This forum - How to ... & similar things

Mae’n ddrwg gen i!! I sent that last just before I discovered major problems with our internet connection!! (Still on-going, but inconsistent!). Your ‘boxes’ are now full, but I lost all access to this thread for the rest of the time between that post and this!! (I could access other threads, but trying to get this one ‘hung’ everything!!).
There is work going on installing fibre-optic cables out to Islands, notably Islay, and it seems to be playing havoc with everyone’s connections on the mainland!!! Yes, I am in Britain, but areas with low populations have to wait!!!

I believe there’s no difference from our country. Some really distant places (if anything can be distant in Slovenia) don’t even have electricity yet what about internet. Well, but those are rear though.

Some of our islands now have solar panels for electricity!! They had generators before, diesel I think.

Yah, everyone gets their own way around …

@tatjana, I had a search on Google and it seems there may be an Android app for Discourse, according to this thread here: https://meta.discourse.org/t/check-out-my-android-app-for-discourse/10714. I don’t have an Android phone myself, so I’m not able to try it, but anyone who does, feel free to give it a go. I’m not sure how you’d go about connecting to our forum from within it, but do let me know what seems to happen :smile:

I also saw something referring to an iOS app, but I haven’t been able to find it on either the UK or US app stores…

1 Like

Thank you to have a look into it but unfortunately this app no longer exists. The link is “empty”. I went further into browsing the app store a bit but didn’t find anything similar.

I wouldn’t even ask for app, but when I try to write on my phone or tablet it appears as if tabs on browser are covering the upper part of the writing box when you replaying so you can’t see what you’re writing almost at all. The uper (black “ribon” is also moving down and up as you scroll down and the notification, search, menu and profile “tabs” seam to be bugged. I can see upper (menu) bar when I turn tablet or phone as “landscape” format but the writing box appears equally “troubled”.

Well, it’s nothing of a big issue though but anyway. Will post screenshots later when I manage to upload them on my Dropbox.

EDIT:
Here are some screenshots from my tablet but the phone shows exactly the same.

Down the topic …

At the top

Let’s turn this around

And try to write something

And turn around again

Don’t try to read as it’s nothing there (no, it’s not Slovene either. It maybe could be some intergalactic language only I know about) … and, mods and admins, don’t worry, I didn’t spam forum with that but discarded the post when finished screenshoting. :slight_smile:

And (as it should be) the upper bar is moving down while scrolling however menu is still bugged.

Not that one could actually influence on this but it’s interesting appearance since discourse somehow writes on their site it’s totally adapted to mobiles and you need no apps.

I know there’s the way to “hide” browser tabs just like on the computer but I’m quite new to the tablets and some things I just have to learn yet. (my son just taught me how to do screenshots on tablet. - hehe) .

Oh, tech world is fun in deed … :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, things and issues happen (even to me) and I need some help here. Does someone know how to quote parts of one post of the forum on android tablet? (If it’s possible at all)

Diolch yn fawr iawn.

When I mark text with my android mobile, I get a light box suggesting “quote reply”. I did it with this reply.

1 Like

I didn’t get one, that’s why I’ve asked. I could mark the text but no matter what I did next it didn’t work as it does on the computer. Must I set something? (Yah for such things and things described in previous posts I believe Discurs should better create an android ap. They’re not totally adapted to mobiles and tablets at all (as they write on the site))

What about if you mark text and copy it to clipboard and then hit that reply button and paste? I vaguely remember doing this and that the text was surrounded with quote tags.

Tried that too, but didn’t work. Text was as it would be plane. Unfortunately I forgot BB php codes for this. I believe they’re [quote][/quote] I’ll test this later as I’m on the computer now.

Yep, those are right.

2 Likes

Diolch. :sunny:

On the new forum you can use Markdown instead, if you like, which is just a case of starting a line with a >

like this

(> like this)

1 Like

Aha! I’ll try it when occassion occurs. I love to work on the forum mostly from the computer the most though, but sometimes when I sit and drink coffee while waiting bus to go home I can’t resist but post something or at least read a forum …

Thank you for this suggestion @wondersheep. I somehow forgot existence of those “codes” instead . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, as the topic is here I’ll use it to the bits, not only to praise and complain but to give some instruction on how to (I hope I can do that. If it’s annoying, let me know).

I’ve seen elswhere on the forum that some people have some difficulties with how to send PM (private message) so let’s work out this one for the beginning:

Let’s say I want to send PM to @AnnaC. You can either send it directly from where you have seen her (what means from the topic or list directly from her “icon” or you can go to her profile and send it from there.

From the list of topics

From the profile

From within any topic

When you get the message box opened it’s easy: type the title of the message and text, hit send button and you’re done. However if you are sending the PM (what means the first message is yours) double check the written because you will not be able to edit it once sent. and more importantly this said is only valid for the first message in a row. All replies are editable by the person who sent them. Also such (first PM (original post)) can’t be deleted aswell.

