Welsh Centre, 157-163 Grays Inn Rd, Holborn, London WC1X 8UE (Contact @KateM)

Llandrindod - Weds, 8pm, Arfon Ales, Temple St, Llandrindod (Contact @robbruce)

Llanelli - Mon, 7.30pm, The Colliers Arms, 12 Luton Tce, Furnace, SA15 4HR (Contact @aliC)

Llanidloes - Mon, 7pm - 9pm, Great Oak Bookshop, 35 Great Oak St, Llanidloes SY18 6BW - “We read some simple Welsh children’s stories, poems and well-known songs. Entry is free, bring cake or biscuits to share if you wish.” (Contact @andylecap)

Monmouth (Trefynwy) - Mon, 10am to 11.30am, Estero Lounge, Commerce House, 95-97 Monnow St, Monmouth NP25 3PS. Menter Iaith not SSiW group (contact @joshua-menter-bgtm / joshua@menterbgtm.cymru)

Oxford (Rhydychen) - Weds, 10.30am, Welsh Mike’s Bap Café, Abingdon Rd, OX1 4PE (Contact @johnwilliams_6)

Oxford (Rhydychen) - Fri, 12pm, The Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbes / Pembroke St (Contact @johnwilliams_6)

Penmachno - Thu, 7pm to 8.15pm, Tŷ Uchaf – The Eagles Pub, Penmachno, LL24 0UG (Contact @dgodber)

Pontypridd - Weds, 7pm to 9pm, Clwb y Bont, Taff St, Pontypridd (Contact @jonthomas)

Porth Tywyn - (Burry Port) - Fri, 12.00pm, Caffi Lolfa, Burry Port (Contact @carallywelyndavies)

Pwllheli - Sat, 10.30am to 12.30pm, Caffi Gwalia, Stryd Fawr, Pwllheli (Organisers: Lesley & Howard Jones, SSiW Contact @Daimorgan)

Talysarn - Weds, 7pm, in the Clwb Bach (Ex-Servicemen’s Club), Penygroes, LL54 6RN (Contact @norajones)

Wrecsam - Mon, 7.15pm, Saith Seren, 18 Chester St, Wrecsam, LL13 8BG (Contact @gruntius)

• Fortnightly / Monthly Meetups -

Aberdaugleddau (Milford Haven) - 1st Sat of the month, 10am, Phoenix Bowl, The Docks, Milford Haven, SA73 3AF (Contact @conrad-neyland)

Aberystwyth - 1st Sat of the month, 11am, Caffi y Crimson Rhino, Northgate St (Contact @diana)

Basingstoke - 3rd Tues of the month, 7.pm to 9pm at the Red Lion Hotel (Top of Town, Basingstoke RG21 7LX) (Contact @karenrutland)

Bath (Caerfaddon) - ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE - Fri, 11am 12pm All Bar One, High Street, Bath BA1 5AQ (Contact @karynyeeking)

Caerfyrddin (Carmarthen) - 7pm, Ivy Bush Hotel, Spilman St, Carmarthen SA31 1LG (Contact @margaretnock) - All 2020 dates - 04/03, 18/03, 01/04, 15/04, 29/04, 13/05, 27/05, 10/06, 24/06, 08/07, 22/07, 05/08 (Eisteddfod week, subject to change), 19/08, 02/09, 16/09, 30/09, 14/10, 28/10, 11/11, 25/11, 09/12

Caerdydd -1st Monday every month, 7pm - 9pm. Railway Hotel, Station Road, Llandaff North, Cardiff. (contact @Nova)

Caernarfon - 2nd & 4th Saturdays, 11am to 12pm, Palas Print bookshop (café in back) (Contact @Stine)

Cambridge (Caergrawnt) - Every last Tues of each month, 7.10pm, Panton Arms, 43 Panton St, Cambridge CB2 1HL (contact @maynard)

Cas-Gwent (Chepstow) - Clwb Brecwast Cas-gwent / Chepstow Breakfast Club - 4th Sat of the month, 10.30am to 12.00pm, The Lime Tree, Chepstow, Table usually round to the back of the pub. (Ask for Welsh Group by the bar) (contact @nic)

Ceredigion (Clonc-edigion travelling meetup) - Saturday 7th March 11.00am, Crwst, Aberteifi / Cardigan (contact @HuwJones)

Chelmsford - 4th Thursday of every month, 7pm (for 7.30), Chelmsford Cathedral Chapter House, Chelmsford (contact @Gwenno)

Cornwall (South East) - Weds March 4th, 10.30am, Jolly Roger Café, Finnygook Lane, Portwrinkle, Torpoint PL11 3BU (Contact @sara-5)

Coventry - TWICE MONTHLY, 1st & 3rd Thursday, 10am. Upstairs above the café, front of the Earlsdon Methodist Church, Coventry, CV5 6NF (contact Peter Lockyer by emailing info@coventrycambrian.co.uk)

Coventry - second Weds of the month, 6.30pm, Litten Tree, Coventry (contact @andyjone)

Derby - 9.30am to 12.30pm, Derby Friends Meeting House, St Helens Street, Derby (Contact @jonathan_simcock_7) - 2020 dates until June, 07/03, 04/04, 02/05, 06/06.

Dolgellau - TWICE MONTHLY, 1st and last Weds of the month, 7.30pm, Cross Keys, Dolgellau (Contact @gerpsych)

Dorridge - 2nd Mon of the month, 7.30pm, The Forest Hotel, Dorridge (Contact Aled James)

Exeter - 2pm, in the café in the Exeter Central Library. (Contact @steffan-parry)

Gloucester & Cheltenham - 2nd Weds of the month, 7.30pm, The Bell, Shurdington Rd, Shurdington GL51 4XQ (Contact @nic)

Hobart, Tasmania - 1st Weds of the month, 1.30pm, ‘Brookfield’, 1640 Channel Highway, Margate (Contact @guynicholson)

Herts/ Beds/ Bucks - 12pm, Roots Cafe, 22a High Street, Chesham HP5 1EP (contact @catriona)

Leicester - FORTNIGHTLY, Weds, 6.30pm, Bru Café (upstairs), 20-22 Granby St, Leicester LE1 1DE (Contact @Linda)

Leeds - 2nd Sat of the month (from Jan 2020), 11.30am, the bar of the Queen’s Hotel, at the end of the railway station building opposite the statue of the Black Prince across the road. (Contact @yorkshireend)

London (Llundain) – Llon-dain - The Touring London Meet Up - Llon-dain - The Touring London Meet Up - usually every 2 months, location TBC (Contact @peterallen)

Llandysul - 3rd Weds of the month, 7.45pm to 9.15pm, The Porth, Llandysul (Contact @Deborah-SSi)

Machynlleth - 2nd Sat of the month, 10.30am, Caffi Alys, Maengywn St, Machynlleth (Contact @helenlindsay)

Manchester (Manceinion) - 3rd Sat of the month, 10.30am, Café Siop Shop, 53 Tib St, M4 1LS (Contact @jeanbrandwood)

Milton Keynes - first Thurs of the month, 6pm to 7.30pm, Ye Olde Swan, Newport Rd, Woughton-on-the-Green, MK6 3BS (Contact @anncarolynjones)

New England, USA - 4th Sat of the month, 10:30am - 12 noon at Panera Bread, Evergreen Walk, 100 Hemlock Ave, South Windsor, CT (Contact @SusanDavies)

Norfolk - ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE - Thurs, 7.30 - 9.15pm, King’s Head, Norwich St, East Dereham, NR19 1AD (Contact @Maynard)

Penybont - 1st Sat of the month, 10.30am, Thomas Shop, Penybont, Radnorshire (Contact @robbruce)

Pen-y-bont ar Ogwr (Bridgend) – 2nd Sat of the month, 10am, upstairs at Il Panino, 1 Market St, CF31 1LL (Contact @dryw-bach)

Port Talbot - FORTNIGHTLY, Mon, 6.30pm, The Twelve Knights Hotel, Margam Rd, Port Talbot SA13 2DB (Contact @carin-harris)

Rugby - 3rd Sat of the month, 10:30am, Dobbies Garden Centre, Straight Mile, Bourton-on-Dunsmore, Coventry, CV23 9QQ (Contact @alice9 or @andyjone)

Sheffield - 2nd Sat of the month, 1pm, Hagglers Café, Queens Rd, S2 4DU (Contact @hilary_coveney)

Shotton - TWICE A MONTH, 1st & 3rd Thurs, 7pm to 9pm, Groves Community and Social Club, 29 Bridge St, Shotton, Connah’s Quay, Deeside CH5 1DU (Contact @richard-pooley)

Shrewsbury (Amwythig) - 1st & 3rd Thurs of the month, 7.30pm, Wild Pig Hotel, Amwythig, SY3 9JT (Contact @bryanroberts)

Sussex/Hants/Surrey (CACEN group), 2nd Sat of the month, 1pm to 4pm, Location varies - see the SSiW forum for updated info (Contact @markwatkinprice)

Thornbury - last Weds of the month (not Dec), 2.30pm, Hawkes House, Saint Mary Street,Thornbury, Bristol BS35 2AB (Contact @PhilgJones)

Torfaen - (FORTNIGHTLY) - 7.00pm to 9pm, The Upper Cock, The Highway, Croesyceiliog, Cwmbrân, Gwent, NP44 2HE (Contact @ji_1)

Washington D.C. - 1st Sat of the month, 10.30am to 12pm, Teaism at Penn Quarter, 400 8th St NW, Washington DC, 20004 (Contact @tahl)

Y Barri (Barry) - 3rd Thurs of the month, 10.30am to 11.30pm, Sir Samuel Romilly (Weatherspoons), Broad St in Barry (Contact @Arianrhod)

Y Fenni (Abergavenny) (Clwb Brecwast Y Fenni / Abergavenny Breakfast Club) - 2nd Saturday of every month, 9am - 10:30am. Meet in the Trading Post (1st floor) (Contact joshua@menterbgtm.cymru)

Y Groeslon (Groeslon) - 1st Fri of the month, 7pm, Neuadd Y Groeslon (Contact @Stine)

Ystradgynlais - 2nd Thurs of the month, 8pm to 9pm, Gough Arms (Café Chameleon), Ystradgynlais, SA9 1ES (Contact @geraintwynroberts)

6 Likes

Hi, our London meet up (there are some arranged by others too) happens about once every two months, not at set periods apart, so hopefully it can stay on your fortnightly/monthly list. It is also called Llon-dain but is listed as Llundain - the pun came about to try to match Nicky’s Clonc-edigion with us in London being cheery and the Ceredigion ones being chatty!