One more note, If you sent PM directly from the topic, the link to that particular topic will be provided in a post as a quote. If you don’t want it to appear, you can simply delete that link and - UALLA - the quote disappears aswell.

Some screenshots:

And at the end as I very often am missunderstood: Please, note that I created this post in order to help those who might not be too familiar with how to use this feature of the forum and I by any means don’t want to make anyone feel stupid or patronized.

Happy PMing. :slight_smile:

EDIT for the bit of addition here

I knew, but I just kind of wasn’t aware earlier about this:
When you write and send a message you might want to be a bit sorry you didn’t send it to someone else and not just one person instead of sending 5 separate exactly the same messages. To avoid sending several same messages to different people (if it’s not a whispering secret and they mustn’t know for one another to get it - hehe - ) you can add people to the conversation (that’s how messages are officially called on discourse) later on when you already snet message out.

I’ll use my New year’s message to demonstrate it (one will get it additionally as good wishes are never too many).

• Go to the original post of the PM. Beneath the post you’ll see the statistics thingy like who is the “member of the conversation”, how many times the post was viewed, how many replies it has got and who replied … Beneath that statistics you will find button “Invite others”

• Click the button and the floating window appears where you can add whoever you want to the “talking mix”.

• According to your typing the names of members appear on the screen and you can just choose from them if the one you search for is there.

• When you click it the name appears in the row.

• All you have to do now is clicking on the tab “Send Invite” and the person is added among receivers of the message. If the person is not the right one, you can delete it before clicking the button with the X sign besides their name. This way you can invite more persons at once.

• When clicking the button “Send Invite” the thing is done and you get the message on the screen which lets you know the invite was sent and person was added to the conversation and you can only click button “Close” to that.

As you see on the picture, @netmouse just got the prety New Year’s message. :slight_smile:

I hope you don’t mind @netmouse as it passed already half a month of the start of the new year. :slight_smile:

However, when you invite people to the conversation, you can not put them out anymore so choose carefully who you add additionally.

You can do this not only with PMs, you’ve sent, but also with those the other people have sent to you so CAUTION needed. :slight_smile:

And, just for the record … you can invite people not only to the PM conversation but also to any public topic on this forum, no matter who started it but in this case the button “Invite” is at the very bottom of it.

From there on, the procedure is exactly the same.

Happy posting again!

4 Likes

@Tatjana Thank you for this - it is going to be a very useful post for people. I could have used it earlier today! It took me a while to figure out how to send my first PM this afternoon. I did it from within the topic, and I wasn’t too sure it was going to do what I wanted until I saw that the message really didn’t show up in the topic when I was done. :slight_smile: I didn’t know there were alternate ways to do it - now I do! And I definitely didn’t know this:

So diolch yn fawr, great information!

(P.S. Imagine my surprise to see myself as the example… now I feel a tiny bit famous :blush: :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

YAY! I’m doing what I like to do the most:

I’ve seen that some people might have troubles with finding persons who are not displayed in the category list or in the topic. Se, here it goes this one:

So you can use this method for searching for topics you wish to find or for persons. As I’ve said in picture, spelling is important. I’ve misspelled our dear Elizabeth with “s” first and didn’t find almost anything.

Clicking on the icon/link of the person or topic will take you directly there. From the profile you usually can establish if the person is the one you search or not especially as there in the profile you can also see the topics which that person posted in.

Don’t mind that @elizabeth_j_corbett_ which I’ve took as example is actually visible on the screen. Following instructions you’ll find those “hidden” people too as long as they are members of the forum (didn’t establish yet if they have to post something in the forum too to be visible or not but I believe the only condition is to be a member though). However, you can always play around with searching different variations.

Happy search and find-ings :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is hugely valuable, Tatjana, diolch yn fawr iawn. I wonder what the best way would be to make sure that your hard work here is visible to as many people as possible? Do we need one ‘how to use the forum’ thread, or would it be better to have several ‘how to do [x] on the forum’ threads? Or maybe both?

Diolch @aran. I was pondering my thoughts for quite some time to do one PDF document about “how to” do several things on the forum to put them into FAQ section but then … who ever read those. So I believe one topic would be perfectly enough. Actually we don’t even need one new. I simply can edit the title of this like “This forum - how to & similar” or something like this so that some first posts wouldn’t be too off topic in it. Actually being overwhelmed with the forum when I started this topic, there also are some “how to” quick mentions in the posts so they can easily stay as they are.

Handling photos is separate topic though and I’m just about to make a post about how to resize photos and post them on here and I’d just put link to that post in this topic aswell so that people would find that answer if comming in here too.

If you have other idea, let me know.

1 Like