3 Likes

This is exactly the kind of info I need, thank you! :blush:

1 Like

It’s not specifically an SSiW meetup, but you could add the Dolgellau weekly meeting on Wednesday mornings in the T.H Roberts cafe. We’re there from 10.00 a.m. to around midday. Drop in whenever you want during that time. Several of us have used SSiW but we also have a couple of first language speakers who usually join us. We meet upstairs and there’s usually someone there every week. You could put me as the contact

1 Like

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda. The Leeds entry is all OK, nothing more needed.

Raymond

1 Like

Caerfyrddin is right, but missed out 8 Jan.

Caerfyrddin group, alternate Wednesday evenings. Ivy Bush Hotel, 7pm to 9pm

SSIW dates 2020,
8 Jan
22 Jan

5 Feb
19 Feb

4 March
18 Mar

1 Apr
15 April
29 Apr

13 May
27 May

10 June
24 June

8 July
22 July

5 August (Eisteddfod week, subject to change)
19 August

2 Sept
16 Sept
30 Sept

14 Oct
28 Oct

11 Nov
25 Nov

9 December

Hi Catrin, with regards to the Llanelli meet-up, can we change the contact details to myself, Ali on 07414804775. Will likely add Karen to that but need to get formal consent from her first of all.
Diolch.

Thank you all for replying! I greatly appreciate you updating me with the new information. I have updated where needed - so if something isn’t quite right, then please let me know.

I have made a note of all your dates for future reference @margaretnock - diolch! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Catrin

I do not live in London, but understand that there is a SSiW group that meets regularly in Pret à Manger at St Pancras. It is meeting this Sunday at around 12.30. The organiser is Marcus Whitfield, who is currently doing the SSiW course. I am not sure how active he is on the forum, or if this is instead or or as well as the meet up above.

I would be interested in starting a group in Droitwich, where I live, or more realistically in Worcester, which is nearby and much bigger. Does SSiW do anything, or have any materials, to support the creation of such groups?

(In addition, I have talked to @nia.llywelyn about starting an online book club and she mentioned that she had talked to you about it, but I am guessing that is a different conversation!)

Thank you for all your work - I love SSiW and learning Welsh!

Pob hwyl

Neil

1 Like

I see my name is given along with Deborah’s in connection with Ceredigion/Cloncedigion. I am quite happy to continue as the contact, but it seems that interest in Cloncedigion has nearly dwindled to extinction, perhaps because of weather or perhaps because there are other events which fit the bill throughout Ceredigion.

What I’ll do in a couple of weeks is post a message to see if there is sufficient will to renew what was a very enjoyable regular event.

2 Likes

Hi @neil-pyper, thank you so much for the information! I think the St Pancreas group is now a Croydon one, but there’s no new info on their schedule this year, as yet. Any news from your end @MarcusWhitfield?

We don’t currently have materials for groups, but what you could possibly do is set up a new thread to discuss ideas with other organisers and get some advice on how they do it? I’m sure there are others out there like you who are interested in getting something going but don’t quite know how to go about it yet.

Not quite sure about online book-club, but that may just be down to my tiredness and therefore lack of memory. I’m going to tag Nia in your message so she can get maybe jog my memory through a private message. :wink: In the meantime take a look at this thread.

Sounds like a fabulous plant Huw, diolch! Let’s hope you get a revival! :slight_smile:

Diolch yn fawr, Catrin! I have posted about an online book group on Welsh Speaking Practice, just to gauge how much interest there is. I will post something on the forum about a group in Worcester, again to see whether there is any interest.

1 Like

Oh no Croydon was only a one off. We are meeting at St Pancras again on Sunday 12th at 12.15pm and again in February.

Thank you @MarcusWhitfield! Just so I can keep up to date, is the thread below the one you’re still using for that meet-up group? Diolch :slight_smile:

Os is this the new one…?

https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/st-pancras-station-london/22081

Lets run with the One that has the september date on it,it has more responses, its ok to delete the other one if you like.

Great plan. Thank you! :It is once a month you meet?
:slight_smile:

Hi Catrin. The Port Talbot group meeting is every other week on a Monday evening for 6.30pm. We have moved venues to The 12 Knights, Margam Rd, Port Talbot SA13 2DB, and the next meeting will be on 20th January. Diolch

1 Like